Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta 'is on brink of collapse'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Boggles wrote: »
    Have to agree with Des here, anytime I have seen it the 2 guys look like a ball of snakes wrapped around each other, with little happening.

This is the real Ronaldo (jacare)

1208635528.g.jpg

mma-ufc-blood.jpg

30114743.gif

mma_sherk_florian_300.jpg

wanderlei-silva-rampage-jackson.jpg

rampage_jackson_wanderlei_silva_knockout.jpg

Boxing is a sport this is a fad..

A fifteen year fad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Right lads, we get it...there's some pro-MMA heads, and there's some anti-MMA heads...

Lets leave all that for the right time and place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Sky isn't allowed to control all the packages.

So ESPN or someone else can step in to take 1 or 2 of these packages.

Just to keep Sky on their toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

This is boll*x.. Who are going to show the games on Saturday now? And the Magners league rugby??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is it time for people to stop the direct debits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Is it time for people to stop the direct debits?

Once you are still receiving the service I don't see why.

I've cancelled Setanta and Sky Sports with UPC, but was always planning on doing that anyway.

masterK wrote: »
    Setanta are definitely going in Administration, UK service providers are to cease offering they're packages with immediate affect.
    Once you are still receiving the service I don't see why.

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

?

Could mean offering of new subscriptions.

?

I read that to mean they are not taking new customers, not that they are ceasing to broadcast. Maybe I am wrong.

• Advertisement

I've cancelled Setanta and Sky Sports with UPC, but was always planning on doing that anyway.

Actually this is another point. Don't we deal with UPC/NTL or Sky over here?

Don't you get one bill for the entire service. If Setanta stops broadcasting it would be up to UPC to stop paying Setanta and for UPC to refund or amend your bill as you see fit.

Maybe, but tis the summer, not a bad time to cancel and see how things pan out when the footy season starts up again.

Maybe, but tis the summer, not a bad time to cancel and see how things pan out when the footy season starts up again.

Well anyone who uses Setanta for just the footy would be wise to cancel for the couple of months anyway. Its used in my house for other things as well such as golf, and UFC (don't ban me its relevant :)), also used for magners league which is on an off season at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Boo hoo hoo.

There's bloody overkill of EPL football on TV anyway.

This is a Good Thing as far as I'm concerned.

FFS, who the hell is interested in watching Wigan vs Stoke anyway?

Someone should just show the Top 4, that's all anyone is interested in anyway.

I don't say this as an LoI head either, I like watching decent standard quality football on my television, as well as getting my Live Fix in Tolka Park every second week, but fúcking hell, there is too much EPL on the telly.

The demise of Setanta proves this.

There aren't enough punters interested in watching the Sky overflow.

Des wrote: »
    Boo hoo hoo.

I don't say this as an LoI head either, I like watching decent standard quality football on my television, as well as getting my Live Fix in Tolka Park every second week, but fúcking hell, there is too much EPL on the telly.

...but out of the games Setanta showed every week at least one of them nearly always featured a club from the top four if not not both of them.

Boo hoo hoo.

The demise of Setanta will do nothing to stop that, the rights will end up in someone else's hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Boo hoo hoo.

What are you on about, Sky only usually show one or two prem games on a Sunday, how is that "overkill" ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Setanta thought that by getting teh EPL right, people would buy their subs. From what I can see, people just go to the pub to see the game if they really want to see it.

They over extended themselves. Paid far too much money for EPL, Magners League, even SPL. I cannot imagine their viewership of the BS premier was too high for neutrals either.

Sky is the dominant player in this, and will continue to be so, despite being far too expensive.

Though someone on the radio said this morning Setanta Ireland could be ok for now as iot is currently turning a profit. I would imagine it would be a very scaled back version though.
    Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    What are you on about, Sky only usually show one or two prem games on a Sunday, how is that "overkill" ffs

Des is right in his overkill though. Some weekends, you could have as many as 4 EPL games on the TV. Add in that their may be Spanish, French and German football screened by one or the other on the same weekend, its football overkill.

Boo hoo hoo.

From a football perspective, I think it was more that a lot of football fans couldn't justify another 250 a year or so for the Setanta football games. If Setanta had offered a PremPlus-like offer, say a once off payment of 70 or 80 euro for just the premiership football matches they have, I probably would have paid that (as I did when Sky did offer PremPlus). However, I couldn't justify the extra monthly cost for Setanta on top of what I already pay for Sky each month, and given the choice between Setanta Sports and Sky Sports, I was always going to chose Sky Sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

overkill?

i think there are 4 games a weekend

sky have one saturday morning and sunday afternoon. Setanta show one saturday evening. then there is one either sunday morning on sky or monday evening on setanta.

Setanta ireland sometimes show a game on saturday afternoons, but thats irish only

and i really cant see how its a good thing, a lot of people in ireland will lose their jobs over this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

people say sky is expensive but maybe they priced their package realisticly. I mean setanta paid alot for the rights to PL and their gambe didnt pay off. I think any company that takes the Setanta PL package would be better suited to a Prem plus type deal. Where you pay 100 at the start of the season for all their games or pay 10 per game.

