Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta 'is on brink of collapse'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

themont85 wrote: »
    Sky subs haven't gone down since Setana, Setanas were high enough.

Sky have been showing more live games over the last few seasons than they ever have before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

It says on the setanta Ireland website that they will still be showing the premier league on Setanta Ireland.

So Espn if they are the new rights holders may not have the rights for Ireland,only the UK.Setanta Ireland probably still holds the rights to those matches in Ireland just not the UK.

That only relates to the 15:00 match on a saturday, I dare say we will be able to get ESPN via the Sky Digital platform or NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think the EU misunderstood what competition was.

Different companies offering comparable goods to customers.

NOT different companies offering exclusively different parts of the same good to customers.

They should have mandated that each package would be won by two different companies.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    That only relates to the 15:00 match on a saturday, I dare say we will be able to get ESPN via the Sky Digital platform or NTL.

It might not,I dont see why they couldnt keep the games for the Irish market.I would say they will try to anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

astrofool wrote: »
    I think the EU misunderstood what competition was.

Different companies offering comparable goods to customers.

NOT different companies offering exclusively different parts of the same good to customers.

They should have mandated that each package would be won by two different companies.

And not even the same good, Wigan V Chelsea against Man Utd V Chelsea is hardly comparable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

It might not,I dont see why they couldnt keep the games for the Irish market.I would say they will try to anyway.
    But if the company is wound up by the administrators, they wont be kept on air.

So how will that work? i.e. are you suggesting that Setanta Ireland would have a Sat 17:15 match and Monday night match, that simply is not going to happen.

Setanta Ireland will be able to show the 15:00 Saturday match and that is all, how can Setanta Ireland keep the same rights as last season, Setanta UK are in administration. ESPN now have the rights for the additional matches.

So how will that work? i.e. are you suggesting that Setanta Ireland would have a Sat 17:15 match and Monday night match, that simply is not going to happen.

Setanta Ireland will be able to show the 15:00 Saturday match and that is all, how can Setanta Ireland keep the same rights as last season, Setanta UK are in administration.

Ye thats the point Setanta UK, there's a difference in the rights holders. Setanta and Sky mirror what they do in the UK here. Irish rights are seperate.

It probably won't happen but I do believe that Setanta currently hold 3 packages of rights in Ireland to Sky's 4.

Ye thats the point Setanta UK, there's a difference in the rights holders. Setanta and Sky mirror what they do in the UK here. Irish rights are seperate.

It probably won't happen but I do believe that Setanta currently hold 3 packages of rights in Ireland to Sky's 4.

Can you explain in practice how this would work, are you suggesting that Setanta will show more than one match at 15:00, or will they mirror ESPN matches or Sky Sports matches? :confused: They may have a seperate rights package but Setnta Ireland won't be able to move matches. i.e. they won't be able to get get Arsenal to move there match from a Saturday 15:00 to a different time/day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That's how I understand it too.

byte wrote: »

So will they mirror ESPN matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,461 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i think you are both wrong. From what i have read over the last few days - setanta owned the 40+ games for the UK, also shown here as sky sports ones are, and, separately, the 32 3PM kick offs they could show on Setanta Ireland.

The lost the two UK packages, so only have the rights for the 3pm kickoffs, nothing else.

byte

i think you are both wrong. From what i have read over the last few days - setanta owned the 40+ games for the UK, also shown here as sky sports ones are, and, separately, the 32 3PM kick offs they could show on Setanta Ireland.

The lost the two UK packages, so only have the rights for the 3pm kickoffs, nothing else.
    IT wrote:
    If Setanta is placed into administration, the Irish business will fall under the control of Deloitte. The Irish channel held rights to 79 live Premier League games in England for the coming season.

This comprised mirror rights for the 46 matches that Setanta secured for Britain and 33 games that it could broadcast in Ireland only on Saturday afternoons. The Irish rights are expected to be put up for grabs in the next fortnight.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0622/1224249263749.html

Irish rights and UK rights are seperate. It's just that Sky and Setanta bought the Irish rights that mirrored their UK rights, as well as the extra package that Setanta took for 3pm games (obviously these aren't available in UK).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

my head is starting to get wrecked

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Our-Sports/

This is the Setanta.com Ireland page. Setanta were very quick to dump any mention of their 46 games from their UK site when they lost them on their advertising page. False advertising and all that.

