Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta 'is on brink of collapse'

• 09-06-2009 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Excellent I say! Monay night football back on Sky! No more wondering what channel the game is on! No more having Setanta Ireland turned off if you have it on Sky and a game is on! No more build up on Setanta Ireland only to have them turn stop footage once the players come out of the tunnel! I really hope Setanta goes!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8090633.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Good job yu have all the answers and theres no flip side to the coin.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's a bad day for sport, if Sky get to control it all, especially for those who don't want to subscribe to Sky sports.

In fairness, Setanta cover a lot of sports, and their coverage is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

But it costs more to have to subscribe to setanta and sky sports. Was much better before setanta so im happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Yeah..but no more Sat afternoon matches :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Paulw wrote: »
    It's a bad day for sport, if Sky get to control it all, especially for those who don't want to subscribe to Sky sports.

In fairness, Setanta cover a lot of sports, and their coverage is very good.

I think it good for fans of the Premier League. Sky made the Premier League what it is so I think all fans of the Premier League should appreciate Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

After this season, Sky had basically the monoply back anyways, so tis not that earth shattering on the scheme of things.

Irish viewers will miss the the Saturday afternoon matches though.

Time for that sleeping giant Eurosport to rise up again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Ideally, there'd be competition for Sky, but Setanta was awful. Their pundits are terrible and the broadcast picture are terrible. Their coverage of golf was taken straight from US TV, which meant it consisted of American golfers, ads and statistics. They were the Ryanair of the broadcast world, but Ryanair can get away with it because their prices are cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Don't Premier League rules now state that there can be no monolopy? So sky won't get setanta's matches, they'll have to go to someone else.

Boggles wrote: »
    After this season, Sky had basically the monoply back anyways, so tis not that earth shattering on the scheme of things.

Irish viewers will miss the the Saturday afternoon matches though.

Time for that sleeping giant Eurosport to rise up again!!

In the article it mentions ESPN! Could be a case of the devil you have . . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Will RTE get back the odd Saturday game now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

BaZmO* wrote: »

RTE had the odd Saturday game because of the agreement with Setanta. I think it was an attempt by Setanta to generate more of a market for the soccer that pretty much backfired. RTE wont get any more matches unless they bid for the rights here methinks, but they are on the verge of bankruptcy themselves (at the rate they are spending, they'll fall over by September they say).

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

BaZmO* wrote: »

Oh yeah, forgot about RTE. Here's hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

hopefully FTA now for them, beeb or ITV please. All they were was a Liverpool club channel anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Will probably mean a return of Sky's ppv scam! :rolleyes:

Most Setanta games were availbale to cable subscribers anyway without extra subscription so it's not great news

RTE had the odd Saturday game because of the agreement with Setanta. I think it was an attempt by Setanta to generate more of a market for the soccer that pretty much backfired. RTE wont get any more matches unless they bid for the rights here methinks, but they are on the verge of bankruptcy themselves (at the rate they are spending, they'll fall over by September they say).

International rights are only a fraction of what the premier league charge sky, the likes of Albania and Hungary show prem matches, the same rules apply for Ireland. Except like you said RTE have squandered our money on Ryan Turbidys wardrobe and Fair City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

ESPN will buy out Setanta and become ESPN Europa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Excellent I say! Monay night football back on Sky! No more wondering what channel the game is on! No more having Setanta Ireland turned off if you have it on Sky and a game is on! No more build up on Setanta Ireland only to have them turn stop footage once the players come out of the tunnel! I really hope Setanta goes!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8090633.stm

Great another 300 full time employees in Dublin out of work!
    Great another 100-150 freelancers either out of or with very little work!
    Great no more coverage of minority and underage sports in Ireland!
    Take your selfish attitude and your Union Jack and stick it where the sun don't shine :mad:

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Take your selfish attitude and your Union Jack and stick it where the sun don't shine :mad:

Arn't Setanta majority owned by Virgin Media?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

International rights are only a fraction of what the premier league charge sky, the likes of Albania and Hungary show prem matches, the same rules apply for Ireland. Except like you said RTE have squandered our money on Ryan Turbidys wardrobe and Fair City.

