Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 100-400mm L Lens

• 09-06-2009 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭

Hello all

I'm off to the US in just under 3 wks and NY is one of my destinations anyway my main passion with photography at the moment is nature, birds mainly. As it turns out a certain B&H is just round the corner from my hotel :) I've being using an EF-s 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS for over a year now and its not a bad lens at all but 250mm is short on reach. So i've had my eye on the Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS USM for quite a few months now and i think it might just be the ticket. I'm kinda pushing it budget wise as is to get this. I'm aware of NY tax and Customs duty etc... so just comments on the lens would be great. ;)

Ta

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

I find the lens great, its weigh's over 3lbs so one thing you have to consider when walking around with it for a few hours.Also get a good Opteh strap because (in my opinion) the canon one is not as robust to hold the weight.

On the crop body you will find it tack sharp, if you wanted to add a 1.4X converter the lens "WILL NOT " work in Auto Focus ( manually all the way)

Other than that I would recommend it, the push pull system brings some dust into the lens but never bothered me ( I know some would have issues with it)
    The Sigma 50-500 f4 is another one that has great reviews and in the same price range, this uses the normal twist/rotation for the 50-500 zoom range

Canon 100-400 has a pull/pus system (like a trombone) to go from 100-400mm

Hope i am explaining it ok?? but theses are the main issues with the lens.

If you need any examples of photos taken with the lens I can point you to some of my images. Or PM me here and I'll send on a few

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

2642F5222C3C492681B37B00E43FA467-800.jpg

Handheld shot in St Anne's park and will be the 1st to admit I was lucky as the Robin flew over near me and stayed there for ages!

I quite like this lens but only have it a few months and have not really used it much due to various reasons...ie rain at Cricket grounds!!

I've read on numerous forums about the dust getting in but as many as I've read saying that I've read that it hasn't!

The pull/push format is excellent too and very easy to get used too, the weight wasn't a problem as it's actually lighter than the 70-200L IS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's a great lens when you have good light. It's not the fastest lens out there, but it well built and has very good reach.

I've also never had problems with dust in this lens.

Well worth considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

Steelydan99:

thats spot on thanks for info and tips :)

Animalrights:

that Robin shot is fantastic and so sharp, thats the kind of shots i'll be looking for with this lens, thanks for posting :) by the way i bought a 70-200L F4 off you there a while back cheers.

PaulW:

Yeah i thought it might not be the fastest but i might live with that and have good range and image quality thanks for the reply. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Fredrick wrote: »
    Animalrights:

by the way i bought a 70-200L F4 off you there a while back cheers.
    Hah! the guy with the sporty white car!
    I remember now, you sold it on within a few weeks did you not?
    Guess what the last lens was I bought?
    Yep the same lens but with IS...bought it 2nd hand for 750 or so.
    Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

2642F5222C3C492681B37B00E43FA467-800.jpg

Handheld shot in St Anne's park and will be the 1st to admit I was lucky as the Robin flew over near me and stayed there for ages!

I quite like this lens but only have it a few months and have not really used it much due to various reasons...ie rain at Cricket grounds!!

I've read on numerous forums about the dust getting in but as many as I've read saying that I've read that it hasn't!

The pull/push format is excellent too and very easy to get used too, the weight wasn't a problem as it's actually lighter than the 70-200L IS.

Fantastic photo! :eek:

Go on, be honest - that's a stuffed birdie that you brought with you ;)

Hah! the guy with the sporty white car!
    I remember now, you sold it on within a few weeks did you not?
    Guess what the last lens was I bought?
    Yep the same lens but with IS...bought it 2nd hand for 750 or so.
    Love it.

Yep its a great quality lens but didnt fancy carrying the tripod around is all :) Yeah i do remember you mentioning it, nice price you got it for ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

Taken in Fota with the 100-400

1454440582_ae2780c80a.jpg?v=0

This one taken through wire fence

249636872_5d639272a0.jpg?v=0

Taken in Fota with the 100-400

1454440582_ae2780c80a.jpg?v=0

This one taken through wire fence

249636872_5d639272a0.jpg?v=0

Nice shots steelydan99 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 forrest5000

I have had one for the last three years and its a great lens, worth using a mono pod with it as its pretty heavy.
    Conn's cameras have a 2nd hand one at the moment, if you're interested
    John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Not a bad lens, I had one but sold it for the 120-300 2.8.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Borderfox wrote: »
    sold it for the 120-300 2.8.

If you add a 1.4x teleconverter to this you have a 168-420mm f4 which in my opinion is a better alternative to the 100-400 from Canon. It will cost a little more though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭schoolbag2

Canon USA are doing a $100 rebate on the 100-400 not sure how it would work for non us residents

http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/software/camera/Lens_rebate_May2009.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

schoolbag2 wrote: »
    Canon USA are doing a $100 rebate on the 100-400 not sure how it would work for non us residents

It doesn't. You have to be a US resident, with proof of residency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I know the dollar is low at the moment but don't forget to factor in NYC sales tax (8.375%) when comparing prices with what's being charged this side of the pond, and that you'll probably get no warranty support when you get home so check if they sell 'grey' models which are sourced from distributors outside the US and which are usually cheaper than the official Canon USA models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

B & H have a grey market version of this lens but it's out of stock. At the price they're quoting (1,489), it would work out at USD 1,614.73 incl. NYC sales tax which at today's rates is EUR 1,145.

On Calumet it's GBP 1,319.36 which is EUR 1,537 so you're looking good to save some money ok but you should register on the B & H website to be notified when it's in stock....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/162616-GREY/Canon_2577A002AA_100_400mm_f_4_5_5_6L_IS_USM.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Ever consider the 150-500mm OS sigma or 50-500 Sigma? A slower lens than the 100-400 though.

Thanks Lads for the comments its all noted i think i'll try get the grey import hopefully they will have this type in stock as i'm only their for 2 days. If not i'll have to get the US version.

I was live chatting with one of B&H's staff and asked could i pay a deposit on one and he told me if its over $1500 i cant. Theres another crowd called Adorama that sells this for the same price will check do they sell the grey.

Patrick

Ballyman wrote: »
    If you add a 1.4x teleconverter to this you have a 168-420mm f4 which in my opinion is a better alternative to the 100-400 from Canon. It will cost a little more though!

Yeah it might be better but like i said i'm pushing it budget wise as is ;)
    Thirdfox wrote: »
    Ever consider the 150-500mm OS sigma or 50-500 Sigma? A slower lens than the 100-400 though.

Yeah you can never have enough reach eh but the 100-400 is slow as is so slower again i don't know, i will have a look at these ta.

Advertisement