Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cactus house

Options
  • 09-06-2009 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

hi can anyone suggest making/buying a 'hut' that would house cactus over the winter please? I have a small garden and would like something similar to a greenhouse, but much smaller, and with ventilation. Perhaps making one out of that plastic material that you find in Atlantic etc, but how would you hold them together? I've looked at a few websites and Mr Middletons shop but can't seem to find anything. Any ideas appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Hi Drifty,
    I'm no expert on cacti but I have been growing several varieties of them for a few years now and while I do allow them outside when the weather gets above 15 deg C I'm not sure that they would survive temps much lower than that - any research I've done suggest temps no lower than 19 deg C again depending on the variety. There are some plastic greenhouse type things around 2 foot tall that you can buy, I believe Argos sell them (I paid €25 for mine but they do taller ones too). I have it for hardening off but its rarely used in the winter and has to be secued to the wall or it might fly off in a storm. Have you any space in your house for the cacti? All of mine are on window sills and the tallest is around half a foot. If they are those very tall ones you can't move you could try covering it with horticultural fleece when the temps start to drop - I really don't think they would survive any prolonged period of frost but again I'm open to correction. I also very rarely water mine in the winter so if your's are outside they might get wet even in the mini greenhouse thingy which could kill them. Sorry for the long post lol - heres what Argos.ie are selling:

98-7202007A69UC463314X.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 drifty

Hi there - thanks a million for that. I used to have a large one of these greenhouse things which did indeed fly off in a storm, before we drilled it into the wall!!!! I like the smaller one tho so might look into that.
    I have smallish window sills so I don't think they would fit too well, or probably get enough light. I think you are right they wouldn't last too well especially when we had all the snow earlier. i have only a few cactus (4) but my mother has loads so I had her in mind too - thanks very much for the info!!! cheers

Advertisement