Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a small office network

Options
  • 09-06-2009 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if some one can educate me a bit.

I’m going to set up a server network in the new office and was wondering how to go about it. we have the following

1 server running serve 2003
    1 Dlink DES 1024d switch
    1 Broadband modem router from BT
    and about 10 desktop pc's and a few laptops (which I would like to e wifi)
    1 network printer oki c9600

now I have setup a few home networks in the past and pretty much fiq I can try and do this my self before calling in some one (trying to save some cash)

is my understanding correct if I config the loop as follows

server connects to router and then the switch o the router as well and the rest of the pc's connecting to the switch.

so basically the router issues the ip's and the server only holds the files.

will this work or is there allot more to it and I’m biting off more then I can chew

thanks

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would connect everything to the switch. I don't see any need to connect the server directly to the router.

Just treat the server like another PC for all intents and purposes. It's not that different to setting up a home network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi there,

Has this equipment been set up in an old office of your before or is it brand new and un configured? The reason I ask is it is pretty easy to plag everything in and even with basic tweaking get the whole lot online etc but server 2003 can be tricky to set up properly.

Say for example, do you want all the files stored centrally? Do you want everyone to log onto the server using a username and password? Do you want security set up? Do you need a firewall configured? Do you have a virus package to protect your network, especially if you use laptops, they are much more likely to bring bugs in? Any finally how critical is this network?

These would be just a sample of question Id ask before I would recommend eveything. It is no good if your system is mission critical running your business say and I can just hack in through the wireless in 30 seconds. Or worse your server dies and you have no back up etc.

A well put together network and system runs like a machine, needs to be serviced like a machine and if you really want it put togther right you might need a little help. I know cash is tight these days but a pro would through this together for you in a few hours. Id get a contract price so you know what your paying, dont pay by the hour. Im sure where you are there are probably loads of people looking for work, spread the wealth (well what ever is left over of the wealth!!!) :)

If you wanna ask more detailed wuestions please do..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, Eoghan's on the ball there in terms of "before you start". I had assumed that you were transplanting equipment from one place to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

FusionNet wrote: »
    Hi there,

Has this equipment been set up in an old office of your before or is it brand new and un configured? The reason I ask is it is pretty easy to plag everything in and even with basic tweaking get the whole lot online etc but server 2003 can be tricky to set up properly.

Say for example, do you want all the files stored centrally? Do you want everyone to log onto the server using a username and password? Do you want security set up? Do you need a firewall configured? Do you have a virus package to protect your network, especially if you use laptops, they are much more likely to bring bugs in? Any finally how critical is this network?

These would be just a sample of question Id ask before I would recommend eveything. It is no good if your system is mission critical running your business say and I can just hack in through the wireless in 30 seconds. Or worse your server dies and you have no back up etc.

A well put together network and system runs like a machine, needs to be serviced like a machine and if you really want it put togther right you might need a little help. I know cash is tight these days but a pro would through this together for you in a few hours. Id get a contract price so you know what your paying, dont pay by the hour. Im sure where you are there are probably loads of people looking for work, spread the wealth (well what ever is left over of the wealth!!!) :)

If you wanna ask more detailed wuestions please do..

there is a system in place in the old office however I don’t know who installed it and it does not suit we have a server but its under the desk not plugged in instead what the person has done is to install a 64bit server 2003 on a normal crapy dell desktop (32bit) so its not running as it should. hence I want do it different.

what I can see on the existing network is router into switch, switch to every thing except the printer that is plugged into the router. and all the laptops is running of the broadband modem.

for security we have MacAfee 2009 on all the pc's and laptops. and for a firewall some one told me that smooth wall is pretty straight forward to setup the network is not the most critical thing I just fiq we have all this equipment we may as well use it. and the only reason we have the server is for the printer and a local place to store all the files for each person to access as needed. I don’t think every one needs to log into the server with its own username and password (we are not doing it now)

also I’m just trying to set the thing up so that if we do expand later in the year we wont have to spend 2 weeks trying to move every thing around where we can now do it in a blank building before the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 suzi su

Don't load on Vista 64 bit whatever you do!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

The problem is, with a network like that you cant expand. The reaons for this is you dont have a detailed picture of your network, nor do you have back up proticalls in place and if the server died tomorrow you might be up a creek.

Setting up a clean system is pretty straight forward but needs a bit of planning. What we normally do is do a full audit first. That means you take every piece of active gear like PCs, switches etc and you document it. Write down its brand, serial number, software key and its role in the network. Dont forget to gather all your licences and software and store them, even small companies can get audits. This is a good exercise because when you start looking at your network even a small one you can see things you never noticed before.

After this is done I would then ask the question, what do we need to get out of this kit? The reason I like the log in service on Server 2003 is that all my files persoanl etc are stored on the server but no everyone can see them. Also this log in decides (depending how you set it up) who has access to what. For example, if you have an accounts package do you want the new guy just starting to have access to it. Setting up a network can also depend on you paranoia level. Sometimes you can go over the top but its no harm to secure things a little tight.

I think after you do an audit and you decide what you need then its a matter at looking at your kit and making it work hard for the money you paid for it. As you say you have server 2003 running on a pc that is not designed for it, that could crap out and where will that leave you. Your antivirus, that brand is very processor hungry so by having that on an older PC or laptop you might find that your network slows down. As for smooth wall Im no expert in that, thats where I would hand you over to my expert!!

Can I ask. With this move will you have the luxery of a new cabling system, comms area and enclosed rack for the server and electronics or is it an under the desk job?!! :p

Advertisement