Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brewing yeast

• 09-06-2009 1:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I'm making elderflower champagne and it hasnt been fermenting too well.
    is there anywhere that sells beer-makers yeast?I've tried the Irish yeast Company and the Yeast factory in finglas,nobody seems to sell it.
    is there any truth that some polish shops sell the stuff?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You want me to move this to Beer/Wine/Spirits?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Des wrote: »
    You want me to move this to Beer/Wine/Spirits?

Please..although i'se in Dublin

Degsy wrote: »
    Please..although i'se in Dublin

I'll hoosh it over, there are some very good lads in there when it comes to home brewing.

Also, there's a big sticky thread at the top. Might get some info if you give that a gander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BogWog

Theres a shop in Dun Laoighre that sells brewers yeast. Its a ****hole of a shop though no brewing supplies at all and its the only brewing shop I could find in the whole city. Its just up the road from the dart station in Dun Laoighre on that road with the hardware shops and pet shops. Its more like a health food shop than a brewing shop. Although they don't have fermenting vessels or any other brewing equipment they have brewers yeast. I know that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The http://thehomebrewcompany.ie/ deliver laos some tine will post small itens

or

http://www.grapengraindublin.com/ deliver with in the Dublin area

Also the The Health Stores some time sell yeast and other brewing equipment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BogWog

oblivious wrote: »
    The http://thehomebrewcompany.ie/ deliver laos some tine will post small itens

or

Its a pity that grape n grain company doesn't have a shop that you can walk into.

grapengrain want 5 euro to deliver a tiny sachet of yeast..no way jose!
    Does anybody know a healthfood shop that sells yeast?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

grapengrain want 5 euro to deliver a tiny sachet of yeast..no way jose!
    Give TheHomeBrewCompany a call -- they might stick one in the post for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

What do you mean it hasn't been fermenting too well? Is it sluggish? Not fermenting out? Not clearing?

What yeast have you been using up to now?

What ingredients did you use in the brew?

If it's just sugar water and elderflower, you might need to add some yeast nutrient, in order to get a good healthy fermentation. Yeast cannot live on sugar alone.

870.jpg

What do you mean it hasn't been fermenting too well? Is it sluggish? Not fermenting out? Not clearing?

What yeast have you been using up to now?

What ingredients did you use in the brew?

If it's just sugar water and elderflower, you might need to add some yeast nutrient, in order to get a good healthy fermentation. Yeast cannot live on sugar alone.

870.jpg

It hasnt shown any signs of fermenting at all.
    The idea supposedly is that the weak yeasts in the flowers negate teh need to add yeast,so far it doesnt seem to be working and i reckon i'll need to add yeast before it goes rotten.
    i'm using sugar,lemonjuice and rind,white wine vinegar and elderflowers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Using wild yeast from flowers or fruit can be hit and miss, to say the least. You might get a fermentation, you might not, but even if you do, you can't be sure what kind of flavours the yeast is going to produce. Some wild yeasts can produce some really funky flavours.

Another problem is that you might get a different micro-organism in your must and some of those can result in very unpleasant flavours. Your best bet is to add plenty beer or wine yeast, so that their numbers out compete anything else that might be in there.

What process did you use to produce the must? Did you boil the flowers? Steep them cold?

I can't say I have seen white wine vinegar used before. I suppose it would add acidity and a certain complexity, but it still seems a little odd.

Using wild yeast from flowers or fruit can be hit and miss, to say the least. You might get a fermentation, you might not, but even if you do, you can't be sure what kind of flavours the yeast is going to produce. Some wild yeasts can produce some really funky flavours.

Another problem is that you might get a different micro-organism in your must and some of those can result in very unpleasant flavours. Your best bet is to add plenty beer or wine yeast, so that their numbers out compete anything else that might be in there.

What process did you use to produce the must? Did you boil the flowers? Steep them cold?

I can't say I have seen white wine vinegar used before. I suppose it would add acidity and a certain complexity, but it still seems a little odd.

I steeped them cold but i digress,the whole point of my prescence here is that i badly need some yeast to get the process going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Where abouts are you?

azzeretti wrote: »
    Where abouts are you?

Finglas but i can travel!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Country Cellar is the place in Dun Laoighre, they had wine yeast last time I checked. Worth giving them a call if your desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Natures way (something to do with Holland & Barrett - Irish partners?) have in on their site
    Brewer's Yeast Powder

(Debittered) with RNA & DNA Holland & Barrett Brewer's Yeast powder is a special type of primary yeast providing RNA and DNA. This selected grade of Brewer's Yeast yields a richer concentration of essential nutrients, blends well and dissolves quickly and evenly. Goes fine with juice, soups and beverages. SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS AND VEGANS.

Don't know if its suitable. Id be interested in giving this ago as Eldars are in full flower all around my area at the moment. Lack of yeast is the only thing stopping me

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Natures way (something to do with Holland & Barrett - Irish partners?) have in on their site

Don't know if its suitable. Id be interested in giving this ago as Eldars are in full flower all around my area at the moment. Lack of yeast is the only thing stopping me

I'm pretty sure its not suitable at all,you need beer yeast.
    Anyways,i rang the grape an grain place and they're sending me out som eyeast for 4 euro delivered,also a kindly boardsie has agreed to sell me some later on which might just save my brew.
    I must say that it smells pretty potent already for something that hasnt fermented properly.
    go for it i tell you!!

I'm pretty sure its not suitable at all,you need beer yeast.

Brewers yeast/beer yeast - same thing. No?

Brewers yeast/beer yeast - same thing. No?

As in they are both yeast but one is selected for flavor profile and the other largely to produce lots of CO2 to rise bread

As in they are both yeast but one is selected for flavor profile and the other largely to produce lots of CO2 to rise bread

Fair enough. What would likely happen if brewers yeast was used in this case?

• Advertisement

Fair enough. What would likely happen if brewers yeast was used in this case?

It would probably make a better beverage as bead yeast can have some phenols that may not be wanted

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

the other largely to produce lots of CO2 to rise bread
    That's baker's yeast you're thinking of.

Beer yeasts come in different strains with different flavour effects. Using a generic "brewer's yeast" intended as a dietary supplement could produce anything, flavourwise, or may produce nothing as it's not likely to have been packed in a way that preserves the maximum number of viable cells for fermentation.

It would probably make a better beverage as bead yeast can have some phenols that may not be wanted

I think you misread my post. Is there a difference between brewers yeast and beer yeast?

I think you misread my post. Is there a difference between brewers yeast and beer yeast?

Sorry my bad, both would be yeast use for fermenting beer, so no. But there a lot of different types of beer yeast depending on what beer is been produced.

Sorry my bad, both would be yeast use for fermenting beer, so no. But there a lot of different types of beer yeast depending on what beer is been produced.

Cheers, I was starting to get a little confused:D

Just resurrecting this thread as I had some of Degsy's elderflower drink tonight.

It was quite potent, and I'd say somewhere around the 8% mark.

Was very nice, and would be best described as a "summer drink", quite refreshing after a night on Smithwicks.

Very nice indeed, and I also got my hands on some of Degsy's other home-produce. Some home made blackcurrant ice-cream and some fresh gooseberries.

Advertisement