Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta 'is on brink of collapse'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sky show Soccer Saturday on both SSN, and SS1; could they use one of them to show the game, and block it to UK users (in the exact same way that some E4 programs are blocked to us)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

poindexter wrote: »
    who's gonna show the s p hell games now????

Meh; its muck anyway unless your a Celtic/Rangers head, you could always go to a LOI game:eek:
    Take out the Celtic and the Rangers its much the same standard
    Actually LOI is probably a better standard (not saying much:D) than 80-90% of scottish teams

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Sky show Soccer Saturday on both SSN, and SS1; could they use one of them to show the game, and block it to UK users (in the exact same way that some E4 programs are blocked to us)?

There is a snowballs chance in hell that sky will blog their two flagship sports channels for a couple of hours so a handful of paddy's can watch a 3pm match!

spockety wrote: »
    There is a snowballs chance in hell that sky will blog their two flagship sports channels for a couple of hours so a handful of paddy's can watch a 3pm match!

I'm not saying block both, i'm saying block one of them. There isn't a need for them to have the same program being played on both stations. Everyone gets SSN (i think) so they could show the game on SS1, blocking nobody from watching Soccer Saturday, if they wished. Don't see why it would be such an issue (for you!!) Setanta Ireland is profitable, apparently, so Sky could seemingly make moiney from it. They don't lose any UK viewers from Soccer Saturday, and any Irish viewers they have would either continue watching soccer saturday or put on the game, so no viewers lost there, but some potentially gained. In fact, the lure of 3pm games on a Saturday (along with all the other games they have) might see some more people subscribe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

spockety wrote: »

They could block the Irish ads version of Sky Sports 1 so UK viewers cannot see them. That way it would be business as usual in the UK and Irish viewers could watch a 3pm game.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying block both, i'm saying block one of them. There isn't a need for them to have the same program being played on both stations. Everyone gets SSN (i think) so they could show the game on SS1, blocking nobody from watching Soccer Saturday, if they wished. Don't see why it would be such an issue (for you!!) Setanta Ireland is profitable, apparently, so Sky could seemingly make moiney from it. They don't lose any UK viewers from Soccer Saturday, and any Irish viewers they have would either continue watching soccer saturday or put on the game, so no viewers lost there, but some potentially gained. In fact, the lure of 3pm games on a Saturday (along with all the other games they have) might see some more people subscribe.

And the British viewers of a British channel complaining that they cant watch games that others can and the tabloid muppets loving it

NON STARTER, bad publicity and it being Britian, vox pops galore, "them paddies getting our football on our stations......, im canceling my subscription"

Not how to run a business!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

elshambo wrote: »
    And the British viewers of a British channel complaining that they cant watch games that others can and the tabloid muppets loving it

We have been watching games for the last two/three years that they couldn't?

We have been watching games for the last two/three years that they couldn't?
    :confused:
    On an Irish channel not on a blocked out english channel during football prime time EVERY WEEK!?

Non runner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

On an Irish channel not on a blocked out english channel during football prime time EVERY WEEK!?

Non runner!

I don't think they would have to block out the channel in the UK. They would just provide the Sky Sports News stream for Sky Sports One in the UK, and then show the match here.

Can't see that being a huge technical challenge.

I don't think they would have to block out the channel in the UK. They would just provide the Sky Sports News stream for Sky Sports One in the UK, and then show the match here.

Can't see that being a huge technical challenge.

I was replying to a guy saying block out the channel, telling him thats a bad idea

as for other options, i was'nt talking about other options

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Dub13 wrote: »
    We could have a whip around and buy the rights,the re sell them to some Asian country as 'British football' they will never know.
    Meh; its muck anyway unless your a Celtic/Rangers head, you could always go to a LOI game:eek:
    Take out the Celtic and the Rangers its much the same standard
    Actually LOI is probably a better standard (not saying much:D) than 80-90% of scottish teams
    YAWN. i gather you're both LOI fans then, it's about time people started supporting teams from their own country after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

setanta now calling in the administrators, and terminating all customer agreements :(

linky

Not entirely unexpected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Officially now in administration!

only themselves to blame really, should have built slowly rather than jumping in with both feet to take on the "big boy" in the playground that is Sky :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

How can this be great news then.
    To now watch all the EPL in Ireland, you have to 1)subscribe to Sky Sports 2) Subscribe to ESPN and 3) Subscribe to Setanta.
    3 subscriptions. I thought the reason Setanta folded was because people wouldn't pay for 2 subscriptons. Also Setanta Ireland cannot be that profitable if it can't afford the Setanta cup, the income of which will be a big loss to LOI clubs. Not too mention the folding of an innovative Irish company and the loss of Irish jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

patmac wrote: »
    How can this be great news then.
    To now watch all the EPL in Ireland, you have to 1)subscribe to Sky Sports 2) Subscribe to ESPN and 3) Subscribe to Setanta.
    3 subscriptions. I thought the reason Setanta folded was because people wouldn't pay for 2 subscriptons. Also Setanta Ireland cannot be that profitable if it can't afford the Setanta cup, the income of which will be a big loss to LOI clubs. Not too mention the folding of an innovative Irish company and the loss of Irish jobs.

The problem i had with them was setanta 1 and 2 breaking up on satellite when there's a drop of rain.

Setanta Ireland never broke up for some reason.

poindexter wrote: »
    YAWN. i gather you're both LOI fans then, it's about time people started supporting teams from their own country after all.

Consumer much?

Whatever floats your boat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Consumer much?

Whatever floats your boat!
    huh?

The problem i had with them was setanta 1 and 2 breaking up on satellite when there's a drop of rain.

