Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta 'is on brink of collapse'

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think the fact that BBC, ITV, C4, five (five do have FTV versions though, so might have a chance, no EPL on their FTA Freesat variant) etc are all FTA on satellite might run against them, if they were bidding for the rights. There aren't (m)any channels in Europe, who are FTA, that have live EPL games.

I'd imagine Eurosport might have thrown in a bid. Maybe ESPN? Heck, even Bravo or Dave...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

byte wrote: »

I'd imagine Eurosport might have thrown in a bid. Maybe ESPN? Heck, even Bravo or Dave...

Aren't Setanta owned by ESPN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Just called Setanta, I pay monthly but on a 12 month contract, guy asked me why I was cancelling, told him due to the premiership, he told me it was speculation from their main rivals and they are still in negotiations and will still have the premiership in his opinion. He said I was on a 12 month contract and so could not cancel, I told him that the package I signed up for had significantly changed and so they had breached contract. He came back to me and said I could cancel with 40days written notice. They still have the FA Cup and Arsenal tv so not sure what I will do yet.

setanta are fair sly feckers anyway

good riddens
    MrStuffins wrote: »

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

You think they'd be in this mess if they were owned by a Disney subsidiary?

lol

Just tuned in 5ive on Satelite

Not that it's worth anything, but they Do show some UEFA Cup during the year... i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

If ESPN are serious about entering this, they need to purchase both packages. They won't be getting that many subscriptions if they only get 23 games a season. That said, I'm nearly sure Sky will be looking to buy another package to bring them up to their maximum of 5, and that will probably be the Monday evening games. The Saturday 5.15 matches wiil more than likely be a matchup between ITV, BBC and ESPN.

Fingers crossed it'll be the Beeb. They really need some live football.

Just tuned in 5ive on Satelite

Not that it's worth anything, but they Do show some UEFA Cup during the year... i think

yes they should UEFA Cup

they'll probly be showing the Europa cup next season too

You think they'd be in this mess if they were owned by a Disney subsidiary?

lol

Not really, but there's such a thing as throwing good money after bad!

Would you throw money into a company losing STG£100m a year and needing another 700,000 subscribers just to break even?

what's the story with ESPN

is it part of the setanta package or somthing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Just called Setanta, I pay monthly but on a 12 month contract, guy asked me why I was cancelling, told him due to the premiership, he told me it was speculation from their main rivals and they are still in negotiations and will still have the premiership in his opinion. He said I was on a 12 month contract and so could not cancel, I told him that the package I signed up for had significantly changed and so they had breached contract. He came back to me and said I could cancel with 40days written notice. They still have the FA Cup and Arsenal tv so not sure what I will do yet.

:eek:

Send a registered letter giving them 30 days notice, cancel the DD 1 minute past the 30 days.

Headshot wrote: »
    yes they should UEFA Cup

they'll probly be showing the Europa cup next season too

Uefa Cup AND Europa League?

WOW!! We're being spoiled.

Now if they showed the Fairs Cup...............

Uefa Cup AND Europa League?

WOW!! We're being spoiled.

Now if they showed the Fairs Cup...............

:)

The Uefa Cup will be branded the Uefa Europa League from next season under a new extended format

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

If Setanta have lost the premiership, is it curtains for them.

:)

The Uefa Cup will be branded the Uefa Europa League from next season under a new extended format

I know that!

Hence my joke about the Fairs Cup

The Fairs Cup was rebranded as the UEFA Cup...................

I know that!

Hence my joke about the Fairs Cup

The Fairs Cup was rebranded as the UEFA Cup...................

touché

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yay!!

No more Pat Dolan!!

Yay!!

No more Pat Dolan!!

I'll miss Rebecca Lowe though.

Not really, but there's such a thing as throwing good money after bad!

Would you throw money into a company losing STG£100m a year and needing another 700,000 subscribers just to break even?

depends on the circumstances of the company. Sky Sports was the same story when they started, they simply had Murdoch to follow through with the investment. Setanta on the other hand had relied on cheap credit, which of course no longer exists.

But had Setanta been owned by ESPN from day 1, their situation would be completely different. There would have been proper investment in the production, branding and infrastructure, and they wouldn't have pissed money away on things like buying 40 OBs that don't get used. The would have invested in a better product basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Daysha wrote: »
    Fingers crossed it'll be the Beeb. They really need some live football.

It's not a lot but they have 10 live Championship games next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

just called to cancel my sub, no point in waiting

• Advertisement

BrookieD wrote: »
    just called to cancel my sub, no point in waiting

How much notice did they ask for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

just into my 3rd month subscription with Setanta. Am i going to get the 12 month contract bull**** when i phone them? Planning on calling them on Monday or is it best to send in a registed letter and cancel the direct debit on day 31?

