Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT for Car from U.K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

topdost wrote: »
    Do we have to VRT for Car from U.K .

How much are they usually

see the following link
    but not sure
    https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

Yes you have to VRT car from UK and they are usually lots of money

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

How log can you drive on a UK plate in Ireland

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Yes you have to VRT car from UK and they are usually lots of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

24hrs legally

R U sure

I have seen people driving around
    hi_im_fil wrote: »
    24hrs legally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

Yea ILlegally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

It's all here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176389

Read the thread and then post any questions in there - you'll find your answer pretty quick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

From http://www.vrt.ie/vrtDetail.php?page=2
    When must I Register?

If you bring a vehicle into Ireland from abroad you must register it and pay VRT by the end of the next working day following its arrival in the State.

Thats a lot though

on another thread i am been told its about 7000e

hi_im_fil wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Thats a lot though

on another thread i am been told its about 7000e

Go to www.ros.ie (as states above) and fill in the details of your car and you will get an EXACT quote that is valid for a week.

Tried it already

they are in region of 7000
    Hogzy wrote: »
    Go to www.ros.ie (as states above) and fill in the details of your car and you will get an EXACT quote that is valid for a week.

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »

It's a quote though, no matter how exact - they may revise it upwards if your car has big spec, or you may be able to contest the valuation and get it reduced if you feel it's too high.

Do you get it back if you ever deciede to take it back to U.K

and what happens if you bring it to back U.K

do you have to pay VAT then

-Chris- wrote: »
    It's a quote though, no matter how exact - they may revise it upwards if your car has big spec, or you may be able to contest the valuation and get it reduced if you feel it's too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

No, once paid VRT cannot be reclaimed.

No, as VAT will already have been paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You cannot get the vrt back when you export to uk. You dont have to pay it again though if you return here with a car on english plates which was at anytime registered here previously.

As someone said ,

If you own the car for 6 months and can prove your residence in uk , you dont have to pay V R T.
    (best advise so far)

So thats a better way the edig up payig 7000e

what you guys think

mickdw wrote: »
    You cannot get the vrt back when you export to uk. You dont have to pay it again though if you return here with a car on english plates which was at anytime registered here previously.

Are you planning to live in the UK with your new car for the next 6 months?

If not, it's not really relevant to the discussion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Hi Guys,
    I am going through the process of trying to bring my car into the state but its not as easy as it seems,

I have two houses, one North and one South, I have been living in the North for the last 30 years and bought my house in the South three years ago spending a few nights each year in the South.

I moved to the state a few months ago and got approached by the customs to register my car in the state.

I was of the impression that i had to prove that I had been living in the North for 6 months previous to buying the car. I have done that proving that I claim no benefits in the state and have utility bills for the North.
    Now I have to prove that I have not been living in the state!!!!!

Because I have the house a few years this is hard to do. I have electricity connected and had the phone connected last year, I pay tv licensing because the guy called one day I was in the house with a portable.

The thing that get me about this is that in the North my car has a book value of £6000, How much VRT do i have to pay? €10,307 is the figure that they have told me, I can't understand this as the car was £18,000 new two years ago.
    They have told me I can appeal the value but there is no way I will get them down to a figure about €1500 which would be fair.
    I have been told unofficially that the reason the are being so thorough with my case is because of the high VRT due on it.

Personally there is no way I would pay 10k VRT for a car worth half that figure.

Rant over,

Theblueirish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Re 24 hours rule: The vehicle must be declared within 24 hours but the VRT doesn't necessarily have to be paid within 24 hours as they may have to send the details to Rosslare for further analysis.

Whatever figure you are quoted, be sure to protest about it. It seems to differ between staff and offices. I disputed the price they gave me yesterday and they cut it by €200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Hi Guys,
    I am going through the process of trying to bring my car into the state but its not as easy as it seems,

I have two houses, one North and one South, I have been living in the North for the last 30 years and bought my house in the South three years ago spending a few nights each year in the South.

I moved to the state a few months ago and got approached by the customs to register my car in the state.

I was of the impression that i had to prove that I had been living in the North for 6 months previous to buying the car. I have done that proving that I claim no benefits in the state and have utility bills for the North.
    Now I have to prove that I have not been living in the state!!!!!

Because I have the house a few years this is hard to do. I have electricity connected and had the phone connected last year, I pay tv licensing because the guy called one day I was in the house with a portable.

The thing that get me about this is that in the North my car has a book value of £6000, How much VRT do i have to pay? €10,307 is the figure that they have told me, I can't understand this as the car was £18,000 new two years ago.
    They have told me I can appeal the value but there is no way I will get them down to a figure about €1500 which would be fair.
    I have been told unofficially that the reason the are being so thorough with my case is because of the high VRT due on it.

Personally there is no way I would pay 10k VRT for a car worth half that figure.

Rant over,

Theblueirish

Question is simple.

Did you buy your car and still lived/worked abroad for another 6 months after you bought it ?
    If yes, no VRT/VAT to pay.
    Do provide previous insurance disk/tax disk/utility bill/payslip back at that time when you bought the car and worked abroad.

They cannot ask you the requirements the other way around, for instance, prove that you were not living in Ireland back at that time. Especially if you proved you were not working in the state...

Don't let them intimidate you. There is a form at the VRT office to claim VRT exemption (Green paper). Fill it, add your documentation. It will be studied. It takes a few weeks. They also have to provide you with a receipt in the mean time, in case you got stopped by the customs.

If you comply with all of these and they still harrass you, just fill a complain.

Very True...

IT should be that way .

VRT is not fair in IRELAND by looks of this post

mick.fr wrote: »
    Question is simple.

Did you buy your car and still lived/worked abroad for another 6 months after you bought it ?
    Do provide previous insurance disk/tax disk/utility bill/payslip back at that time when you bought the car and worked abroad.

They cannot ask you the requirements the other way around, for instance, prove that you were not living in Ireland back at that time. Especially if you proved you were not working in the state...

Don't let them intimidate you. There is a form at the VRT office to claim VRT exemption (Green paper). Fill it, add your documentation. It will be studied. It takes a few weeks. They also have to provide you with a receipt in the mean time, in case you got stopped by the customs.

If you comply with all of these and they still harrass you, just fill a complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Question is simple.

I have given them Tax and insurance discs for previous two years, TV licence from the North and Medical records for the North along with other various bills etc.

I have been working in the state for the last three years, long before I bought the house in It. I have had to provide electricity and phone records for my house in the south to show little usage, They are telling me because I owned a property in the south before I bought my car I may not be allowed to bring it in for free, If I am allowed to bring it in, I will have to back pay all my mortgage interest relief from the date I bought my house.

I may go down the complaint route, but as with most government agencies I would hold out much hope.

Thanks for the input.

Theblueirish

Thats very bad.

All the best with your complain.

I have given them Tax and insurance discs for previous two years, TV licence from the North and Medical records for the North along with other various bills etc.

I have been working in the state for the last three years, long before I bought the house in It. I have had to provide electricity and phone records for my house in the south to show little usage, They are telling me because I owned a property in the south before I bought my car I may not be allowed to bring it in for free, If I am allowed to bring it in, I will have to back pay all my mortgage interest relief from the date I bought my house.

I may go down the complaint route, but as with most government agencies I would hold out much hope.

Thanks for the input.

Theblueirish

Advertisement