I'm convinced that the Irish rights are seperate, I remember that i think it was 2003 they were seperated and vividly remember a news announcment months after the Uk one 2006 with details of the Irish rights been the same as in England barring the extra 3pm deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Correct.

Irish rights and UK rights are seperate. It's just that Sky and Setanta bought the Irish rights that mirrored their UK rights, as well as the extra package that Setanta took for 3pm games (obviously these aren't available in UK).

thanks, i've been looking for news announcments from back then ect or a page detailing it but all i found was a wiki page(not exactly reliable).

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Our-Sports/

This is the Setanta.com Ireland page. Setanta were very quick to dump any mention of their 46 games from their UK site when they lost them on their advertising page. False advertising and all that.

I'm convinced that the Irish rights are seperate, I remember that i think it was 2003 they were seperated and vividly remember a news announcment months after the Uk one 2006 with details of the Irish rights been the same as in England barring the extra 3pm deal.

I dunno, that still says they have the golf too and my golf channel is off the air.

byte

if the Times are to be believed, it's all moot anyway, as all Irish rights go up for grabs in the next few weeks.

By that reckoning, it would sound like FAPL have severed all ties with Setanta, including the Irish arm. Then again, Setanta Ireland isn't exactly the same company? Gah, it's a bit of a headwreck the whole thing! :D

I need caffeine.

Again,can someone explain how would this seperate Irish package deal work in practice?

• Advertisement
    byte

Again,can someone explain how would this seperate Irish package deal work in practice?
    Well, I guess Setanta would show their 3 packages here exclusively, and ESPN woudl be blocked out for those games here.

currently I still have setanta ireland and sports1.
    In the Uk I believe 1 has gone off the air.

They'd put all their matches on those 2 channels, or even on setanta ireland only. There are no clashes, but they would have to drop other sports.

Well, I guess Setanta would show their 3 packages here exclusively, and ESPN woudl be blocked out for those games here.

So you are saying Setanta would have 3 packages here in Ireland, how will this work in practice? i.e. will they mirror the ESPN matches?

somthing like what happens channel 4

copacetic wrote: »
    currently I still have setanta ireland and sports1.
    In the Uk I believe 1 has gone off the air.

They'd put all their matches on those 2 channels, or even on setanta ireland only. There are no clashes, but they would have to drop other sports.

This is starting to wreck my head, nothing personal lads :D but how is this going to work? Are you guys cvlaiming they will show the same matches as ESPN?

This is starting to wreck my head, nothing personal lads :D but how is this going to work? Are you guys cvlaiming they will show the same matches as ESPN?

I'm not saying they will, but they could and espn would have to block Irish sky viewers which would be easy.

byte

Headshot wrote:
    somthing like what happens channel 4
    Yeah.

@Openroad: presuming Setanta Ireland keeps all the rights it does/did have, they will show the same matches as ESPN (but the ESPN matches would be blocked here).

Since all the focus is on Setanta UK atm, I guess it'll be a few days before we know the future of Setanta Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Yeah.

@Openroad: presuming Setanta Ireland keeps all the rights it does/did have, they will show the same matches as ESPN (but the ESPN matches would be blocked here).

Since all the focus is on Setanta UK atm, I guess it'll be a few days before we know the future of Setanta Ireland.

That could be a disaster for us if ESPN was completely blocked here because Setanta Ireland had the same EPL rights. For instance, the UK NFL rights for next year have not been decided and there is an outside chance that ESPN could take them away from SKY. I'd be gutted if they did and ESPN was blocked here.

And ESPN could pick up loads of different rights from UFC to the PGA. Surely it would be crazy for them to block us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

The Irish rights are seperate.

It's not that difficult to understand. In Ireland at the moment (until the end of next season, Setanta had 3 packages, and Sky had 4.

For the following 3 seasons, Setanta IRELAND (if it has the money) could potentially bid and win the same 3 packages in Ireland for 2010-2013. They could buy even more packages (if they had the money). Now, allow me to say that this seems very unlikely - Setanta Ireland may not even survive as a channel.

