Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta 'is on brink of collapse'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Pighead wrote: »
    But Sky have Spanish football. Surely that outweighs anything Setanta may have?

Of course, Sky could have gone for Italian, German, Portuguese, etc, but the interest would simply not be there.

Sky are well place to do it in Italy and Germany, with Sky Italia and Murdoch after buying a large stake in the German equivalant of Sky, Premiere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Boggles wrote: »
    Boxing and Golf viewing is on major decline, don't think Sky are losing too much sleep over it to be honest.

Boxing is on the decline, but that is mainly due to to the massive incline in MMA.
    Which as I said Setanta has the monopoly in (Sky has Cage Rage!:p)

Pighead wrote: »
    Bit confused by this. How have Setanta got better European rights than Sky? Do Sky not show Champions League games as opposed to Setanta's UEFA Cup? Or are you talking about next season?

As the lads were saying, I was reffering to the European Leagues themselves.
    Setanta have German/Italian/Dutch/French domestic games, while Sky have Spanish.

Boxing is on the decline, but that is mainly due to to the massive incline in MMA.
    Which as I said Setanta has the monopoly in (Sky has Cage Rage!:p)

I'm probably making a point by asking this question, but what the fook is MMA? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm probably making a point by asking this question, but what the fook is MMA? :o

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1137

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

You come across as a racist.

That makes no since whatsoever. Grow up and sit up or shout up if you have nothing of any significance to add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Take your selfish attitude and your Union Jack and stick it where the sun don't shine :mad:
    You come across as bitter, twisted Anti-Irish and someone that watches EPL an probably England Internationals but not a whole lot else.
    That makes no since whatsoever. Grow up and sit up or shout up if you have nothing of any significance to add.

Does it make sense now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mod note: Tomthepost and Onemorechance, cop the fcuk on. Step back and tone down your replies, before one/both of you do something that earns you a break from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

'Buy a second or third sub' grow up will you.
    Excuse me but I am referring to 450 people in Ireland not to mention those in London, Glasgow, New York, Syndey and many other international cities that will lose there jobs.

I'd hate to see them lose their job, I've worked on some advertising with the Setanta guys - and they're really nice to work with.

Also found their support staff great as well, I think they've a call centre in Newry?

For anyone laying the boot in and wishing them ill luck - for shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

side note:

where are people coming from with the suggestion there was a near billion Euro offer for the broadcaster?

I read the other day (can't remember where, either BBC or the Guardian) that ESPN/Disney declared interest in a takeover, but the price was set at 1billion by the shareholders which was balked at by ESPN/Disney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

UFC

It's the new WWF

Mod note: Tomthepost and Onemorechance, cop the fcuk on. Step back and tone down your replies, before one/both of you do something that earns you a break from here.

Sorry Mr Griffin. I hope that the people in Setanta do not lose their jobs.

MMA PPV figures are passing out Both boxing and WWE PPV figures in America.
    Whil there are more boxing events, MMA is expanding massively, and taking a lot of the old boxing audience.
    after Football, MMA is one of, if not, Setantas highest ratings earner.

Des wrote: »
    UFC

It's the new WWF

:rolleyes:

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Is there not already a thread of this somewhere?

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Is there not already a thread of this somewhere?

Yes, but not relating to EPL.

What?

Not the place for it Des, but that's about as ridiculous a statement as saying actual football is the new Football Manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

What?

it would be more apt to say it is the new boxing. One is a competitive sport the other is "entertainment".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

UFC

It's the new WWF

I travelled down Oz with a couple of MMA guys. it's nothing like WWF, they know their stuff. One of them had been in Thailand for near a year training in Muay Thai, his dedication to it was unreal. To compare it to that pantomime of a sport is ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

UFC

It's the new WWF

ignorance - the obstacle to genuine debate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

ignorance - the obstacle to genuine debate.

I think he was joking....

I think he was joking....

i would really hope so

might be bit OT, but Setanta going would mean that we don't have to suffer every Liverpool game so might not be so bad ;)

It's still greased up, steroid munching strongmen.