There are no 12 month subscriptions with Setanta. They were done away with a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

what's the story with ESPN

is it part of the setanta package or somthing?
    ESPN america is part of the setanta package with sky.

syngindub wrote: »
    just into my 3rd month subscription with Setanta. Am i going to get the 12 month contract bull**** when i phone them? Planning on calling them on Monday or is it best to send in a registed letter and cancel the direct debit on day 31?

Depending on what subscription you have they will try and tell you, you have a 12 month contract,which I was told and can't cancel. however the package you signed up to has now significantly changed therefore under the t&cs you are entitled to cancel, I was told it was 40 days written notice although the guy on the phone claimed that they would still keep the premiership :rolleyes: , I'm going to have a read up again of the t&cs as I feel it is less than 40 days.

a) If we reduce or vary significantly the total amount of programmes available on the Channels within, or the level of service of, your chosen Option, or change the terms and conditions to your detriment, you may end this Contract by giving us a minimum of one month’s written notice within 30 days of the change in programmes or level of service or terms and conditions as applicable

As mentioned as of Friday after the announcement they were still claiming they would have premiership football so I wonder what their reaction will be on Monday. I wonder will they offer reduced monthly subscriptions, they can hardly justify charging the same rates now.

Without premiership football, can Setanta really survive in its present format?

That said without premiership football, can Setanta really survive in its present format?

they can survive, but nowhere near their current scale of operations, perhaps as a niche service providing sports that Sky don't provide (if they can retain rights like UFC etc.).

that said, that presumes they'll have some way to manage the debt, so it's still all up in the air.

they can survive, but nowhere near their current scale of operations, perhaps as a niche service providing sports that Sky don't provide (if they can retain rights like UFC etc.).

that said, that presumes they'll have some way to manage the debt, so it's still all up in the air.

They are going to lose a significant amount of subscriptions though, at a guess I would assume a significant amout of their current subscribers, subscribe for the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I cant find any "Setatnta reference no." in my emails from them....I presume though that they can find this from my email address....or is this gonna be another potential stumbling block to cancelling my subscription.

I'm almost dreading ringing them tbh going by some of the bull you guys have put up with from them so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

For those cancelling - are you in Ireland? The Irish rights are different to the UK rights - it appears that the terminated agreement only applies to the UK rights. Setanta still have the same agreement as last season in Ireland at the moment.

Having said that, if the overall business goes bust, that's all academic, as there won't be any channels on air.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

6ix wrote: »
    For those cancelling - are you in Ireland? The Irish rights are different to the UK rights - it appears that the terminated agreement only applies to the UK rights. Setanta still have the same agreement as last season in Ireland at the moment.

Having said that, if the overall business goes bust, that's all academic, as there won't be any channels on air.

Dam,that means Pat Dolan will be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

isn't that just the games on Setanta Ireland - which is free on NTL. So for anyone who has NTL (and can actually tune it in.....) canceling the sub wouldn't have an effect on watching the games Setanta do have.

Will they?

So Setanta Ireland will have Saturday games at 15:00 and 17:15 and the odd Monday night match?

Or will they just have the 15:00 match, in that case they are not providing you what you signed up to and so you can cancel your contract with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

isn't that just the games on Setanta Ireland - which is free on NTL. So for anyone who has NTL (and can actually tune it in.....) canceling the sub wouldn't have an effect on watching the games Setanta do have.

No.

At present, the Premier League's announcement applies only to the UK. Setanta currently continue to have the same rights to the Premier League in Ireland as they had last season. They also continue to have rights to show the Premier League in the USA and Canada.

Irish rights are completely seperate to the UK.

However, from reading the papers, the situation is grave for Setanta overall, and there is the possibility of the company going completely bust. In this case, the channels will vanish, and the rights will be sold off anyway.
    OPENROAD wrote:
    Will they?

So Setanta Ireland will have Saturday games at 15:00 and 17:15 and the odd Monday night match?

Or will they just have the 15:00 match, in that case they are not providing you what you signed up to and so you can cancel your contract with them.

At the moment, the Irish situation is the same as last season but I would say that could change in the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

At the moment, the Irish situation is the same as last season but I would say that could change in the coming days.

Hopefully RTE will pull a Coup D'etat and get the rights.....and pigs may fly :D

byte

Apart from RTE, TV3 or TG4, who else would bother buying the Irish rights?

The aforementioned are hardly rolling in cash either..

I wonder if there's a minimum fee that can be offered, below which nobody gets the rights?

