Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Trouble

Options
  • 09-06-2009 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am having a lot of trouble with NTL. I have A basic package which was supposed to be for 25 euros (inclusive of VAT). We have been with them now for over 8 months and every bill thus far has ranged between 34 -60 euros. This companies incompetency knows no bounds and after somewhere in the region of 50 phone calls the problem still persists. Our a/c was supposed to be debited and corrected on a multitude of occasions and we were told that this month it would be sorted. Low and behold we got our bill last friday and we were charged again for 35 euro. Every bill we have received at this stage has been overcharged by at least 10 euro.

On top of this every bill has arrived late causing us to receive txt messages (which we never gave permission to receive) telling us our bills needed to be paid within a day or so. When we questioned them on this they told us to talk to an post!!!:mad:

At this stage we have had enough and have decided to cut our service and move to another provider. We are also thinking of going down the legal route on the basis that they now owe us money and they are carrying out false advertising. If anyone has any similar complaints or has any suggestions for a better deal available with another company please let me know,

Cheers.

HeeBeeGeeBee.;)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Most companies billing and/or customer service department is an after thought at best and a disaster at worst.

Make sure you request leaving in writing and send it by registered post or they will say you never sent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If you are correct in there being approx 50 phone calls between you and them, the next phone call would be to...

* Ring their "customer care" line
    * Give your account details
    * Wait a couple of seconds until they digest the information on screen
    * Mention that you are taking them to the Small claims Court to get your money back. You have waited long enough.
    * Mention to the customer care representative that you can only name individuals* in the small claims court and not companies so you need the name of the head of their customer care, technical AND the CEO. [I know all these as I've been down that road but cannot give them to you]
    * If you are not immediately put through to the head of that department, request it. Before you request it, they might put you on hold for 2 or 3 minutes while they **** themselves and scream for their team lead. [Well I actually told my customer care rep that I was naming EVERYONE in UPC that I dealt with in my complaint]
    * When you speak to the head of department, tell them that they have 5 business days to refund you or you will issue proceedings.
    * You may still be messed around but not to the degree that you previously were, as heads of departments will now have a vested interest in getting rid of you.

* I will stand corrected if I am wrong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Welcome to the offical ntl haters forum:D

Do as posted above but beware there is ALWAYS the excuse, we cannot put you through to a supervisor but I am authorised to help you with anything you need.

First phonecall I would make is to Comreg, unfortunately I left this until after I closed my account with them and comreg were unable to do anything as I was no longer a customer, yet the company were still messing me about. Do as much as possible in registered letters, but every registered letter send an e-mail also as when you send an e-mail you get confirmation of receipt which promises you contact within 48hours, although I never received it but it is another form of proof of contact should you need to take the matter further.

In my arguments with the company I got back roughly €180 give or take although it was in dribs and drabs over the course of months whilst I persisted in arguing with them. It was actually just deducted from what I woed them as I refused to pay bills until they returned what they owed me and they ended up cutting me off before my notice of termination was up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

as NTL have not carried out their part of the contract (ie charged you more than agreed)you can get your solicitor involved to sue for breach of contract...will be more expensive to do but would (to me anyways) be more satisfying to see them squirm on the steps of the court house while trying to do a deal to keep the case from being judged in court (and thus details of their incompetence published to the world at large)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hi there,

I am having a lot of trouble with NTL. I have A basic package which was supposed to be for 25 euros (inclusive of VAT). We have been with them now for over 8 months and every bill thus far has ranged between 34 -60 euros. This companies incompetency knows no bounds and after somewhere in the region of 50 phone calls the problem still persists. Our a/c was supposed to be debited and corrected on a multitude of occasions and we were told that this month it would be sorted. Low and behold we got our bill last friday and we were charged again for 35 euro. Every bill we have received at this stage has been overcharged by at leat 10 euro.

On top of this every bill has arrived late causing us to receive txt messages (which we never gave permission to receive) telling us our bills needed to be paid within a day or so. When we questioned them on this they told us to talk to an post!!!:mad:

At this stage we have had enough and have decided to cut our service and move to another provider. We are also thinking of going down the legal route on the basis that they no owe us money and they are carrying out false advertising. If anyone has any similar complaints or has any suggestions for a better deal available with another company please let me know,

Cheers.

HeeBeeGeeBee.;)

Just as a matter of interest what does your bill say?

Basic pack 25/03/09 - 25/05/09 39.90
    VAT 10.10

We feel like more money from you charge 15.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Apologies if I missed this in the replies already posted, but what is the package you are on?

BB + Phone?
    BB?
    BB + TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HeeBeeGeeBee

I will post the bill details later on.

The package is just a basic tv package. If you check out the website it shows the package for 25 euros.

We're going to give one last call today and threaten them with legal action and if the problem is not rectified we are going to the solicitors office the moment the next bill comes in the door. It's about time these types of companies stopped shafting the people who provide their bread and butter.

HeeBeeGeeBee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

daheff wrote: »
    as NTL have not carried out their part of the contract (ie charged you more than agreed)you can get your solicitor involved to sue for breach of contract...will be more expensive to do but would (to me anyways) be more satisfying to see them squirm on the steps of the court house while trying to do a deal to keep the case from being judged in court (and thus details of their incompetence published to the world at large)

I think the world and his dog know by now about just how bad NTL customer service is. They give a monkey's about it being brought up in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

seagull wrote: »
    I think the world and his dog know by now about just how bad NTL customer service is. They give a monkey's about it being brought up in court.
    cancel the direct debit and write to them telling them you have cancelled it and explain why you took this action then show a copy of the letter to the bank to show you have informed ntl that the direct debit is cancelled and let them sort it out before you pay another cent!

while you are waiting for ntl to sort out their billing system contact sky and get their basic package(about 4xthe number of channels) for €22 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Sorry, I missed where he was paying by DD. If this is the case, gather your evidence and GO TO THE BANK. TELL them to charge back [whatever the term is] the money as it was wrongfully taken every month.

To the best of my knowledge, I believe the bank are obligated to do this. there are much better people, far more knowledgeable, than myself in this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Welcome to the offical ntl haters forum:D

Do as posted above but beware there is ALWAYS the excuse, we cannot put you through to a supervisor but I am authorised to help you with anything you need.

To which my answer was:
    "Great, I just need your full name and home address for the small claims court documentation then. Oh, you'd like me to hold while you transfer me to someone else? No, I don't want to do that, your phone system is buggy and has a tendency to drop my calls during transfers. Why don't you give me their direct line, and then you stay on this line with me while I call them from the other phone?"

Advertisement