No matter how you dress it up.

I will be stunned if this doesn't mean another broadcaster stepping in and taking over Setanta's PL rights, and that will more than likely be ESPN who can afford to take a hit for a number of years while they eat away at Sky's subscriber base.

The fall of Setanta will not mean all PL on one broadcaster, so get that idea out of your head.

The European Commission will make sure of that if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Its all a bit homoerotic alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Wonder if Channel 4 will take back their Serie A matches.

More than welcome to my gym in Bray for a training session. Don't think you'd last being kicked in the head, punched in the face and having your ligaments strained and ( if you are stupid enough not to tap ) possibly a bone broken.

No matter how you dress it up. ;)

More than welcome to my gym in Bray for a training session. Don't think you'd last being kicked in the head, punched in the face and having your ligaments strained and ( if you are stupid enough not to tap ) possibly a bone broken.

No matter how you dress it up. ;)

Er, no I wouldn't be too happy about that.

Still doesn't mean they aren't greased up steroid munchers though. :)

Don't think you'd last being kicked in the head, punched in the face and having your ligaments strained and ( if you are stupid enough not to tap ) possibly a bone broken.
    Sounds like a trip to Dalymount

So you hate all sports then.
    Seeing as all atheletes are tested for steroids.
    Obviously football is top of your list then.

Also, "grease" is illegal in MMA do to the fact that it's an actual sport!

• Advertisement

Have to agree with Des here, anytime I have seen it the 2 guys look like a ball of snakes wrapped around each other, with little happening.

Boxing is a sport this is a fad.
    I will be stunned if this doesn't mean another broadcaster stepping in and taking over Setanta's PL rights, and that will more than likely be ESPN who can afford to take a hit for a number of years while they eat away at Sky's subscriber base.

The fall of Setanta will not mean all PL on one broadcaster, so get that idea out of your head.

The European Commission will make sure of that if nothing else.

Setanta have 12 months of their current rights left, if someone takes over from setanta tis not an attractive prosposition having to show Sky's scraps.

5/6 packages for 3 years, is not quite a monoply but as close as you can get I'm afriad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

hearing just now that it's gone altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

UFC

It's the new WWF

showing your age Des

poindexter wrote: »
    hearing just now that it's gone altogether

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

dogpile wrote: »

Most Setanta games were availbale to cable subscribers anyway without extra subscription so it's not great news
    That is my situation .I shall miss the back to back internationals ,specially the Ireland games :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

if it does belly up

what will happen the Saturday games ?

Headshot wrote: »
    if it does belly up

what will happen the Saturday games ?

RTE or TV3 will probably buy the rights off the receiver.

RTE are bankrupt and TV3 are using the majority of their budget keeping those Biddys on Exposé in fake tan and war paint. :pac:

RTE are bankrupt and TV3 are using the majority of their budget keeping those Biddys on Exposé in fake tan and war paint. :pac:

Who else will be up against them though? The value of the rights will be a function of who is in the running for them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Anyone know the chances of ESPN buying Setanta, weren't they interested in getting into the market over here? Is it possible? Would be great for the customer if they did.

CHD wrote: »
    Anyone know the chances of ESPN buying Setanta, weren't they interested in getting into the market over here? Is it possible? Would be great for the customer if they did.

Wasn't there talk of them having offered £1 last week for them and Setanta management said no?

I would imagine they are interested if at the right price.

£1? what? no idea if your serious.

£1? what? no idea if your serious.

Can't remember where I saw that, but I definitely read it last week.#

One search I've done reveals:
    It is understood that Setanta’s backers are looking at possibly spinning out the Irish and international business.

Setanta Sports Ireland is believed to be modestly profitable with annual revenues of more than €40 million. It has a separate shareholder structure with music promoter Denis Desmond owning 20 per cent and the Setanta parent company controlling the balance.

It holds rights for certain sports that apply to Ireland only, including Saturday afternoon games from the Premier League in England, Magners League rugby and Formula One. “Hopefully there is a way of ringfencing Ireland,” one informed source told The Irish Times .

