Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW VID DAMPER

• 09-06-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

hi
    The vib damper part no b11.23.7.805.696 is not working on my 2005 e46 320dES saloon m4 bmw. the air con belt came off.The car has 54,000 miles .Any idea why this could happen and is it a big job to get fixted.
    Thanks
    Ray

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What do you mean its not working and has a mechanic seen it (assuming it may be something simple)?
    (visual of part)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭!RAY

Hi kbannon
    Yes i had the mechanic in bmw service the car and told them the air con belt had come off.
    They said that the Belt Drive-Vibration Damper was gone and it has to be replaced.They were looking for around 400euro.can this damage the engine?
    Cheers
    Ray

Looking on ebay, I see one of them on sale for about €150 so expect this to be higher from BMW themselves.

The pulley is the bottom one at the front in this pic....

I haven't done it before but I'm surprised at the €400 cost.
    Contact Alan or Richie in AC Cars and get a quote there.

Thanks kbannon
    One last question do i need to get this done in a hurry.What damage can happen to engine.
    Cheers
    Ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Not using the a/c for extended periods will result in the seals perishing.

• Advertisement

Regarding the damage, I don't know because I don't know what is exactly meant by "not working" and that the pulley was 'gone' and I would be just guessing (is it siezed, broken, missing...)
    Talk to one of the guys in AC.

Sorry the air con belt has come off.Bmw told me this is because the vib damper is not working and has to be replaced
    Cheers
    !RAY

The vib damper (based on the part number you quoted) is a big pulley wheel (see #1 here) and is fixed to the crankshaft. How is it not working? Is it not spinning around? Is it in pieces? Did you ring AC Cars or somebody other than the dealer you had been with?

No not yet as i am broke at the mo.Thats why i was wondering if i had a bit of time.
    Bmw just said it had to be replaced,sorry thats all i know .I will ring AC cars next week.
    Cheers
    RAY

Can you describe the condition and movement of the pulley when the engine is ticking over?

• Advertisement

It does not turn the belt is off.Sorry i am not to up on cars.
    I can do the basic that about it.When i look down at the front of the engine there is a wheel to the left side and to the right side there is two wheels one in front of the other but they are joined.The wheel to the left is not turning and the wheel to the right is as this is driven by the crank shaft.The belt that came off drives the wheel on the left side.I thinks its for the air con.
    Cheers
    Ray

See this pic - is the one at the bottom turning? This is your part.

Yes .The one just to the left of it is not .The belt goes from the one in the far left of the pic to the one i am talking about

Here is a better pic:
    320d_e90.jpg

OK so it sounds like the vibration damper pulley is ok (the large dark one in the pic). The other one probably isn't turning because the belt has been removed (hence having the belt).

So I'm puzzled. If it appears to be working fine and has no damage, why do BMW want to replace it?
    Is the other belt attached and working?

Where are you based?

Sorry about been a pain .The wheel to the left of the large black one is the one that is not turning .The belt went from this to the front wheel on the large black one . They said the vibration dampner the part number i gave above had to be replaced that is why the belt came off.I am based in Donabate and work in rathcoole.
    Cheers
    Ray

The vibration damper is the black one. I'm guessing (not a mechanic) that this is the crankshaft pulley and this turns the belt that goes to the smaller one on its left (grey pulley in above pic).
    As you say, the vibration damper/crank pulley is turning so why did BMW say it wasn't working and needed to be replaced?
    If I'm correct, then you need to see if the pulley on the A/C compressor (or even the compressor itself) is not working. Personally, I would get the old belt and put it on and see if I can get it turning and working!

They said it came off due to vibration.I have a service pack on the car which is just up .They are going to change the breaks on the 24th june so i will ask a few questions.I just tryed to put the belt on and cant get to it ,to much crap in the way .The gray pulley seems to turn freely.
    Thanks
    Ray

Thanks for your help.
    Cheers
    Ray

Advertisement