Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Prawns

Options
  • 09-06-2009 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

after years of having a psychological aversion to prawns i ate one last november as a dare. i now love them! i love cooking but because of the aforementioned aversion i have never cooked anything with them in it. as its my new faviourite food i want to start making foods containing prawns. have downloaded lots of recipes.

my questions is: if you have fresh uncooked prawns and are adding them to say a stirfry, how long do they take to cook? how do you know when they are cooked? is it better to leave some of the tail on them when cooking (had them done like this in Saba, Dublin)? where's the best place to get them in South County Dublin?

am afraid of killing myself (and others who partake in my food!) so need to know the basics essentially!

many thanks
    N

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

toodelies wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

after years of having a psychological aversion to prawns i ate one last november as a dare. i now love them! i love cooking but because of the aforementioned aversion i have never cooked anything with them in it. as its my new faviourite food i want to start making foods containing prawns. have downloaded lots of recipes.

my questions is: if you have fresh uncooked prawns and are adding them to say a stirfry, how long do they take to cook? how do you know when they are cooked? is it better to leave some of the tail on them when cooking (had them done like this in Saba, Dublin)? where's the best place to get them in South County Dublin?

am afraid of killing myself (and others who partake in my food!) so need to know the basics essentially!

many thanks
    N
    Are you talking about Irish Prawns (Nephrops) which are pink coloured and have claws and a hard shell like a mini lobster,
    OR are you talking about the Prawns which are like giant shrimp?
    The two need cooking differently.

If you are cooking with Irish Prawns (Nephrops) you should bring your water to the boil (a little salt is good) and put the prawns in.
    Wait till the water comes back to the boil and remove and stick them in Ice cold water straight away, Then peel and use.

The giant shrimp-like prawns cook more quickly, tails will be cooked in a stirfry in 2-3 mins depending on what heat you are using.
    Tails cook quicker than whole prawns, but if you precook them they can be thrown in just to warm and then serve, tails look better but it is personal taste. I think they are handy to hold as you peel them.

Advertisement