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0609/1224248422507.html

Would be decent news for Irish ounters, but they would surely have to reduce the sub considering they'd lose a lot of their rights including package 6 from the PL, so may not be viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

How would it be great? ESPN would come and say "hey we are pay per view" meaning were in the exact same situation as we had with Setanta.

Lets face it the way it was with sky having the rights meant we got to see ALL the best matches and all they usually showed on that prem plus thing was games such as sunderland v everton....and of course no one would be interested in them :p

Seriously though it costs us less if Sky get back what they had.

joe123 wrote: »
    How would it be great? ESPN would come and say "hey we are pay per view" meaning were in the exact same situation as we had with Setanta.

Lets face it the way it was with sky having the rights meant we got to see ALL the best matches and all they usually showed on that prem plus thing was games such as sunderland v everton....and of course no one would be interested in them :p

Seriously though it costs us less if Sky get back what they had.
    What do yo want, someone to come in and spend millions and show them for free? Not going to happen.

ESPN or someone would provide genuine competition to SkySports and greatly improve on what Setanta have/provide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Forget about Setanta but what would happen to the "Special one"?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

BSkyB chiefs today confirmed they refused a £50million lifeline to stricken broadcaster Setanta.

Sky's chief executive Jeremy Darroch said they were 'a broadcaster not a bank' but insisted they had no wish to see Setanta go into administration.

Setanta had asked Sky for a £50million interest-free loan and in return offered access to the live rights to 46 Premier League games next season as an add-on option to Sky Sports.

The Irish broadcaster is in crisis with a payment of more than £30million due to the Premier League this week and backers refusing to advance them any more money.

Darroch told a Sports Industry Group event in London today: 'Our job is not to fund other companies.

'We have been talking to Setanta, and trying to work with them and help them.

'At the end of the day we are not a bank, we are a broadcaster, not a supplier of working capital to a business and rights holder.

'Our job is not to fund other companies. This is a huge amount of money.'

Another broadcaster ESPN is favourite to step in and take over Setanta's Premier League games if they go into administration but they refused to comment.

Meanwhile, Setanta's subscription services for new customers became unavailable today.

Website applicants were flashed a message saying: 'Oops! Something has gone wrong...'

Setanta's customer services confirmed to callers new subscriptions were unavailable but they hoped the situation would have returned to normal by tomorrow.

The Premier League should not be too badly affected should Setanta go into administration as they have only won one of the six live broadcast packages for 2010 to 2013.

The Football Association, who have a £150million deal for England and FA Cup games with Setanta, and the Scottish Premier League have more significant problems however even though their agreements have been front-loaded in terms of cash being paid in advance.

Under a pre-arranged deal, ITV would take over the rights to up to eight England away friendlies for a pre-agreed sum.

The FA Cup would provide more problems but it is understood the FA would approach ITV in the first instance to see if they want to take over any live games. If ITV were not interested,
    they would approach other broadcasters - both terrestrial and subscription services.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/...y_setanta.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

UFC

It's the new WWF

CiaranC wrote: »
    Its all a bit homoerotic alright.
    Have to agree with Des here, anytime I have seen it the 2 guys look like a ball of snakes wrapped around each other, with little happening.

Boxing is a sport this is a fad.

Ah lads, showing ignorance to a sport yous have no clue about or have never trained or competed in.

I'll miss Setanta, the amount of Liverpool games shown was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a joint deal.
    It'd make sense as theres about 15 weekends a year where RTE wouldn't want to show a 3.00 Saturday game anyway (the 5 weekends of 6Nations Rugby, Autumn Internationals, their Basketball commitment twice a year, various racing festivals etc).

So if theres ~30 Saturdays in a season they could split it 15/15 between them, and with Setanta out of the way they would pick them up for relative peanuts. No real issue with finance, as once you've paid for the games its a really cheap way to fill 2 hours of TV and get decent advertising revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Setanta are definitely going in Administration, UK service providers are to cease offering they're packages with immediate affect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement