Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta 'is on brink of collapse'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

ESPN went ahead and bought them all. A few hours both themselves and Sky were going for 23 games each. Great news with another broadcaster stepping in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I may be missing something but why is another pay channel winning great?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

So how do we go about subscribing to ESPN so, Do both Sky and UPC actually carry them at present, I know ESPN America and Classic are on sky but they are hardly going to use those channels for these games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mike65 wrote: »

Because Prem Plus for 80 euro a season wasn't good value for money ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I welcome our new mouse overlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ESPN are on Sky or at least thier Classics station is, certainly not on UPC though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

mike65 wrote: »

Well financially it's good for the clubs involved, especially the lower teams. As a new paying customer I hope they won't charge through the roof, which I doubt they will. Love Ice Hockey too to ESPN will be a great channel to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I, for one, hope the games are screened on ESPN 8 - The Ocho.

espn-8-the-ocho.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Because Prem Plus for 80 euro a season wasn't good value for money ;)
    This looks like it could be a return of a premplus like situation. ESPN say they will be selling the games through sky!

Also, another point to note is that ESPN have also won setanta's 23 game package from 2010-13. I wasnt aware this was part of the rights that they lost, thought it was only next years rights they lost.
    Disney-owned ESPN has won the two packages of games shown on Saturday teatimes and Monday evenings. It says both will be sold through BSkyB.
    It has also won the 23 games per season Setanta was due to show from 2010-13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what's the story with the FA cup rights that setanta have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Setanta still have the Irish rights to those 46 don't they? ESPN would be blocked if Setanta survived, which would be a miracle.

In reality its ESPN and major news in the UK and probably here too.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Disney-owned ESPN.

They'll only be showing the Micky Mouse games.

I'm not bothering to subscribe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Des wrote: »
    They'll only be showing the Micky Mouse games.

I'm not bothering to subscribe.

V. funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm confused.

So who has the Irish rights next season? Setanta, a new package of ESPN channels, or sky

Yes, correct.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    This looks like it could be a return of a premplus like situation. ESPN say they will be selling the games through sky!

Also, another point to note is that ESPN have also won setanta's 23 game package from 2010-13. I wasnt aware this was part of the rights that they lost, thought it was only next years rights they lost.

ESPN actually won those rights for 2010-2013 a couple of months back, they outbid Setanta.
    Setanta still have the Irish rights to those 46 don't they? ESPN would be blocked if Setanta survived, which would be a miracle.

In reality its ESPN and major news in the UK and probably here too.

Nope, the only package they have left for ROI for next season is the 32 3pm games which more than likely will now be shown on Setanta Ireland as that looks like been the only channel that is making money for them. I didnt realise that that part of the company is run separately for the rest of the Setanta channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Nope, the only package they have left for ROI for next season is the 32 3pm games which more than likely will now be shown on Setanta Ireland as that looks like been the only channel that is making money for them. I didnt realise that that part of the company is run separately for the rest of the Setanta channels.

Are you sure they still have the 3pm games?

automaticflare posted this in the broadcasting forum

"dont know if this was covered but i was on the phone to setanta today and all premier league rights for UK and Ireland are defo gone for next season. US and Canada seem to be seprate. So i reckon anyone who paid for subscription should cancel asap....... cos there will be not footy on there next season"

Are you sure they still have the 3pm games?

automaticflare posted this in the broadcasting forum

"dont know if this was covered but i was on the phone to setanta today and all premier league rights for UK and Ireland are defo gone for next season. US and Canada seem to be seprate. So i reckon anyone who paid for subscription should cancel asap....... cos there will be not footy on there next season"

Well I guess no one knows for certain, but in all the news reports about this, they all refer to the 46 games where as they actually had 78 games in ROI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

All this Setanta/Sky/ESPN business..

*hugs sopcast*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Unless they have missed a scheduled payment for the rights to show Saturday 3pm games in Ireland then they will still be showing them next season (as long as they are still broadcasting). Those rights were paid for separately from the UK broadcast deals, and are part of the international broadcast rights.

North American rights are like the Irish rights, separate from those related to UK broadcast, and will continue based on maintaining their payment schedule.

I hope that clears some of it up.

