Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My naive nature

Options
  • 09-06-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

hi all,
    I've never posted about politics before.And I'm sure that many will think that I'm naive on this.
    as I see it:

1. the country is in serious financial difficulty.
    2. gamesmanship continues to be at play in the Dail
    3. the people feel that they are not being heard

Why can't the following be done:
    Every week or fortnight over the period of a month, the various powers that be will be in a live dicusssion about the issues at hand, live on TV.
    Basically people bring in the facts and chew them live on air in a civil and dignified manner.
    Political party grandstanding would be deemed to be unhelpful and anyone who engages in this be asked to remove themselves from the studio.
    at the same time something like a forum be available for ordinary joes to put real points into the fray, leave the emotion out of it.

A national newpaper/media campaign be launched to get the prople thinking about things and let's try to properly engage the public.

I think that if the people see that it's government are truly interested in the issues and not petty bickering then they will be more interested in politics and public support would grow for any really tough decisions that had to be made.

If this was conducted so that the real thinkers are present with the acting ministers then the public could see real efforts at work.

I know that primetime or the likes was the intention of this but there are way too many people grandstanding there, and no real numbers/ statistics being talked about.

Like I said I'm naive, but truly I am sick and tired of everything that is going on, if I thought that I could make a positive contribution I would. What really bugs me more than anytihng is the political footballs and mudslinging that goes on, it's tabloid sensationalist rubbish.
    Truthfully - I don't care who comes up with ideas, let's just get ourselves working on the same page, the sooner this happens then the sooner we can start the recovery.

Like I said I'm naive.....this will never happen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gotBass

My apologies to all if my previous post went slightly into a rant.
    Normally not in my nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gotBass wrote: »
    Political party grandstanding would be deemed to be unhelpful and anyone who engages in this be asked to remove themselves from the studio.

Who will decide what 'grandstaking' is taking place - will there be a judge?
    We already have Oireachtas reports on TV but I doubt anyone watches them so what makes this any different? I

I think what I'm trying to get at is a way to motivate the public more.
    I think that right now the whole country has some interest in political decisions.
    the turnout at the recent elections bear this out.
    I just figure that with this interest if the media/government/oppostion, worked together we might be able to have a truly open discussion, and maintain the publics participation.
    and ultimatately make real headway, and have agreement on the hard decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The same public that voted for Torisa Ferris because shes blond?

The public are not up for government. The fact we have so many people equating business with evil is proof that many do not even understand economics.

the public are up for government.
    but I think that the message is getting lost in translation.

If we can continue to educate the public in the ways of government then the sensationalism eventually goes away and rational debate at all levels begins.

It'll take time but if we assume that the public will never participate why bother having elections in the first place.

there is frustration out there, so let's examine how to communicate more effectively, then perhaps some of that frustration will go away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement