Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A favour please?!?! Convert an AI file to PDF

Options
  • 09-06-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi all

Sorry to be cheeky but I'm completely stumped. I need to convert a very small AI file into PDF. I tried downloading a conversion program but it has me beat.

Is there anyone who could do me a favour and convert it for me?

Thanks.

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭r0qi4162fux9kg

Dub6Kevin wrote: »
    Hi all

Sorry to be cheeky but I'm completely stumped. I need to convert a very small AI file into PDF. I tried downloading a conversion program but it has me beat.

Thanks.

K

Don't use AI that often and not infront of my mac at the moment but have you tried clicking Save as, then documentname.pdf?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dub6Kevin

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

I take it you don't have access to Illustrator?

Jam it over to me and i'll do it for you. Check your PM for email address.

Sorry must of misread the Q. Didn't realise that you don't have Illustrator

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dub6Kevin

No.

I got the file as an attachment and so it isn't giving me the option to "save as".

Any other help welcome!

K

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You need a machine with Illustrator to convert it. You could go through the pain and bandwidth to download the free trial of Illustrator so I would PM Chochese or myself and one of us will do it for you.

Not really sure. You could take chochese up on his offer or ask who ever sent it to make sure the save they check "Create PDF Compatible File" when saving. You could also try Gimp, its basically a free lesser version of photoshop (www.gimp.org). They have loads of plug-ins available.

Haven't used Gimp in years so im not a 100% sure but probably worth ago.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

GIMP won't open AI files. Also GIMP is raster based. An Alternative to AI is Inkscape.
    (But that won't open AI or even eps files)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

send it to someone with illy (best option) or else use upload it to adobe.com, you can create a few pdfs for free (from any file format) - this is the second best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

Well even if someone does open it, the chances are you may not have the fonts, so making a pdf without the fonts is practically useless.

Why do you need a PDF of the document? What are you going to use it for? What program do you want to be able to open it in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

do you need it to be high res? if you have photoshop you could drag it in there and save as photoshop pdf, wouldnt be great quality though.
    :)

still need the fonts though

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

If it only has to be converted to a PDF the font issue shouldn't be a problem, as long as it's not being edited. If it's opened in Photoshop it'll render the text as outlined raster data. It won't be editable but the style of the type will be preserved.

If you do open it in photoshop - please don't - it will ask you for a resolution, if it has type in it make sure you have at least 1200 dpi for your setting.

From here on the text will not be editable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hickey

Dub6Kevin wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks.

K

Can you not just open it through acrobat and save as, change .ai to .pdf has worked for me in the past.

Advertisement