All of this has absolutely nothing to do with the UK rights, which now belong to ESPN. It's a seperate auction which has yet to happen. If Setanta Ireland goes bust, then ESPN will probably also snap up all the packages for here, both for next season and the following three.

byte

That could be a disaster for us if ESPN was completely blocked here because Setanta Ireland had the same EPL rights. For instance, the UK NFL rights for next year have not been decided and there is an outside chance that ESPN could take them away from SKY. I'd be gutted if they did and ESPN was blocked here.

And ESPN could pick up loads of different rights from UFC to the PGA. Surely it would be crazy for them to block us?
    I really meant that ESPN would be blocked during the football games that conflicted with Setanta. Available for other events.

But, it's all guesswork atm until we're certain of the future of Setanta Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not sure of the contractual/legal ins and outs of the various deals that the PL have with the various broadcasters but I assume (didnt earlier but from reading a bit since) that the Setanta Ireland has a deal with sky to broadcast a number of Saturday 15:00 kick offs in Ireland only and this deal is separate to whatever the UK entity has. I assume this deal can be continued once the Irish arm pays up (which they may have done already)
    The PL already has lots and lots of deals with broadcasters to broadcast matches OUTSIDE of the UK to foreign audiences, it's one of the reasons that you can pick up PL matches live on various satellite channels, some free, some which you need to buy a separate viewing card for.
    I believe that Sky and ESPN packages are for broadcasting the games within the UK. Not sure if those two broadcasters can and do resell to other broadcasters (via highlights packages) or otherwise, or even if it is them that resell to foreign stations for broadcast to foreign viewers.
    All I know is the PL have been getting a larger and larger piece of the pie once setanta came on board and that there is a very large worldwide demand for viewing games, the vast majority of which are absolute cack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

kippy wrote: »
    All I know is the PL have been getting a larger and larger piece of the pie once setanta came on board and that there is a very large worldwide demand for viewing games, the vast majority of which are absolute cack.

lol, very true. There was a time when some foreign fan clubs (or ones of ex-pats) would gather together in a room and sit for the whole 90 minutes of the game watching for the score on teletext.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

lol, very true. There was a time when some foreign fan clubs (or ones of ex-pats) would gather together in a room and sit for the whole 90 minutes of the game watching for the score on teletext.
    Yeah, we're a long way from that nowadays but hell do we pay for it.
    I remember doing that when it was the First division and we had no "English" channels at home. RTE 1 and 2 were where it was at with the teletext being the precursor to "soccer saturday".
    lol

6ix wrote: »
    The Irish rights are seperate.

It's not that difficult to understand. In Ireland at the moment (until the end of next season, Setanta had 3 packages, and Sky had 4.

For the following 3 seasons, Setanta IRELAND (if it has the money) could potentially bid and win the same 3 packages in Ireland for 2010-2013. They could buy even more packages (if they had the money). Now, allow me to say that this seems very unlikely - Setanta Ireland may not even survive as a channel.

All of this has absolutely nothing to do with the UK rights, which now belong to ESPN. It's a seperate auction which has yet to happen. If Setanta Ireland goes bust, then ESPN will probably also snap up all the packages for here, both for next season and the following three.

Setanta Ireland will have no choice as to which match they can show apart from the 15:00 saturday match, they will have to go with the ESPN match.

Having spoken to Setanta today, they have also told me that I can cancel my 12 month contract with them as the package I signed up to is differnt from the current package.

Reading the Irish times article

The Irish rights are expected to be put up for grabs in the next fortnight.

Although Setanta Irelands website seems to say that they will show premiership games, hard to know at the moment suppose things will become clear over the next few days.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Reading the Irish times article

The Irish rights are expected to be put up for grabs in the next fortnight.

nice

Well they can just block certain programmes out if needs be like Setanta do with GAA games or have an entirely different schedule in Ireland.

If its true the Irish rights are up for grabs in the next forthnight expect Sky/ESPN to take the same packages they have in the UK. The only question would be who would show the 3pm games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Anybody receive the following letter from Setanta.

"Dear DonJose

Account Number: 1234567

We hope you are enjoyiny your viewing of the Setanta Sports premium sports package.
    We recently approached your bank for your latest subscription payment unfortunately your bank has returned the request as unpaid. We appreciate that this may be an oversight on your part and would ask that you contact our customer services team within 7 days of this letter date to clear the outstanding balance over the telephone, alternatively we will try and collect the payment again, by the same method, within 10 days of this communication....."

