Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabinet Reshuffle

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Het-Field wrote: »
    A huge vaccum exists here. There is little or no talent, accumen, or political nous. All it is is a bunch of career politicians.

Unfortunately that's what we're lumped with. Talentless muppets like Cullen and Coughlan, and a whole bunch of career politicians some of whom never had a proper job in their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's what we're lumped with. Talentless muppets like Cullen and Coughlan, and a whole bunch of career politicians some of whom never had a proper job in their lives.

Excuse me! Ill have you know that some of them are still claiming money from their old teaching days!!!!!!!!!:mad::D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

solice wrote: »
    Excuse me! Ill have you know that some of them are still claiming money from their old teaching days!!!!!!!!!:mad::D

Oh I'm well aware of that don't worry. And not just racking up pension entitlements either, a few of them are* actually still being paid some of their old salary (the difference between the salary they were on and what salary their replacement gets). Which is truly staggering.

*Or at least were until very recently. Has this been changed by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

solice wrote: »

Unfortunately strokes like this are still being pulled by Opposition members. It's perfectly legal etc but it bugs me to no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I think we might see Biffo put his own stamp on Cabinet this time. I'd expect to see a few new faces from the Minister of State ranks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

ninty9er wrote: »
    I think we might see Biffo put his own stamp on Cabinet this time. I'd expect to see a few new faces from the Minister of State ranks.

That didn't work too well last time. Batt O'Keefe doesn't strike me a inspiring and I much preferred Mary Hanafin. I do concede though that he has a tough job in education.

However the FF cabinet has been pretty much the same since 1997 so I'd welcome some new faces but not for its own sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dave-higgz wrote: »
    That didn't work too well last time. Batt O'Keefe doesn't strike me a inspiring and I much preferred Mary Hanafin. I do concede though that he has a tough job in education.

I don't know, he's been tackling some really nasty and unpopular issues like the reintroduction of fees and isn't making a total mess of things. He's got a tough portfolio and is at least holding his own in it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ninty9er wrote: »
    Whose stamp is on it currently?

kbannon wrote: »
    Whose stamp is on it currently?
    Bertie's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Brian Cowens buddies are in the top 2 spots, Finance and Enterprise.

I think Lenihan has to go. He announced he made a mistake with VAT but did not correct it in the budget. But I can honestly say I have no idea who should take over the role.

• Advertisement

dave-higgz wrote: »
    Hanafin was good and I liked her style. Batt's isn't better or worse, just different and there are obviously people who don't see that.

He's taking so long to come to a decision on fees, because access is taking precedence over who pays, or how fees would be paid.

It's a slow process, but it's not going to bankrupt the economy overnight.

Advertisement