Setanta Ireland never broke up for some reason.

That happened because your dish is not alligned correctly. Setanta Ireland broadcast from a different transponder. That is why it didn't break up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    That happened because your dish is not alligned correctly. Setanta Ireland broadcast from a different transponder. That is why it didn't break up.

Funny there was alot of people that only setanta was giving them trouble, maybe they should of used the setanta irelad transponder for setanta 1 and 2.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055133774

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

So how soon before we see them taken off air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Aquos76 wrote: »
    So how soon before we see them taken off air
    "This decision means that it will shortly cease broadcasting to its customers in Britain."

I think thats all the info out so far.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

see thread in broadcasting. sports channels and sports news channel expected to go shortly (today at 6 rumoured)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/23/setanta-goes-into-administration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ah well, that was fun while it lasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

They stop broadcasting at 18.00 today :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Popcorn reading for 5:59PM

Gav Reilly has a good Twitter feed explaining the events as they happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

So now you'll need Sky, ESPN and Setanta to watch all the premier league football.

ro2 wrote: »
    So now you'll need Sky, ESPN and Setanta to watch all the premier league football.

A big well done to the European Union for that scenario.

You won't need Setanta anymore, it appears Setanta North and Setanta Ireland may lose out too. They can't survive on the odd Premier League game alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    You won't need Setanta anymore, it appears Setanta North and Setanta Ireland may lose out too. They can't survive on the odd Premier League game alone.

I think they still have the rights to 3pm football on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Setanta just stopped broadcasting in the UK.

Setanta Ireland are still on though

Setanta's international arm is on the way out, so Setanta Ireland etc. are subject for removal, including rights to EPL games as well as F1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Setanta Sports News gone as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

cant see setanta ireland surviving

"Setanta Sports 1 will continue to broadcast to both the Republic and Northern Ireland, subject to the rights held for each area."

I'll give them 2/3 days.

Neither arm can survive on one weekly Premier League game alone.

200 jobs lost in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Just Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports 1 left now......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Go Rupert you're our man if you can't do it....noone can?

Pity about Setanta, but nobody can compete with 'The Corporation' tbh.

ESPN can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ro2 wrote: »

Not necessarily.
    There are lots of foreign packages that show far more football than those 3 combined with English commentary and for alot less.
    SkY Sports is rubbish when compared to some of the other providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    ESPN can.
    Not if they are in bed with Sky piggy backing on Sky subscriptions.

End result: less competition, consumer pays more, cartel continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Savman wrote: »
    Not if they are in bed with Sky piggy backing on Sky subscriptions.

End result: less competition, consumer pays more, cartel continues.

While Sky get a lot of abuse online, sometimes justified, I have to say that the laws which were passed a few years ago which mean no one could have exclusive rights for all games, it has become far more expensive to watch the PL. At least when sky had all matches you got a hell of a lot more matches for one price, dealing with one provider and could pick and chose the remainder of the matches you wanted to watch via the PPV matches.
    The law was designed to make it cheaper, but its made it far more expensive. Not sure how ESPN are planning on broadcasting the matches they have won but it will be via subscription no doubt, more costs of those wanting to watch matches.

We could well have lost our saturday 3 PM matches via Setanta Ireland also.
    Not good. Setanta really overstretched themselves with the PL rights.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd expect ESPN will be something you'd pay extra for. THey already have this option with the Disney channels (I think they become free with Sky Movies). Hmm, be nice if EPSN was free with Sky Sports...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

byte wrote: »
    I'd expect ESPN will be something you'd pay extra for. THey already have this option with the Disney channels (I think they become free with Sky Movies). Hmm, be nice if EPSN was free with Sky Sports...

Have heard it will be an additional subscription with sky.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=656557&sec=england&cc=5739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I don't understand all this it is more expensive carry on. I subcribed to Setanta for the SPL with the added bonus of some EPL matches. I did not even need to subscribe to the Sky platform or more expensively Sky Sports. It was available without having to pay Sky any money at all.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Have heard it will be an additional subscription with sky.

:(

probably somthing like 15 euro extra

Headshot wrote: »
    :(

probably somthing like 15 euro extra

i'm hoping for less than that. still though, it would be cheaper than setanta at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

i'm hoping for less than that. still though, it would be cheaper than setanta at that price.

+1

I wonder what Arsenal tv are going to do as they have been using Setanta as a platform.

hopefully now

setanta ireland will have to go down on price alot too

It says on the setanta Ireland website that they will still be showing the premier league on Setanta Ireland.

So Espn if they are the new rights holders may not have the rights for Ireland,only the UK.Setanta Ireland probably still holds the rights to those matches in Ireland just not the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

kippy wrote: »
    While Sky get a lot of abuse online, sometimes justified, I have to say that the laws which were passed a few years ago which mean no one could have exclusive rights for all games, it has become far more expensive to watch the PL. At least when sky had all matches you got a hell of a lot more matches for one price, dealing with one provider and could pick and chose the remainder of the matches you wanted to watch via the PPV matches.
    The law was designed to make it cheaper, but its made it far more expensive. Not sure how ESPN are planning on broadcasting the matches they have won but it will be via subscription no doubt, more costs of those wanting to watch matches.

We could well have lost our saturday 3 PM matches via Setanta Ireland also.
    Not good. Setanta really overstretched themselves with the PL rights.

True the law was designed under the guise of 'competition'. BS tbh, all it made was comptetion for exclusive rights to each package, it has worked wonders for Sky 'losing' two packages is cheaper whilst keeping the big games and subs. Who pays for the inflated rights fees? We do. Sky subs haven't gone down since Setana, Setanas were high enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement