Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What power supply you need

Options
  • 09-06-2009 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

A while back there was a bit of heated debate on the amount of wattage people need for their various systems. I think this is a great article and clears up a lot of issues people have i.e. buying 1000watt power supplies for gaming pcs

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/system-wattage.html

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Epic article that. Me and a good few others have been screaming about this for years :P

My comp surfing teh web is gobbling up about 28W DC. Gaming it can't hit 200W without me going utterly mental with the FSB and RivaTuner :D More like 150W at worst. On a side-note I love my lil' Odin GT ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Solitaire wrote: »
    Epic article that. Me and a good few others have been screaming about this for years :P

My comp surfing teh web is gobbling up about 28W DC. Gaming it can't hit 200W without me going utterly mental with the FSB and RivaTuner :D More like 150W at worst. On a side-note I love my lil' Odin GT ;)

Nice what wattage did you get? whats the noise like?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Well, seeing as my cheapie Thermaltake combobay's 120mm intake is helping my accursed Vanquisher make a lovely racket (bearing on the TT already sounds like its on the way out :mad: ) I can't really hear the Odin (nor my Sapphire HD4830) much. By the time my graphics card needs to spin up its fan when I'm gaming my temps get high enough to get the Odin to bump up my two Akasa 80mm screamers up front to over 9V anyway so there's no chance I'm going to hear my Odin's fan (or the graphics card either!) by then ;)

Just glad I kept EIST on my OCd E5200; pretty much anything other than gaming or priming is so beneath it it doesn't need to run above 1.6GHz except when I power up the system. And as said Sapphire idles at 160/500MHz in 2D (at which point it runs passive) my power draw when on the web or playing music or DVDs is microscopic :P

Then again, like XBit said a mildly OCd E5200/HD4830 combo (3.33GHz, 650/1900MHz) doesn't exactly set the world on fire vis-a-vis global warming... Having a 550W CWT is complete overkill but a) OCUK had a big discount on the Odin when I needed a replacement PSU and b) being a gadget junkie and experimenter I really wanted to play with P-Tuner :D Plus its the first modern, efficient PSU I've owned (the old StealthXStream doesn't count :P) with that lovely "80Plus" thingie. The AC wattage is the only thing you can't measure with the onboard DVM but as it's usually 82-85% efficient in Europe (god bless 230VAC) I guess I'm not even managing to use 200W AC when gaming :)

Advertisement