[edit]chopped the UK stuff as I missed a lot of the posts above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

can someone make this very easy for me, and tell me what games I will be able to get with a sky subscription, and with a basic ntl subscription?

can someone make this very easy for me, and tell me what games I will be able to get with a sky subscription, and with a basic ntl subscription?

Season 2009/10

Sky Sports have four packages (early kick off Saturday plus Sunday games) available as subscription service on all platforms.

ESPN have two packages (Saturday evening and Monday night) totalling 46 games, should be available as add-on with Sky Digital, not sure about UPC

Basic UPC sub will give you Setanta Ireland, which will likely have Saturday 3pm games.

Season 2010/11

Sky Sports will have five packages (all bar Saturday evening) totalling 115 games

ESPN will have one package, 23 games on Saturday evening.

Basic UPC sub will give Setanta Ireland, same as above.

Also, the BBC will have rights to highlights (MOTD + MOTD2) up to the end of season 2012/13

Unless they have missed a scheduled payment for the rights to show Saturday 3pm games in Ireland then they will still be showing them next season (as long as they are still broadcasting). Those rights were paid for separately from the UK broadcast deals, and are part of the international broadcast rights.

North American rights are like the Irish rights, separate from those related to UK broadcast, and will continue based on maintaining their payment schedule.

I hope that clears some of it up.

[edit]chopped the UK stuff as I missed a lot of the posts above

Do you think if Setanta Ireland survives it will go FTA?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Let's not forget that the SPL games are up for grabs now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

This is a very interesting day. For years there has been rumours about ESPN increasing their presence in Britain and starting to bid for Premiership rights. Well it's finally happened and if there is a firesale of Setanta rights then ESPN may quickly become a pretty big fish. They could start next season with the 46 premiership games, England and FA Cup games as well as boxing and UFC.

Plus the UK NFL rights are up for grabs and ESPN may outbid Sky for them and add NBA games and Serie A. So if they put the subscription at about a tenner it would no doubt interest a lot of people. And unlike Setanta, ESPN has financial resources to play the long game and slowly attract customers before really competing with Sky for the next round of Premier League rights in a couple of years time.

Very interesting times ahead.

byte

Do you think if Setanta Ireland survives it will go FTA?
    Highly unlikely, due to their agreement with UPC, and the fact it's very unlikely that FAPL would be happy with a FTA channel airing live 3pm football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

So Setanta Ireland must have paid the Primula league on time for their rights?

:confused:

byte wrote: »
    Highly unlikely, due to their agreement with UPC, and the fact it's very unlikely that FAPL would be happy with a FTA channel airing live 3pm football.

Is there any way they could make it freely available to Irish viewers only?

dooferoaks wrote: »
    So Setanta Ireland must have paid the Primula league on time for their rights?

:confused:

Nobody knows for certain, I'd be surprised if that payment amounts to a whole lot tbh, and it may be on a different payment schedule.

• Advertisement
    byte

Is there any way they could make it freely available to Irish viewers only?
    Yeah. They'd stay as is on UPC.

On Sky, they've a few options (seperate Pay channel, or part of a Sky subscription), any of which can make the available to RoI Sky subscribers only.

If they go ahead with the rest of their consortium to launch PayTV on DTT, that's also an option. Unlikely, but possible.

***This is assuming Setanta Ireland remains intact, which is what's believed atm***

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

JeanClaude wrote: »
    Interesting analogy, but it's a not exactly as black and white as that, unfortunately. In their t&c's i'm sure they "don't guarantee any programming and programming is subject to change" yada yada yada.:)

Seems clear enough.

) If we reduce or vary significantly the total amount of programmes available on the Channels within, or the level of service of, your chosen Option, or change the terms and conditions to your detriment, you may end this Contract by giving us a minimum of one month’s written notice within 30 days of the change in programmes or level of service or terms and conditions as applicable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0622/setantacup.html
    Setanta Cup future is in doubt
    Monday, 22 June 2009 17:43

The future of the Setanta Sports Cup may be in question following the postponement of the draw for next season's competition.

The draw had been due to take place in Dublin on Thursday 25 June, but in a statement released on behalf of the FAI, IFA and Setanta, it was revealed that the draw would not take place as planned.