As for RTE/TV3. that could be a runner as RTE had half rights before with Setanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Setanta should have gone all out and bid big for the premium premiership games. Not many people are going to subscribe for the rubbish package they got. They would have got a load of subscriptions then.
    Agree with Des, too many premiership games on the TV.
    We have 3 on a saturday, 2 on sunday and 1 sometimes on monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Quint wrote: »
    Setanta should have gone all out and bid big for the premium premiership games. Not many people are going to subscribe for the rubbish package they got. They would have got a load of subscriptions then.
    Agree with Des, too many premiership games on the TV.
    We have 3 on a saturday, 2 on sunday and 1 sometimes on monday.

I don't agree with this. The valuation of those games must be too high as the viewership is not there. But some people like myself will watch as much football as they can get some weekends. It's great to have the choice. The valuation just has to match the amount watching it, rather than reduce what they show.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

I blame setantas downfall on that pos of a pundit the great Pat Dolan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

What I thought was funny was Setanta approaching Sky for a bail out. I could just imagine the Sky board meeting on that one. "Right lads do we want to help out or main competitor?" Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

iregk wrote: »
    What I thought was funny was Setanta approaching Sky for a bail out. I could just imagine the Sky board meeting on that one. "Right lads do we want to help out or main competitor?" Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

If Sky were to make money out of it you can bet your life they would have bailed them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Although Setanta are a terrible company to deal with, it is a big blow for Scottish football. There is more to life that the EPL. It will be unfortunate for all their staff as well.

I have found that Setanta's main problem started when they payed over the odds for the EPL rights and trying to compete with Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

iregk wrote: »

Sky probably did consider it.

Choice A.
    Help out their cripped competitor a little bit, but not enough to enable them to become a serious competitor. Result - Sky remain the leader for forseeable future.

Choice B.
    Let them go to the wall, and hence risk the new competition being better financed and managed. Result - Unknown ramifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have abolutely no problem seeing Setanta fail at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Although Setanta are a terrible company to deal with, it is a big blow for Scottish football. There is more to life that the EPL. It will be unfortunate for all their staff as well.

I have found that Setanta's main problem started when they payed over the odds for the EPL rights and trying to compete with Sky.

No its the complete opposite of what you say. Setanta over spent on rights like the SPL & IPL, this left not enough cash to pay for the the fifth PL package they missed out on after submitting an offer which was identical to what they paid for the package years previous.

People subscribe to Sky & Setantas for the PL. Everything else like SPL, Cricket & Rugby are small fry in comparison. You lose 50% of your USP and you're left with a shrinking subscriber base and very expensive commitments to other sports & league TV rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Choice A.
    Help out their cripped competitor a little bit, but not enough to enable them to become a serious competitor. Result - Sky remain the leader for forseeable future.

Choice B.
    Let them go to the wall, and hence risk the new competition being better financed and managed. Result - Unknown ramifications.

Exactly, I'm sure it wasnt a knee jerk reaction to just turn it down. I guess seen as they are in such a position of strength going forward (with the lions share of future EPL deals, which seem to be the main earner and selling point) they are pretty confident that they are going to hold off any body else that would come in.

Choice A.

Choice B.

Also, Setanta were offering Sky their football matches, in some way, not sure how it would have worked but it would have seen Sky able to offer the games.

"Setanta had offered access to its live rights for 46 English Premier League games next season as an add-on option to Sky Sports, in return for the cash."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

Hmm I'll have to be careful over what footy deal I'll sign up to next season so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Also, Setanta were offering Sky their football matches, in some way, not sure how it would have worked but it would have seen Sky able to offer the games.

"Setanta had offered access to its live rights for 46 English Premier League games next season as an add-on option to Sky Sports, in return for the cash."

As you say it's a bit vague how that would work. My guess would be setanta would offer a smaller subscription fee if you were on sky sports there by giving incentive to people like me who had setanta and went to the pub for sky games.
    But bottom line no matter what way you work out the scheme they came up with surely it would have lowered their takings per subscriber next year and left themselves long term in a worse position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ShooterSF wrote: »
    As you say it's a bit vague how that would work. My guess would be setanta would offer a smaller subscription fee if you were on sky sports there by giving incentive to people like me who had setanta and went to the pub for sky games.
    But bottom line no matter what way you work out the scheme they came up with surely it would have lowered their takings per subscriber next year and left themselves long term in a worse position.

Setanta may not last the next week. It would have of course lowered their takings, but it might have at least given them a chance to restructure their business to survive.

Anyway, they are screwed. Tis a pity, but nothing more really. They tried to copy SKYs business model, but ultimately didn't have the capital or the will (or both) to follow through with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No its the complete opposite of what you say. Setanta over spent on rights like the SPL & IPL, this left not enough cash to pay for the the fifth PL package they missed out on after submitting an offer which was identical to what they paid for the package years previous.