Is it not different for Ireland because we have access to Sky's coverage here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Im sorry, would you prefer they spend the money on British football? Its IRELANDS national broadcaster.

• Advertisement

Is it not different for Ireland because we have access to Sky's coverage here?

We are classed as international so would have to bid for the international rights package which is seperate to what Sky and Setanta have been buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well at least people would watch, Ciaran!

There was talk of somehow keeping Setanta Ireland running as a seperate organisation but God knows what they'd be able to show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

We are classed as international so would have to bid for the international rights package which is seperate to what Sky and Setanta have been buying.
    What do you mean we are "classed as international"? What else would we be classed as? Have we rejoined the UK while I wasnt paying attention?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Im sorry, would you prefer they spend the money on British football? Its IRELANDS national broadcaster.

So they should cocoon themselves to Irish programming?

90% of what they show is American.

Champions league consists of Liverpool and Man United, both British clubs.

Whats your point actually?

Great another 300 full time employees in Dublin out of work!
    Great another 100-150 freelancers either out of or with very little work!
    Great no more coverage of minority and underage sports in Ireland!

I don't like Setanta. If you love it so much, buy a second subscription, or a third . . . . . they really need money by the end of the month. I feel so sorry for a tv station had had a near billion offer a year ago but chose to reject it.

CiaranC wrote: »
    What do you mean we are "classed as international"? What else would we be classed as? Have we rejoined the UK while I wasnt paying attention?

We did yeah Ciaran, did you miss the memo?, could you take your "Wind that shakes the Barley" shíté elsewhere please. :rolleyes:

Arn't Setanta majority owned by Virgin Media?

Not as far as I am aware although they do have a partnership agreement with Virgin in UK similiar to the UPC agreement in Ireland. Majority of company still owned by the 2 Irish guys that set it up in a London pub with an RTE feed for the Ireland V Holland world cup clash back in 1990 as far as I know.
    Anyway strickly speaking Murdock is from Australia and not the UK but I think people know what i mean.
    Sky probably employ less than 10 people in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. I feel so sorry for a tv station had had a near billion offer a year ago but chose to reject it.

So everyone who owns a company should sell it when an offer comes in or they deserve to go bust?

But what tv company here would pay to bid for the rights when they'd face competition from Sky. In Hungary, for instance, i doubt they have the same problem.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    So everyone who owns a company should sell it when an offer comes in or they deserve to go bust?

Are you attempting to equate my statement to your "question"?

If that "loose" football contract were to be bought up by a terrestrial broadcaster sadly it would almost certainly be ITV who as cash strapped as they are would love to have a live match on Saturday evening followed by Ant and Dec type show.

But what tv company here would pay to bid for the rights when they'd face competition from Sky. In Hungary, for instance, i doubt they have the same problem.

With Setanta gone, there would be no competition for the 3pm matches. As Sky are forbidden from showing them, due to affecting crowd numbers at the actual games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I work within the broadcasting industry, and only had a meeting with some Setanta Reps a few months ago.
    The loss of the Premiership package hit them badly, but they're not in as dire straights as the media are implying.
    ESPN don't want to buy Setantas premier league games.
    They want to buy Setanta whole.
    The last offer was somewhere in the region of 1.5 billion!

Setanta are pretty much trying to find investors to allow them to continue, if they fail to achieve this, they will be forced to sell.

Either way, the Sky monopoly isn't going to be coming back anytime soon.

Setanta have stations in Africa, Australia, and America as well as England/Ireland.

The most likely Scenario is Setanta will become Setanta(ESPN) and over the course of a couple of years be rebranded to ESPN.

I don't like Setanta. If you love it so much, buy a second subscription, or a third . . . . . they really need money by the end of the month. I feel so sorry for a tv station had had a near billion offer a year ago but chose to reject it.

