Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invisible bed delivery

Options
  • 09-06-2009 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

A bit wound up at the moment –*DH and myself ordered a new mattress on sale for half price at (can I name the big city centre department store, or is that a no-no?) last Wednesday... spent €739 including delivery and were promised by the salesperson it was in stock and would be at Laitly Towers "Late this week, early next week".

Last Thursday I rang their delivery centre, who told me it would be delivered Tuesday. This morning at 9.30 I rang the delivery centre again to confirm the time and was told the mattress wasn't even in the warehouse, no sign of it, and they'd called the department store yesterday to pass on the news. According to the warehouse, the store was supposed to have called us to let us know yesterday.

Now, understandably, I'm unhappy.

Wondering what my rights are, as I was told by 2 parties the mattress would be with us by now and suddenly it's nowhere to be found. I've called the store but there was no answer in the department, so left a message and will call back around 10.30.

Suggestions?
    Support?
    Nifty phrases that can be used in negotiating a compromise?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd be looking for a few euro off (say 20-30 which is likely a delivery charge) based on the fact you likely had to stay home from work to wait for a delivery that never came.

In addition they haven't proactively called you to tell you of issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridget.laitly

Cheers! I've rung the store again and still no answer –*went straight to voicemail. Called the warehouse again and they can't even say where my mattress is. They did offer to get someone from the store to ring me back – definitely going to get delivery charge refunded... the lack of service is shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

if it's the dept store i think it is then this is commonplace; no comfort to you,i know. what you need to is kick up absolute murder, it's the only thing that wll work. as Cabaal said,certainly look for a discount of some sort. try and get the name of the salesperson you dealt with, as, if it's the store i suspect, there is a repeat offender who palms problems off on other members of staff!:rolleyes:

if it's the dept store i think it is then this is commonplace; no comfort to you,i know.

I think you've got the idea –*and I suspected this was the case but we wanted to support Irish business rather than going up north. Lesson learned.

here's the latest:
    After 4 calls from my phone DH had a go and got the salesman we'd dealt with last week in one try.
    Without letting DH get a word in, the salesman went into a long excuse of just having gotten my messages now, and that there was a stock taking that happened the day after we visited and "the whole store just shuts down."

Does it matter that he'd told us the day we were in that the mattress had to be delivered was because they don't keep stock at the store?
    Or that, as Cabaal pointed out, he wasn't proactive in contacting us - especially since this mystical stock taking shut the store down?

He rushed DH off the phone and called back a few minutes later –I took the call. Now the mattress can't be with us any earlier than Friday. When I asked why he hadn't called yesterday when the warehouse told him the thing wasn't in he cut me off with promises of "setting it right"... more like, don't tell my boss.
    Ugh.
    So I've been told I'll be compensated for the foul up and he'll call me personally with the delivery time. Still feeling rather grouchy about the whole thing –this will definitely be the last time I order something through this store, too many excuses and zero action!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

go to the store and confront the sales man and kick up a stink about his stupidity etc

how can he not know, something that is going, that will affect deliveries to customers is on the day after etc either he is totally useless at his job or the whole system is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

the store i suspect is involved doesn't do a stocktake around now,perhaps i'm mistaken in my judgement!anywho,i'd say it's well time to go over his head; talk to his supervisor/dept manager and explain. stay calm and tell them everything you've told us. mention that you had to take time off work and that is unnacceptable right now. if it does nothing demand to speak to the store manager!

The drama continues...

Heard back at 10.15 this morning from sales person, who's only duty is apparently to confirm the mattress is now in the country –*I'll have to contact the transport agent to confirm what time they'll bring it to me.

(Good to know I'm a top priority. Not only did they drop the ball last week, and this week, but now I'm responsible for getting this poxy thing delivered at a time which suits someone else.)

Salesperson then offered me a €50 make-good for our troubles, which was as he said "the best that I can do." I said that simply isn't enough to make up for time lost, fumbled schedules and lack of service.

The department manager will be calling me at 11.30 when he gets in, although I'm preparing to head into the store as, based on their record to date, I probably won't be getting that call any time soon. :mad:

Waited in the shop to talk to the manager and was told 2 hours later he'd gone to lunch! Ten minutes after leaving I was contacted by the missing manager; I got an apology, double the store credit and my delivery charge refunded...plus the opportunity to give him absolute hell.

The mattress arrived at 9 a.m. on the button this morning (but had nothing to do with the store, they were very clear early on they had nothing to do with delivery times) and it's heaven!

Still SHOCKED and totally appalled at how this very well known city centre department store was in handling the issue –this was our first and last big purchase from them. Not only are they clueless in how to deal with an unhappy customer... but apparently they're unable to face them.

Want more details? PM me and I'll dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement