Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongar House - Anyone got the inside story?

Options
  • 09-06-2009 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I'm really interested to know if anyone has some concrete knowledge on what the situation is with Ongar House (or at least that's what I'm told it's called), the great big building at the top of Ongar Village that has lain idle since the village's inception?

Are the owner's asking for extorianate rates of rent or is it just too diffiicult to get a licquer licence for it? It really seems like the greatest shame to me that it's just sitting there doing nothing when there are no real social establishments in Ongar. It could really bring the village to life if someone was to take a punt on it and open it as a pub/ restaurant? Not to diss the present establishments in the village of course but to not have a pub still is just a disgrace! :eek:

I know I saw something recently about Fingal Co Co considering an application to have it used a community centre but I don't know if that would be the greatest use for it either. Then again, better to have it used than empty I suppose?! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The selling price I believe has been the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Nuffster

Figured as much, thanks for the info. Just seems like a total waste, in terms of both money and potential, to have it sitting there. They've held on to it this long though, I wouldn't hold out much hope of anything changing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

I believe originally they intended to lease the place, but no-one took up on that offer. Last year they were selling the place for four million (and the nearby "opening soon" pub space for three).

Source for the prices: http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/six-pubs-worth-836414m-enter-market-1476722.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sking

Does anyone know what is being developed behind ongar house? There are new tarmaced footpaths but all the exits onto the old hansfield road are blocked by tree trucks. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭782378

A Children's playground, full-size soccer and a full-size GAA pitch are proposed behind Ongar House,

Layout is still subject of discussions with local residents, and the layout is not yet finalized.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 InOngar

"It could really bring the village to life if someone was to take a punt on it and open it as a pub/ restaurant? Not to diss the present establishments in the village of course but to not have a pub still is just a disgrace! :eek:"

Although I agree with you that 'Ongar House' could be used to bring the village to life I don't think that a pub is necassarily the answer. Nor do i believe that it is a disgrace that the village has no pub. Ongar is one of the few places in Dublin where residents can rest easy that they won't be disturbed by drunken revellers at kicking out time and don't wake up on a Sunday morning only to have to wash down the pavements after someone's one too many

Perhaps Ongar could continue to be the peaceful village that it is and Ongar House could be used to bring life to the village as you suggest. However, perhaps it could be used in a more original way that all members of the community can benefit from.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

InOngar wrote: »
    Although I agree with you that 'Ongar House' could be used to bring the village to life I don't think that a pub is necassarily the answer. Nor do i believe that it is a disgrace that the village has no pub.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Nuffster wrote: »
    but to not have a pub still is just a disgrace! :eek:

Why is it a disgrace to not have a pub!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

i was told about this before. there are three pub places available in ongar village, the house, a small one behind the coffee shop and the last one at the far end near the offie. but stipulation is that they cannot be leased seperatley, one lease for the three.... hence none open

Advertisement