'Buy a second or third sub' grow up will you.
    Excuse me but I am referring to 450 people in Ireland not to mention those in London, Glasgow, New York, Syndey and many other international cities that will lose there jobs.
    You come across as bitter, twisted Anti-Irish and someone that watches EPL an probably England Internationals but not a whole lot else.
    Setanta Sports Ireland has been a fantastic addition to TV in the past 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

BBC have practically zero live football matches these days yeah? I'd love them to get a few matches. Not just because it's free, but their punditry and coverage in general is top notch.

• Advertisement

Either way, the Sky monopoly isn't going to be coming back anytime soon.

It is more or less back the season after next. They won the rights to 4 of the 6 "plum" packages including getting Monday night and Saturday evening back, Setanta have yet to renew on the remaining 2 packages, Sky AFAIK can come in and take one more, meaning 5/6 packages, which is as close to a monolpy as you can get. The last package being the 3pm games which Sky cannot show anyways.

'Buy a second or third sub' grow up will you.
    Excuse me but I am referring to 450 people in Ireland not to mention those in London, Glasgow, New York, Syndey and many other international cities that will lose there jobs.
    You come across as bitter, twisted Anti-Irish and someone that watches EPL an probably England Internationals but not a whole lot else.
    Setanta Sports Ireland has been a fantastic addition to TV in the past 4 years.

You come across as a racist.

Hang on which deal do Setanta still "have"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It is more or less back the season after next. They won the rights to 4 of the 6 "plum" packages including getting Monday night and Saturday evening back, Setanta have yet to renew on the remaining 2 packages, Sky AFAIK can come in and take one more, meaning 5/6 packages, which is as close to a monolpy as you can get. The last package being the 3pm games which Sky cannot show anyways.

I know this is a football forum, but I'm reffering to Sport in general.
    Setanta has better boxing, golf, and MMA than Sky.
    Even going back to football, they have better European rights than Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,461 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sky already have 5 of the 6 packages (for the season after next), Setanta currently have the 6th.

• Advertisement

I know this is a football forum, but I'm reffering to Sport in general.
    Setanta has better boxing, golf, and MMA than Sky.

Boxing and Golf viewing is on major decline, don't think Sky are losing too much sleep over it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bit confused by this. How have Setanta got better European rights than Sky? Do Sky not show Champions League games as opposed to Setanta's UEFA Cup? Or are you talking about next season?

But the people who watch these events on setanta, and may no longer have anywhere to watch, could be quite annoyed. Will sky or BBC or ITV pick up all the golf, boxing, UFC rights setanta currently have?

Pighead wrote: »
    Bit confused by this. How have Setanta got better European rights than Sky? Do Sky not show Champions League games as opposed to Setanta's UEFA Cup? Or are you talking about next season?

He is talking about european leagues I think.

Sky already have 5 of the 6 packages (for the season after next), Setanta currently have the 6th.

I stand corrected, they secured the 5th package a week later.

Cheers Mitch.

Pighead wrote: »

I'm assuming he means eaurpean leagues - such as the German league. Not sure what else they have

Boxing and Golf viewing is on major decline, don't think Sky are losing too much sleep over it to be honest.

can you back this up, or were the figures taken from when Woods was out injured. Golf seems to be as strong as ever

can you back this up, or were the figures taken from when Woods was out injured. Golf seems to be as strong as ever

It was in the paper a few months back, they addressed Tennis, Golf, Boxing, Snooker, etc and how the lack of characters and professionalism of the sport have seen casual viewer decline.

For me personally it rings true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

He is talking about european leagues I think.
    I'm assuming he means eaurpean leagues - such as the German league. Not sure what else they have
    But Sky have Spanish football. Surely that outweighs anything Setanta may have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Originally Posted by Pighead

Setanta show German league, Dutch league,English league, Irish league, Northern Ireland league, French League, Champions League and Uefa Cup. Probably missing a few too.

Sky show Spannish league, English League and Champions League.

• Advertisement
Advertisement