Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N85 on Meteor.

• 09-06-2009 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi everybody, i've just purhased the Nokia N85 on meteor and think it's a great phone. I'm just wondering do, when browsing the net and i'm connected to a wireless network, will this bypass the GPRS connection?

Cheers for any help.

T.J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭bongotime

how much was it buddy. I heard this dodgy deal you can do

basically you buy a 02 bill phone for 90euro or wahtever you get the phone in the post

take the sim card and break it in half.

cool right then you get the bill a month later 30euro pay it. and thats it.

you just got a 500 phone for 120euro.

sounds cool heard it the weekend someone I know did it and gave the phone to his bird:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I actually got a really good deal, I bought it the 3G store in the Wilton shopping centre in Cork. It was a Polish girl I was dealing with and we getting on grand while doing the deal. Anyway the phone was supposed to cost me €129 on the talk 300 package, but the Polish girl gave me the friends and family discount of €50!! A great phone for €79!!!
    A pity she was engaged....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 keeluz

€79 for the Nokia N85? That's class...it's prices at €179.99 on the Meteor web site. How did you get the Friends and Family discount?

If you're using a free Wi-Fi hot spot, internet access if free.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

The girl was just being friendly and gave me the discount, i'm not even a friend or family!! I suppose I could say that I was flirting with her a bit :D
    Anyway, I think that price of €179 is for the lowest of the Meteor packages, it's €129 for the talk300 package which works out at €50 a month. That package suits my usage best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

bongotime wrote: »

basically you buy a 02 bill phone for 90euro or wahtever you get the phone in the post

sounds cool heard it the weekend someone I know did it and gave the phone to his bird:rolleyes:

Would your friend not be getting a bill for the next 12 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

He can look forward to a call from some debt collectors demanding €360 assuming he signed up to a €30 per month tariff for 12 months. I'm confused as to what difference you think breaking the sim in half makes....

thats why I heard everybody is doin it mate.

you pay the first 30 euro for the first month.

but since your not using the sim thats it thats all you pay is 30 euro. and off course the you pay for the phone. your not using the sim so there is no bill.

get someone on here to try and see if it works. and the scumbags are doin it mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

but since your not using the sim thats it thats all you pay is 30 euro. and off course the you pay for the phone. your not using the sim so there is no bill.

get someone on here to try and see if it works. and the scumbags are doin it mate.
    What age are you ?12

As someone who worked in a phone shop for three years I can guarantee you there is a bill, what you do with the sim makes zero difference. In the shop you give them your name, address, date of birth, probably bank details and employer's name among other things. Because you've given them all this information they feel secure enough to give you a heavily discounted phone when you promise to pay them at least €30 for 12 months. Sometimes they don't feel secure enough and ask for a deposit before they will trust you.

Then if you don't pay the bills that show up at your door for the next 12 months, they sell this debt onto debt collectors who show up at your door and demand the money from you.

The only way to avoid this is to give them fraudulent details

• Advertisement

well I know someone that has been done it last year and it works and loads of people scumbags all around dublin are doing it.

your not using the sim so tech there is no bill

well I know someone that has been done it last year and it works and loads of people scumbags all around dublin are doing it.

your not using the sim so tech there is no bill

I think if you say it a fourth time it might just become true. In reality you got a €500 phone for €90 so there most definitely is a bill

he easy up there 12 like. thats just what I hear all the lads doin. its a new scam.

he easy up there 12 like. thats just what I hear all the lads doin. its a new scam.

Oh it's not new. I got probably 10 people a week trying it but they were generally smart enough to use fake details because they know people will show up at their house otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

And it has to be from the last 3 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Hi everybody, i've just purhased the Nokia N85 on meteor and think it's a great phone. I'm just wondering do, when browsing the net and i'm connected to a wireless network, will this bypass the GPRS connection?

Cheers for any help.

T.J.

Op there was so much ****e talk everyone forget your question!

The answer is yes. Once your using a wifi connection home, or a wireless hotspot you wont be paying your network anything.

Cant believe that someone would think breaking a sim would void a contract, its not a scam its just stupid. The only one who wins are the debt collectors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    He can look forward to a call from some debt collectors demanding €360 assuming he signed up to a €30 per month tariff for 12 months. I'm confused as to what difference you think breaking the sim in half makes....

i'm sure that the IMEI would be blacklisted pretty sharpish too. this is gas, it's gotta be some sort of trollishism:D

Advertisement