I have tried to cancel my subscription with Setanta via telephone, I was given the run around by Setanta and told I would have to email setanta my cancelation, I emailed twice without reply.

However I did not contact my bank, my bank seems to have stopped the monthly payments themselves. I bank with AIB and I signed up to Setanta using my Visa credit card over 10 months. Could it be the bank/credit card issuer is stopping any payments because Setanta is now in administration?

ESPN has won the rights to broadcast 46 Premier League football matches in Ireland next season.

The American broadcaster, which is owned by the Walt Disney company, will show all the games previously due to be shown on Setanta Sports, whose British division fell into administration last month.

ESPN has already won the rights previously held by Setanta to broadcast the same 46 Premier League games in the UK.

Richard Scudamore, the Premier League’s chief executive, said ESPN had a formidable worldwide reputation and that the league had great confidence in its ability to provide football fans with first-rate coverage and programming. The news comes a day after ESPN announced it would launch a new channel in the UK to show its football coverage, which will be carried on BSkyB, which is 39.1 per cent owned by News Corporation, the parent company of The Times.

The group is keen to expand internationally and is believed to be looking at other rights packages held by Setanta, which include US PGA golf in America and Indian Premier League cricket.

Setanta went off air in the UK in late June after a six-month struggle to raise cash. Deloitte has taken over as administrator and is essentially charged with winding up its UK division and selling off its Irish and international units.

bye bye setanta ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Headshot wrote: »

bye bye setanta ireland

So does this mean were going to get free matches on saturday at 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

bye bye setanta ireland

OK,
    My understanding of your article is that it isn't referring to the 3PM Saturday games, which currently Setanta Ireland are still in possession of (in this country).

The 46 games it is referring to are the two packages of 5PM Saturday and 8PM Monday games which Setanta UK failed to maintain payments for and which were reauctioned to ESPN. ESPN now have permission to beam these into Ireland and charge accordingly.

So in theory nothing has really changed for Setanta Ireland 3PM Saturday games. Though its obviously dependant on if a) Setanta IRL survives and b) has maintained its payments for these 3PM games. If a) is true then b) almost certainly is as this package is cheap as chips.

joe123 wrote: »
    So does this mean were going to get free matches on saturday at 3?

:)
    Nothing is free in this world. Edit just looking at armani's post,now i dont know what to think

Byte might know more

b) almost certainly is as this package is cheap as chips.

It would want to be imo, they are currently offering 5 euro per month for the next three months and to be honest if they charge much more than that I will cancel my package with them, the saturady 15:00 game wouldn't be a huge loss for me as I enjoy watching sky sports soccer and bbc score interactive on Saturdays.

:)
    Nothing is free in this world,espn probably own those rights too

I wonder how much espn will cost,its going to be very interesting

I think it is an extra £9 per month in the UK, so would hope it will be similar here.

I think it is an extra £9 per month in the UK, so would hope it will be similar here.

9 pounds thats what around 11 euro and then theres vat, so it wouldnt surprise me to see a figure of 15 euro .this is rip off ireland after all

• Advertisement

9 pounds thats what around 11 euro and then theres vat, so it wouldnt surprise me to see a figure of 15 euro .this is rip off ireland after all

Probably right which was what I was paying for Setanta per month over the last few months.

Will be interesting to see what additional shows ESPN will show for instance setanta had Football Matters after the Monday night game which was actually ok.

the times today said €10 if you have sky sports, €14 if not. Page 3 of sport section, I'm sure it's online too. Title was espn to lauch new channel or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Probably right which was what I was paying for Setanta per month over the last few months.

Will be interesting to see what additional shows ESPN will show for instance setanta had Football Matters after the Monday night game which was actually ok.

If they could start to show the NBA and NFL along with the current shows they have on ESPN America (MLB, NHL, College Basketball and Football along with their opinion shows like PTI and Around the Horn) then I would be over the moon and would definately pick it up. Would also like to see them show the SPL as I don't think the family would go for it as they're mainly Celtic fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Are setanta offering a cheaper price yet to customers to stay with them or are we still paying full whack?

Interested to see if people have cancelled or are waiting to see what they offer?

cobijones wrote: »
    Are setanta offering a cheaper price yet to customers to stay with them or are we still paying full whack?

Interested to see if people have cancelled or are waiting to see what they offer?

Was offered 5 euro per month for the next three months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement