Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christy Burke leaves Sinn Fein due to lack of support

Options
  • 09-06-2009 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Any Dublin heads got the inside track on this? The parties longest serving rep on the council is citing SF not giving him the backing on the ground during the recent campaign. Reading the P.ie thread it seems he is a figure who many have little time for.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

On with Joe Duffy now.. Seems a bit defated, dejected....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/16589

Seems to be true.... Official statement from SF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bit of a cheek to go now, as pointed out.

He always said no one man was a party and no party is one man so i suppose they will motor on without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Christy Burke has been shafted by the MLM fasination

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Any Dublin heads got the inside track on this?

There was some tension going back a while to when Mary lou first popped up on the scene. It was felt she was pushed too much as the new good looking / middle class / image, what ever way you want to market her, to appeal to a wider audience. It was felt this was done at the expense of others who worked the ground long before her, but didn't have her media appeal. He cites not getting fair backing, and that may be genuine, but I'd say it was a long time coming and not just a recent development. Perhaps many years of the Mary Lou image being pushed coming to a head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lorcan 17

Surely there are lots of people out there who voted for Christy Burke because he was a Sinn Fein candidate .Indeed Sinn Fein ran a 2nd candidate in the ward who must feel very hard done by today . If Christy Burke had any balls he should have resigned from Sinn Fein in advance of the election , ran as an independant and be honest with the voters .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

He's a braver man than I!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he on liveline today, didn't g into much but wanted a freer vote wanted to vote for the council budget and for things like the bin charge??

clown bag wrote: »
    There was some tension going back a while to when Mary lou first popped up on the scene. It was felt she was pushed too much as the new good looking / middle class / image, what ever way you want to market her, to appeal to a wider audience. It was felt this was done at the expense of others who worked the ground long before her, but didn't have her media appeal. He cites not getting fair backing, and that may be genuine, but I'd say it was a long time coming and not just a recent development. Perhaps many years of the Mary Lou image being pushed coming to a head?

pure speculation I am afraid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

clown bag wrote: »

perfectly true im afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

perfectly true

perfectly true opinion.

he stated lack of support, not this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Nodin wrote: »
    Bit of a cheek to go now, as pointed out.

More than a bit, he could have waited six months and made it look like less of a bait and switch tbh.

or quit before the election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I can perfectly understand the man if this is the case. The whole MLM thing, along with this new supposed 'supersexy' Thoireasa Ferris are bad marketing ploys by SF in my opinion, but then again, what else have they to offer..... Perhaps an old skooler like Burke was right to go, let some young ditsy girl take up the mantle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Definetly, im sure even non-SF voters will have lost respect for the man

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Well one assumes that he didn't discover the lack of support until after he began his campaign and it would be unreasonable to expect someone to suddenly go independent 2 or 3 weeks from the election.

perfectly true im afraid

Your just jumping on the band wagon!
    perfectly true opinion.

he stated lack of support, not this.

Thank you

The ONLY WAY mary lou was pushed was on the womens platform and on the european platform. Christy Burke imo always felt threatened for some reason. but i think he failed to see the logic that provided he gets the sinn fein vote out he is always in before a new canidate!

This is the strategy sinn fein used with Dessie Ellis in Ballymun Finglas. This is the strategy sinn fein used in Coolock with Larry O Toole. The new canidates are always pushed cause the old boys like christy will ALWAYS get there vote. You need to ask why he fails to see a strategy he proposed!

IF this turns out to be the reason it shows a lot of bad character on the part of christy burke and as a person who met and admires christy burke this is not the case.

IMO Christy Burke left to line himself up for a dail seat. He sites getting no support from the party. This is pure bull as well he got no less support than any other canidate

yes i extremely doubt he got little support - if he asked he would have received support

its a small party in the south but has big innvolvement in communities and uses tds etc wages in part to fund campaigns

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Has he any connection to republican sinn fein? they run as independents afaik

• Advertisement

No connection....Yet . RSF seem to think shinners are baxtards from what I see. I find that amazing and single minded of them. Doubt he will be one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

They run as indepdents because they aren't a registered party.

And no, no connection to RSF.

Advertisement