Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Cars Expesive In U.K Or Ireland

• 09-06-2009 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Are Cars Expesive In U.K Or Ireland

I am after a E Class Merc 05 , Is it better to buy from U.K or Eire

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

with the ways things are going, u mite get similarly priced merc in eire, + less hassle, whats the initial budget??

how does this sound ?? http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/914560
    against this http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1050479.htm

i think cheaper in eire

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

I am gettig a loan o credit card

how much do you think for E220 CDI Avatguard 05 Plate

pablosd wrote: »
    with the ways things are going, u mite get similarly priced merc in eire, + less hassle, whats the initial budget??

well the one i posted up above is 17.500e http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/914560

expect prices around that, obviously dealer will try to rip u off, but dnt bother they are not worth more than 18k really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

topdost wrote: »
    I am gettig a loan o credit card

Do you mean you're getting a loan on your credit card? - like you don't have cash (or other financing) and are going to put the whole price of the car on your card? If so, be careful to check the interest rate on your CC - they can be 15% or higher, and at that rate the difference in price between the UK and Ireland would be the least of your worries. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

I thought the UK cars generally had a better spec as standard over the Irish one? Meaning more reason to buy from the UK:confused:

• Advertisement

Sorted that at zero percet for 2 years
    phutyle wrote: »
    Do you mean you're getting a loan on your credit card? - like you don't have cash (or other financing) and are going to put the whole price of the car on your card? If so, be careful to check the interest rate on your CC - they can be 15% or higher, and at that rate the difference in price between the UK and Ireland would be the least of your worries. :eek:

I can pick cheaper at a auctio i U.K but just wodering will it be cheap to do VRT etc

And is there any probs on insurance
    well the one i posted up above is 17.500e http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/914560

expect prices around that, obviously dealer will try to rip u off, but dnt bother they are not worth more than 18k really

well mercs are pretty loaded with stuff anyways....bsides goin over 2 uk looking for a right car is bit of a hassle, it takes at least few days, if he could be bothered to go to uk on a plane, then try to find his ways round in a rented car or taxi, then why not, but i would be too lazy....even driving round eire buyin a car could be a bit of a challenge...

well mercs are pretty loaded with stuff anyways....bsides goin over 2 uk looking for a right car is bit of a hassle, it takes at least few days, if he could be bothered to go to uk on a plane, then try to find his ways round in a rented car or taxi, then why not, but i would be too lazy....even driving round eire buyin a car could be a bit of a challenge...

Thaks , does dublin works out cheaper or expesive , i mean if you think more competition

will it be cheap to do VRT etc

And is there any probs on insurance

vrt is daft 7000e, https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

should be no probs with insurance, most insurers will insure u on a eng reg car for the time being...

• Advertisement

Thaks , does dublin works out cheaper or expesive , i mean if you think more competition

i think it does, more dealers=more competition and when they hear u have what they love best CASH
    they are willing to do good deals

Is thats so

Means I will have to pay 7000 o car from U.K

the there is no point for car from U.K
    vrt is daft 7000e, https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

should be no probs with insurance, most insurers will insure u on a eng reg car for the time being...

the there is no point for car from U.K

considering the hassle and all, i dont think there is honestly,
    CASH is a powerfull tool against car dealers :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

considering the hassle and all, i dont think there is honestly,
    CASH is a powerfull tool against car dealers all businesses :pac:

Fixed that for you. :D

-Chris- wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. :D

good one ;)

@topdost

Just be aware that if you're buying with a credit card, you'll probably get charged a surcharge by the dealership.

Visa etc. charge a merchant's fee (2% of purchase price iirc). Most dealers are happy to pay that on a deposit, but if you came in trying to buy a €20k car from me with a credit card, I'd be passing that charge on to you.

Thats a good one as well

How quick are big egines to sale , if I have to sell that in ireland at a future date.
    @topdost

Just be aware that if you're buying with a credit card, you'll probably get charged a surcharge by the dealership.

Visa etc. charge a merchant's fee (2% of purchase price iirc). Most dealers are happy to pay that on a deposit, but if you came in trying to buy a €20k car from me with a credit card, I'd be passing that charge on to you.

How quick are big egines to sale , if I have to sell that in ireland at a future date.

Veeeeeeeery slow. Even if you have it priced really low, there's minimal demand for them.

It's a kind of paradox - the person who can afford to tax/insure/run a big engined car probably doesn't have to worry as much about price, so often cutting the price to the bone doesn't actually lead to the car selling much more quickly.

Veeeeeeeery slow. Even if you have it priced really low, there's minimal demand for them.

It's a kind of paradox - the person who can afford to tax/insure/run a big engined car probably doesn't have to worry as much about price, so often cutting the price to the bone doesn't actually lead to the car selling much more quickly.

Thats exactly what I heard from someone else as well , but ot sure the how come o cheap deals around , if people struggle to shift cars

Just went through a lot of websites ..... God Irish Mercs are far expensive the U.K.........And Irish cars are very basics like no extras.etc

I think mainly due to VRT

• Advertisement
Advertisement