Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Given extra duties which are affecting my own job

Options
  • 09-06-2009 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work a web developer with a company employing 1000 people in offices throughout Ireland.

Recently the IT administrator left the company and as things are tough right now he is not being replaced. The IT Manager divided his duties between two of us but said the company would not be willing to increase our salarys to compensate for the increased workload.

The other employee works as a purchaser and their own workload has decreased dramatically recently as there is less purchasing going on. However my job is as busy as ever.

I agreed to take on the extra duties for a trial period. The Manager said he was not making us take on the work but as good as said that it would be better for us if we did it as the company is actively laying off staff at present.

After 4 weeks the extra work has meant that I am constantly interrupted and struggle to get my own work done.

I'm thinking of telling my manager this but wonder if I will be giving him an excuse to let me go if I do. Should I speak to HR about it or go straight to my manager?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

try deal with your manager first. he might get pd off if you go straight to HR. its always best to only involve them as a last resort IMO.

to be honest increased duties that are outside your job spec should warrant some form of pay increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Initially when the it admin left I told IT Manager I would take on extra duties if there was a salary increase.
    He talked to Management who told him there would be no pay increases and that they were looking to downsize our team anyway. If the IT admin hadn't left one of us was being let go.

Advertisement