Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downlighters fire risk?

Options
  • 09-06-2009 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

We have downlighters all over our house, but noticed while in the attic that the insulation has not been pulled back from the lights.

Is this a fire risk?

And I have to peel back the insulation for these areas lots of cold air will find its way into the house though the downlighter holes, the bedroom alone has 12 of them!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Well the insulation shouldnt be combusttable but you should have it back from the down lights on both sides. Especially between floors the rise in temp will drastically affect the lifetime of the lamp.

In the attic you could floor it to help with drafts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the risk will be greatly reduced with the newer bulbs. led etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Is this a fire risk?
    In my opinion, yes (if they are not LED or a type that runs cold).

On some projects a box is constructed around them to prevent over heating due to insulation. On other projects a "fire sock" is specified (see below). Most of the time neither are installed.

Quality transformers come with a built in thermal cut out. The lamp itself gets very hot under normal operation, so insulation around it is not good!

The instructions that come with the transformers are quite clear that there should be a minimum space around the transformer for cooling.

Below, a fire sock:

E3205.jpg

the attic that the insulation has not been pulled back from the lights.
    I would pull it back if I were you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Replacing all the bulbs with LED would be very costly as there are dozens of them. I will pull back all the insulation and look at making some kind of cover for the lights, maybe a 6" chicken wire dome to create a void around the light and then cover them over with insulation again.

Does that sound OK?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have heard of people using flower pots! I thought it was a great idea. Then the insulation can be put over the pot to keep the house warm.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    I have heard of people using flower pots! I thought it was a great idea. Then the insulation can be put over the pot to keep the house warm.

Like the little red plastic ones? Once it doesnt get to hot and meat onto the lamp :p

I would normally allow a few inches on either side of the downlighter.

Like the little red plastic ones?
    I never suggested "little"

Once there is enough space around the transformer and lamp it would not matter that they are plastic. The insulation on the cables is a type of plastic after all and I have seen it melt due to insulation being installed over the downlighters.

The data sheet clearly states how much space is required, I would go by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Replacing all the bulbs with LED would be very costly as there are dozens of them. I will pull back all the insulation and look at making some kind of cover for the lights, maybe a 6" chicken wire dome to create a void around the light and then cover them over with insulation again.

Does that sound OK?

imo. i would phase-out the old bulbs(the heat source) rather than make covers

Just a quick follow up on this. Spent a miserable hour in the attic yesterday, crawling through insulation and sweating buckets, pulling back the insulation away from the downlighters, they were ALL covered and the heat from the downlighters (50W) was considerable. One had an electrical cable over it and the cable was on its way to melting through. Covered them all with terracotta pots (1 euro each). In time I will replace the bulbs with LEDS or a lower wattage.

Thanks for all the advice, I an convinced this was worth doing.

the heat from the downlighters (50W) was considerable
    Yes it sure is.
    I an convinced this was worth doing.
    + 1

Downlighters are safe when installed correctly. If not they can be very dangerous IMHO.

• Advertisement

I have a slight problem still, the ground floor has loads of them too, and I am sure there is insulation in there too, but I can't get at it. LEDS may be the only way to go there.

I have a slight problem still, the ground floor has loads of them too, and I am sure there is insulation in there too, but I can't get at it. LEDS may be the only way to go there.

You can remove the fitting, and push the fibreglass back in both directions. Their wont be a draft once the fibreglass is fully filling the void between the joists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭LeBash

Does that sound OK?

Stevie,

There is a little cap made for the lamps. It sits over the back of the lamp and throws all the heat down and nowhere else. I think its known as a heat shield. Its also reusable.

There is a company called Benelec in Cork that distribute them. Call them and they will direct you to your nearest stockest.

I would make sure its a good transformer with a thermal cutout aswell if your going to do this.

Advertisement