The statement read: 'The FAI and the IFA today (22 June) agreed with Setanta Sports to postpone the draw of the 2009 Setanta Sports Cup, scheduled to take place on Thursday 2 June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I would pay €7-8 a month to Setanta for the Saturday 3pm games, if they charge anymore than that I will cancel my subscription

CiaranC wrote: »

I had a feeling that would happen, and it is a blow to the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

At least some of ESPN's Premier League games will be broadcast in HD.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a161529/espn-to-air-premier-league-in-hd.html
    "ESPN is pleased to announce that it will broadcast a selection of games from the 2009/10 – 12/13 Premier League seasons live and in high definition," the broadcaster confirmed.

At least some of ESPN's Premier League games will be broadcast in HD.

You'll probably need a sky hd sub though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/gallery/2009/jun/17/setanta-gallery?picture=349004127

martin_nicholson-426.jpg

mat_owen-995.jpg
    "To some he is the face of football. To others he is the Lynam curse. Setanta should have used Dickie Davies in their ads," whispers Mat Owen

joe_richardson-16.jpg

frank_streicher-202.jpg

david_smith-nicholl-9264.jpg

:D

great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Who cares as long as Special 1 TV survives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Aquos76 wrote: »

I don't think thats true. I'm fairly certain the Irish rights are entirely serperate to the UK ones. Yes we have the 3pm package of games which makes it 7 rather than 6 packages here. Its just that Sky/Setanta mirror the packages they buy in the UK. I'm fairly certain last time the Irish rights were announced with after along with the international ones. In reality ESPN will pick these rights up if i'm correct because there would be no point in Setanta continuing to show them with costs/ESPN incredibly difficult to black out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I can see ESPN picking up a lot of the Setanta infrastructure for showing the PL. They already have a (very good) channel on the Setanta package and there was rumoured to be a deal to take over Setanta last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

themont85 wrote: »
    there would be no point in Setanta continuing to show them with costs

If they do have the rights to all of those games and Setanta Ireland continues to broadcast then expect lots more of Dempsey and his sidekick. Alternatively they could also use the feed that is provided by the Premier League which has its own commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Boggles wrote: »
    :eek:

Send a registered letter giving them 30 days notice, cancel the DD 1 minute past the 30 days.

Included this in my email that I sent?
    If they dont reply can I go ahead and cancel DD anyway ?
    I wont end up in court will I

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    If they do have the rights to all of those games and Setanta Ireland continues to broadcast then expect lots more of Dempsey and his sidekick. Alternatively they could also use the feed that is provided by the Premier League which has its own commentators.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0622/1224249263749.html

"This comprised mirror rights for the 46 matches that Setanta secured for Britain and 33 games that it could broadcast in Ireland only on Saturday afternoons. The Irish rights are expected to be put up for grabs in the next fortnight."

Sounds like they will lose the saturday 3pm matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

who's gonna show the s p hell games now????

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

poindexter wrote: »
    who's gonna show the s p hell games now????

We could have a whip around and buy the rights,the re sell them to some Asian country as 'British football' they will never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0622/1224249263749.html

"This comprised mirror rights for the 46 matches that Setanta secured for Britain and 33 games that it could broadcast in Ireland only on Saturday afternoons. The Irish rights are expected to be put up for grabs in the next fortnight."

Sounds like they will lose the saturday 3pm matches.

There used to be 3pm matches on RTE a few years ago?
    Are these the same rights?

Who, besides the Irish terrestrial stations could go for these rights?
    If sky or espn wanted to get these rights aswell then they would have to do an irish only channel, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheTubes wrote: »

If sky or espn wanted to get these rights aswell then they would have to do an irish only channel, no?

Same rights, RTE had they along with Setanta at the time, Setanta went solo with them the following season.

Would love to them go to a station that I already get with my Sky Package, though I reckon the FPO would not be best impressed!:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

TheTubes wrote: »

There is legislation in the UK prohibiting games been showing at 15:00 on a Saturday.A couple of years ago someone in the Premiership office coped on that Ireland was not part of the UK and as such there was nothing stopping them from selling another package.

This caused a bit of a storm in the Premiership office as they were losing out on a valuable extra revenue stream for years.

The first deal was 50/50 between Setanta & RTE,you will remember one Sat it was on RTE the next it was on Setanta.Then in the second deal Setanta got the package on its own.

Don't worry if Setanta Ireland went bust somebody would hover up those Irish 15:00 games.Technically Sky could do it by just setting up a Sky Ireland channel but I am not sure if they would be interested as its a bit of a niche market.

Advertisement