People subscribe to Sky & Setantas for the PL. Everything else like SPL, Cricket & Rugby are small fry in comparison. You lose 50% of your USP and you're left with a shrinking subscriber base and very expensive commitments to other sports & league TV rights.

Setanta had no problem with the current SPL deal getting the subscribers to fund that. Their problem came about (and the sneaky way they operate) when they bid for the EPL stuff thus needing to increase their subscriber base dramatically to fund it. They could not increase their subscriber base enough to break even. They then paid over the odds for the next SPL deal which has not kicked off yet and they had been in the process of renegotiating it. They tried to renegotiate the EPL deal and the EPL told them to feck off.

I subcribed to Setanta for the SPL not the EPL

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Latest on this

Setanta today confirmed they have suspended any new subscriptions from their sports services

link

Setanta are believed to have 200k subscribers north of the border, so they had to compete with Sky when the SPL contract came up for renewal...they went from paying £13.5m a year to £31.25m a year (£125m over 4 years) for 60 live SPL games a season.

That compares to the Monday night PL option at £159m a year for 3 years.

That sounds like similar value for money when you think about it.

People need to remember Sky Sports went a number of years before they broke even, at a time when sports broadcasting was in its infancy in the UK. Setanta tried to expand into a market at a time of stiffer competition (with ESPN circling as well as an established BSkyB), and have been unlucky that the credit crunch has seen investors and subscribers a like tighten their belts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Setanta are believed to have 200k subscribers north of the border, so they had to compete with Sky when the SPL contract came up for renewal...they went from paying £13.5m a year to £31.25m a year (£125m over 4 years) for 60 live SPL games a season.

That compares to the Monday night PL option at £159m a year for 3 years.

That sounds like similar value for money when you think about it.

People need to remember Sky Sports went a number of years before they broke even, at a time when sports broadcasting was in its infancy in the UK. Setanta tried to expand into a market at a time of stiffer competition (with ESPN circling as well as an established BSkyB), and have been unlucky that the credit crunch has seen investors and subscribers a like tighten their belts.

the biggest problem was that, like so many Irish businesses at the time, their long term business plan hinged on the availability of cheap credit. Once the backers were asked to keep digging into their own pockets when the credit market went tits up they got scared.

Some of the noises out of Setanta recently affirm what you said about SKY. One of those 'inside sources' claims the investors new it would take a long time to break even at the onset, just like Sky, but when once they had taken the path, the 'houses' (investment houses i think) got scared and started to back out when they saw the scale of investment that would be required, and that's the reason they are in the situation they are in.

Very hard to know though, i still think they are in dire straights as much to bad business practices as anything. yes they had to shell out a lot for the SPL because of the thread of SKY, but most analysts still think they paid far in excess of what they needed to. And when you cant get the bare essentials like the picture quality and commentary to people's liking, you're always going to struggle to hold onto subscribers. The "Ryanair of broadcasting" that some have been calling them isn't to far off the mark imo.

Is there many on here that have paid up for the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The Walt Disney-owned sports network, ESPN, says it does not have any plans at present to buy beleaguered Irish broadcaster Setanta.

It comes after speculation ESPN, which lost out on English Premier League TV rights this year, may make a bid.

The board of Setanta, which has halted taking new subscriptions, has spent the week in emergency refinancing talks to try and stave off administration.

"We currently have no plans to buy Setanta," an ESPN spokesman said.

He added: "There are a lot of stories out there that link ESPN with a possible purchase. We wanted to set the record straight." ESPN had bid to win a slice of the forthcoming English Premier League TV deal, which will run from 2010 to 2013.

However, when the deal was announced in February, Sky had won five of the packages and Setanta one.

ESPN would not say whether it would be interested in acquiring Setanta's rights, and their spokesman said it was a hypothetical situation and a question for Setanta and the rights holder.

On Wednesday Setanta confirmed it had stopped taking on new customers as it "attempts to secure the future of the business".

Setanta has been holding emergency meetings this week to discuss survival plans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8094690.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭secman

An announcement of a new investor will be made today, still hanging in there.

Secman

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0612/breaking21.htm

Board meeting today in London to see if other shareholders will accept the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I really hope Setanta get the investment they need and can continue to broadcast, in the short term they should hand back their EPL contract from 2010-13 if possible and concentrate on SPL, europa leage, rugby, ufc etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

A US tycoon is most likely going to buy 51% of the company....

http://www.breakingnews.ie/Sport/eykfeygbkfmh/rss2/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

PCros wrote: »
    A US tycoon is most likely going to buy 51% of the company....

http://www.breakingnews.ie/Sport/eykfeygbkfmh/rss2/

For 20M....vulture.

Dub13 wrote: »
    For 20M....vulture.

Real Madrid could have bought it FOUR times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Pat Dolan may be big in LOI circle's,but he is not up there with Ronaldo on the world stage.Not yet anyway.

Pat Dolan is big everywhere.

• Advertisement

Should make Fantasy Football interesting though.

Advertisement