Apart from RTE, TV3 or TG4, who else would bother buying the Irish rights?

The aforementioned are hardly rolling in cash either..

I wonder if there's a minimum fee that can be offered, below which nobody gets the rights?

maybe rte and tv3 will share rights

byte

maybe rte and tv3 will share rights
    I guess that could be a possibility.

Wouldn't be so bad... well, on RTE anyway, not so sure about Trevor Welsh on TV3. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I guess that could be a possibility.

Wouldn't be so bad... well, on RTE anyway, not so sure about Trevor Welsh on TV3. :)

I don't remember so many Saturday 3pm matches being on TV before Setanta.

Did RTE show the same amount of matches when they had the rights?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I don't remember so many Saturday 3pm matches being on TV before Setanta.

Did RTE show the same amount of matches when they had the rights?

The Irish rights were only split a few years ago,the first deal was 50/50 with Setanta & RTE.Then in the second deal Setanta got the rights on its own.

• Advertisement

Does it state in the contract that you agreed to that premiership football will always be shown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Depending on what subscription you have they will try and tell you, you have a 12 month contract,which I was told and can't cancel. however the package you signed up to has now significantly changed therefore under the t&cs you are entitled to cancel, I was told it was 40 days written notice although the guy on the phone claimed that they would still keep the premiership :rolleyes: , I'm going to have a read up again of the t&cs as I feel it is less than 40 days.

a) If we reduce or vary significantly the total amount of programmes available on the Channels within, or the level of service of, your chosen Option, or change the terms and conditions to your detriment, you may end this Contract by giving us a minimum of one month’s written notice within 30 days of the change in programmes or level of service or terms and conditions as applicable

As mentioned as of Friday after the announcement they were still claiming they would have premiership football so I wonder what their reaction will be on Monday. I wonder will they offer reduced monthly subscriptions, they can hardly justify charging the same rates now.

Without premiership football, can Setanta really survive in its present format?
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Does it state in the contract that you agreed to that premiership football will always be shown?

Doesn't specifically mention premiership football, but does give solid grounds for canceling your subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Doesn't specifically mention premiership football, but does give solid grounds for canceling your subscription.

Doesn't matter a fook what they have in the terms and conditions, if they significantly change their product from what you signed up to, your statuary rights always always apply, nothing superseeds them, they can have whatever terms and conditions they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

SPL are in process of finding buyers for their games from today as well. As the £3 million missed payment still has not been paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

dooferoaks wrote: »
    SPL are in process of finding buyers for their games from today as well. As the £3 million missed payment still has not been paid.

Sky will pick them up for around 90 million according to reports, it's a pity Setanta won't survive as they brought alot of good things to sports broadcasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

:eek:Setanta threating legal action on anyone who cancels their subscription, :eek: they've some neck after that...:D

Setanta raise white flag to SPLBy Paul67 on June 22, 2009 3:36 PM | Permalink | Comments (102)

Setanta have today informed the Scottish Premier League (SPL) that they will be unable to make the outstanding £3m payment for broadcast rights covering the season 2008-09.

The SPL have already served termination notice on Setanta which has now expired, as a result, the future domestic broadcast rights revert to the league. While Setanta go through what appears to be an inevitable collapse with serious consequences for staff and rights holders, customers who attempt to cancel their subscription agreements with immediate effect, due to the loss or broadcast content, have been threatened with legal action.

SPL chairman, Lex Gold, said, "We are now actively engaging in the process of selling our domestic broadcasting rights for next season and beyond."

http://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/2009/06/satanta-raise-white-flag-to-sp.php

• Advertisement

surely there's no way that legal action would make it to court.

can imagine a car salesman taking action over someone who was given a 1.1ltr model when they paid for a 1.4ltr and then wants to return it? surely the same principle should apply, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

surely there's no way that legal action would make it to court.

can imagine a car salesman taking action over someone who was given a 1.1ltr model when they paid for a 1.4ltr and then wants to return it? surely the same principle should apply, no?

Interesting analogy, but it's a not exactly as black and white as that, unfortunately. In their t&c's i'm sure they "don't guarantee any programming and programming is subject to change" yada yada yada.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

ESPN have bought Setanta's 46 games;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8113702.stm

Guess your all just gonna be paying a new carrier now. Massive implications for Sky, ESPN are a serious challenger. DOn't be suprised if they nab something else big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boo!

themont85 wrote: »
    ESPN have bought Setanta's 46 games;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8113702.stm

Guess your all just gonna be paying a new carrier now. Massive implications for Sky, ESPN are a serious challenger. DOn't be suprised if they nab something else big.

very interesting

its a pity sky couldnt buy them

• Advertisement
Advertisement