Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Town Council Election

Options
  • 09-06-2009 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Can anybody provide a link to the election results for the Athlone town council?

Cheers
    Tubos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

http://tinyurl.com/m3mq5k

Cllr. Sheila Buckley Byrne - N.P.

Cllr. Mark Cooney, Northgate Street, Athlone - F.G.

Cllr. Jim Henson - L.P.

Cllr. Paul Hogan, 49 Retreat Pk., Athlone, Co. Westmeath - S.F.

Cllr. Gabrielle Mc Fadden - F.G.

Cllr. Kieran Molloy, Connolly Street, Athlone - F.F.

Cllr. Kevin Boxer Moran, Cornamagh, Athlone - F.F.

Cllr. Aengus O'Rourke - F.F.

Cllr. Alan Shaw - F.G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Now I'm depressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

I see the imperialist kept there seats :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In fairness Kieran Molloy has helped more people in Athlone than the rest of the council put together and if he wasn't re-elected it would have been a massive loss to the town.

Boxer got elected because of where is from and no other reason!

Aengus got elected because of who his mammy is, fact.

They could have been independants or even the nazi party and would have been elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

I see the imperialist kept there seats :mad:

I suppose for local elections party allegiance is less important than what the candidate can do for you on local issues. But I'm sure Sheila Buckley Byrne can be added to that list of FF's! She is/was FF but ran as an independent but I'm sure will take the FF side to give them a majority on the council.

Feel bad for Mick O'Connell, he was always somebody who kept you up to date on the goings on in the council. I think he missed out due to the party pushing the newer candidates more, assuming he'd keep his seat. But I think a low turnout of younger voters (from what I saw anyway) didn't help him.

Aengus O' Rourke - the name you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Jim Henson also got elected ... does that make the rest of the Town Council his Muppets! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Jim Henson also got elected ... does that make the rest of the Town Council his Muppets! :pac:

LOL! Always had a little laugh to meself whenever I saw his posters!

Watch out for Jim over the next few years, absolute live wire, will not hold back if he starts laying into someone, will be hilarious.

The other Labour canditates wouldn't cabcass with him because he was a nutjob!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Seaneh wrote: »

Boxer got elected because of where is from and no other reason!

Woudln't have said that myself, got my vote and not because where he's from, but what he's done.
    In fairness Kieran Molloy has helped more people in Athlone than the rest of the council put together and if he wasn't re-elected it would have been a massive loss to the town.

Aengus got elected because of who his mammy is, fact.

Double Fact. But in Aengus's defence he did have a few things going for him, and at least he's a business man.

• Advertisement

But in fairness, what has Boxer done? Besides pass a by-law banning topless sunbathing in coosan point (the bastard!) and throw a BBQ once a year where he gets all his neighbours pissed up and gives some self important speech?

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Woudln't have said that myself, got my vote and not because where he's from, but what he's done.

Double Fact. But in Aengus's defence he did have a few things going for him, and at least he's a business man.

Well, Angus's Education and background should mean he has a positive influence and here's hoping, but there wouldn't have been a whole lot of people who knew who he was if it wasn't for Mammy down in Arcadia.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Boxer topping the poll and Declan Ganly doing so well in the european elections is just testament to how ignorant people really are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

But in fairness, what has Boxer done? Besides pass a by-law banning topless sunbathing in coosan point (the bastard!) and throw a BBQ once a year where he gets all his neighbours pissed up and gives some self important speech?

missed the coosan thing myself meh, maybe he was thinking for the greater good :rolleyes:

He's done things for friends and family, things that can be solved with a simple call or a nudge, but if you or I were to go to the council to get it done takes weeks or months. May be something as simple as getting the council workers round to fill a hole or to try and get on a housing list etc..

At the same time, I'm sure each councillor has so many favours they can use and I bet someone's counting.

Bluntly, he got my vote for what he did for my family and friends, that's how it works. I engaged with the people that called to my door, I asked questions, I got bull**** answers and waffle for the most part. I didn't expect any less tbh. None of their speeches, slogans or statements give the impression of passion or righteousness, it was all very meh. So I voted for the guy that I saw doing the most favours for people. :P

Also true about Aengus, very few would have know of him if not for Mary, but as you said, here's hoping. Some fresh blood is needed in politics really, once they don't become fat, lazy and complacent in their seats.

Advertisement