Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directions to St Edmundsbury Hospital, Lucan

• 09-06-2009 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hello everyone

Have to travel to St. Edmundsbury Hospital next week in Lucan and I am looking for advice on best way to get there.

I was planning on travelling up to Dublin via train and getting a taxi out there from Heuston but since my app will be finished at 5pm / 5.30pm I was advised that I would not make it back to Heuston for the 6.30pm train. And that traffic would be too bad.

If this was the case I would travel up by car instead.

Would you please advise if this is correct?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

This should really be in the Dublin County West forum ;)

Traffic is horrendous going from the City Centre to Lucan during weekday rush hour and leaving yourself an hour to get into Heuston by bus or taxi from Lucan could also be pushing it a bit at that time of evening. It could be fine or it could be a nightmare!

If you take the car I'd suggest coming up the M7 and turning off for Lucan. There's a couple of places you can turn off, I'd suggest going through Newcastle on towards Adamstown, others may have a better idea.

If you do go through Adamstown, watch your speed, the Gardaí sometimes have speed traps on the way into Adamstown, it's a 60 km/h limit.

EDIT: I see you're in Offaly? Then head up the M4 in the car and you'll be grand. The M4 ends a little bit before the Spa Hotel in Lucan, watch your speed as there is a working speed camera on your side of the road opposite the Spa Hotel. I'd continue on the N4 dual-carriageway, past the Spa Hotel for about a mile and then you get to a junction for the Newcastle/Adamstown Road, head left for Lucan Village and from there you can use Google Maps to take you to your destination :)

Check Google Maps, make sure you type 'St Edmondsbury, Hospital, Lucan' when looking for directions.

There used to be an entrance to the Hospital near Woodies in Lucan, don't know if this is still open or not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

sorry

didnt realise i had put it in wrong section, thought i did it right :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm sorry but going from Hueston Station to Lucan, going to visiting the hospital and going back to Hueston the space of an hour/hour and a half is not possible, especially at rush hour.

But if you feel like being risky, this is for the bus, if you're outside Hueston, go across the river, bustop outside Conygham Garage grab one of these 25, 25A*, 67, 67A, 66, 66, 66B. When you go past the Foxhunter, you'll see it to your left and Woodies to your right. Go through the lights at the top, you'll be going right and press the button to get off, you'll need to cross the road and opposite woodies there's the enterance, it'll be a 10 minute walk to the hospital mind you

*25A you'll need to get off bus before the traffic lights past Foxhunter.

By car, I don't know which way you're coming, but I suggest that you get off at Spa Hotel. If you're on the N1 one heading towards town, you'll see the Spa to your right, get off the slip road there, bottom of it you'll see a garage/mcdonalds, go left, keep driving straight on past courtneys, until you see Woodies, and keep looking left for the enterance, if you miss it you'll end up back on the motorway :P

If you're driving from town (which I gathered from your post) go past liffey valley, and the take the turn off into lucan past the Foxhunter, you'll be going right, down by woodies, and you'll see the enterance. If you miss it, you can take the turnoff at the Spa Hotel.

Taxi? Jaysus, that'll be costly. As I said, you'll need more than an hour for this imo.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    By car, I don't know which way you're coming, but I suggest that you get off at Spa Hotel. If you're on the N1 one heading towards town, you'll see the Spa to your right...

Small typo there, he means M4/N4 (the M4 becomes the N4 when the motorway ends but is still a dual-carriageway), not N1 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

Thank you for your help.

I would be travelling from Kilkenny so I would be coming in by Newlands Cross and to Red Cow roundabout.
    I would need to come onto motorway from there then and then come off the motorway at Lucan turn off and go over fly over ..... am i right so far?

I looked it up on Google Maps.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Small typo there, he means M4/N4 (the M4 becomes the N4 when the motorway ends but is still a dual-carriageway), not N1 :)

Bahhhhh you get my gist. It was 11 o clock when I typed it :(

Hiya valpuk, there's a couple of places you can turn off the M7, I'd suggest going through Newcastle on towards Adamstown and into Lucan Village, others may have a better idea.

If you do go through Adamstown, watch your speed, the Gardaí sometimes have speed traps on the way into Adamstown, it's a 60 km/h limit.

If you get stuck, ask people for directions to either St Edmondsbury Hospital or if they don't know where that is ask them for directions for Woodies. It's close enough to Woodies. There's a small roundabout at Woodies to take you into the car park there. If you get that far you've passed St Edmondsbury. If this happens make sure you go into Woodies car park, otherwise you end up on the dual-carriageway into Dublin city centre...
    Ask for directions there. Good luck.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Bahhhhh you get my gist. It was 11 o clock when I typed it :(
    :D I knew what you meant, just didn't want the OP getting confused :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

Alternatively if you want a more direct route, come up the M7 to the Outer Ring Road/Grange Castle junction, take a left at this junction and continue on to Lucan Village, at the very end of this road (T-junction after you go over the N4 with Woddies on right side) take a left (toward Lucan village) and the Hospital is the first right.

directions....
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=kilkenny&daddr=53.302569,-6.422882+to:ST+EDMONDSBURY+HOSPITAL&hl=en&geocode=%3B%3BFThILgMdWdCd_yFZuV9mHeeLIw&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1&sll=53.311596,-6.534119&sspn=0.197738,0.4422&ie=UTF8&ll=53.326362,-6.472321&spn=0.098835,0.2211&z=12

I may be wrong but I would say a taxi sould only take 20min at most to/from Heuston at any time as it is a bus lane the whole way. Traffic is also a lot lighter now with schools off and road improvements, but would cost €20-25 each way. The only problem may be delays at the Hospital.

The bus times may suit and may not, but this would take about 40min.

r3nu4l, that speed camera on the road opposite the Spa Hotel is gone since they started the roadworks there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Dufresne

The route by the last poster is definitely the way to go. Its much better than trying to find your way through Clondalkin or Newcastle. The new outer ring road will bring you all the way to Lucan and you'll be less than 100m from the entrance to Ed's when you get to the end of it.

On the Naas road you'll pass by Citiwest and Browns Barn and then there's an exit marked Adamstoan, GRange Castle and Kingswood-I think(R136) Take this all the way to the end. You'll know you are near the end when you pass over the N4 Galway Road. Get into the left lane. The Woodies retail park will be on your right. You go left. The first entrance to Ed's is less than a 100m on your right. There is a second entrance(its marked Dean Clinic) about 1 km further along - also on the right.

AS R3nu4l said - if you go right at Woodies by mistake - just go as far as the roundabout and come back before you go onto the N4 into City centre

@manc - nice map - didn't know you could do that and link to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

Dufresne wrote: »
    @manc - nice map - didn't know you could do that and link to it.

in the right corner over the map there is a Link hyper link, which gives a web address or html that you can copy and paste, very handy.

Actually just looked at the map zoomed in and the B destination is in the Strawberry beds for some reason, i've moved the destination to where it should be in thes link, hopefully its not too late but the written descriptions above to the hospital from woodies are correct (its only 100 yards down the road)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=kilkenny&daddr=N7%2FNaas+Rd+to:53.360899,-6.428204&hl=en&geocode=%3BFTBKLQMdPP6d_w%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=13&via=1&sll=53.367558,-6.443996&sspn=0.04937,0.11055&ie=UTF8&z=13

Good job manc, nice to know the speed camera is gone too :)

Advertisement