Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge John Nielan

Options
  • 09-06-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭

What a funny fecker this guy is. I love opening the Advertiser on a Friday and hearing the latest case he has.

On teh one hand, i generally say "peoper order" when i hear him dish out to the scumbags of this world, but i must say that he does bend the law to suit himself sometimes.

Still, entertainment guaranteed. I hear the solicitors in town think hes a disaster!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

What a funny fecker this guy is. I love opening the Advertiser on a Friday and hearing the latest case he has.

On teh one hand, i generally say "peoper order" when i hear him dish out to the scumbags of this world, but i must say that he does bend the law to suit himself sometimes.

Still, entertainment guaranteed. I hear the solicitors in town think hes a disaster!
    any examples of why?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I think he's the dogs bollox honestly. He doesn't take **** from scumbags, demands order and respect in his courtroom, so fair ball to him. There's too many soft judges out there, with the "ah sure, slap him on the wrist, sure he's had a hard life" attitude. I wonder if the solicitors just aren't happy that they have to work to get their client off :P

At the same time, I wouldn't want to be up in front of him for a driving offence or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

I like this guy. What we should do is round up all the knackers and put them on an island somewhere. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

wasnt his son or daughter killed by a drunk.thats why he is a hard ass on driving offences.rightly so

• Advertisement

demakinz wrote: »
    wasnt his son or daughter killed by a drunk.thats why he is a hard ass on driving offences.rightly so

I don't know about that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

I appeared as a witness for the prosecution in a case. I entered the witness kiosk in the courtroom and he lifted out of it me for taking the Bible up in my hand and not waiting for it to be handed to me.

The court clerk had nodded towards it for me to take up but as you all know it would of been suicide to defend my action to him.

In my opinion he is a good man but eventually he alienates most people who have to work within the court system. I've seen him eat "supers" and solicitors etc and as good as it is to be fearless isolating oneself makes you less effective in the long run.

The stories are legendary and they are only the ones that make the national print..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 pip-irl

yeah thats true. Also why he wanst to make bar clsoing times earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

This man is a legend.

I love about his cases in the paper. They are very amusing.

He told one lad last week to put his hood down and your man asked him did he want him to strip. Judge John remanded him in custody! Woo!

Don't know about that, I had the impression he is a recovered alcholic.

• Advertisement

I once seen the judge sentence a knacker to life in prison, just for being a knacker. The judge was banging his gavel like crazy shouting at the top of his lungs "I sentence you to go to hell"

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

Haha,r ye sure that wasnt Judge Judy! lol

Haha,r ye sure that wasnt Judge Judy! lol

Could of been they both look like dudes !!

lmao, cant argue with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 yaboyabobo

I have read some of this mans cases and there seems to be inconsistencies in some of his decisions.

How do you mean by 'inconsistencies'?

Making things up as he goes along sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 yaboyabobo

Now I have not read about the esteemed judge for a few years but I seem to remember thinking that in some cases,I feel he should have given more severe sentences whereas he seemed very strict on motoring offences.Am I thinking right?

Yeah, he seems to be commin down hard on motoring offences. Poor old Franky Doolan Sr. was in the Papers this week after being stud in front of the judge a few days ago.. Looks like he wont be getting away with this one... Altho the gaurds told mr dolan to get out of the uninsured bus and then called another driver from the company to drive it! haha, The judge might have to give a slap on the wrist to the Garda too for letting a bus be driven uninsured (knowingly)

This should be a good case to watch to see how the judge works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    I think he's the dogs bollox honestly. He doesn't take **** from scumbags, demands order and respect in his courtroom, so fair ball to him. There's too many soft judges out there, with the "ah sure, slap him on the wrist, sure he's had a hard life" attitude. I wonder if the solicitors just aren't happy that they have to work to get their client off :P

At the same time, I wouldn't want to be up in front of him for a driving offence or something.

i wonder is he one of the 19 judges who voluntarily took a cut? from his attitude and in fairness decent cop on with todays world i would be surprised if he either did not already or had not planned to.

in one case against a petrol pump owner, who appeared before him for allegedly employing staff who were u18 after hours (10pm) the judge bemoaned the laws as stupid (not exactly thoose words) he spoke about how young responsible people were trying to earn some pocket money instead of sitting on their backsides (again not exactly in those words). he had also spoken about how when he was younger (think he hails from co roscommon) that he would be up at all hours bringing in the hay as a young fella. i think the employer got off.

he has a habit of making a lot of headlines nationally even people in (lawyers) dublin are aware of him - whether thats a good thing or not. i heard he was allegedly whinging a week weeks back about being stuck in court late one evening when the weather was fine outside - -- oh dear, i am sure he is being well paid for it though

• Advertisement

Ah another hard knock by the Judge.

Reading the paper yesterday and now he is off again on banning people from driving if they dont hand in paper work with 10 days of being stopped - even if the person has insurance, tax, nct & of course a licence.

Does anyone know if he can actually do this? Because from what I read you are intitiled to produce your documents up until the day before a court case (if you were summonsed that is)

I know a judge can have the final say, but are judges allowed go beyond the laws set in place?

It kinda boggles me that laws are put in place and that judges can change it from their courtroom seat.

What happens if you genuinly do forget to produce you documents at a garda station within 10 days. Say your not even in the county, maybe on holidays or something. And when you get home you find you have a court summons or even worse you have been banned from driving for a year. That could really effect people in a very hard way. The majority of working people rely on their licence to be able to drive to work and many peoples work depends on their licence like self employed people who use a van or deliver people or van sales people etc etc.

Just thought I would ask other people views.

And yes we all know that they should have been displaying the proper dics in their vehicle window. But for those people who were telling the truth when they say 'it's in the post' or 'I just bought the car' are the ones who I am talking about, for the guys who didnt have the proper documents to begin with.... let the face the judge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

humm... for some reason 10 days rings a bell with me for having to produce documents (not that I've had to). Just from friends saying they'd forgotten driving licenses or whatever and had x days to produce it at the garda station. I'm pretty sure it's 10 days you have. So maybe that is the actual law for driving offences, at the same time ask, why would you be up in court for a driving offence, i.e. no tax, no insurance, should all be on the car already :P unless it actually is in the post :) 10 days is sufficient for a tax cert or insurance cert to get to you.

@walrusgumble I read a similar story for the Supermacs in Moate, he threw it out as the kid was the main bread winner in the family. He went off on a few tangents about would they rather the kid was hanging out on the street, no money, doing feck knows what. At least the kid had a job and was able to earn, rather than waiting to turn 18 to claim dole or worse living in complete poverty until then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Ah another hard knock by the Judge.

Reading the paper yesterday and now he is off again on banning people from driving if they dont hand in paper work with 10 days of being stopped - even if the person has insurance, tax, nct & of course a licence.

Does anyone know if he can actually do this? Because from what I read you are intitiled to produce your documents up until the day before a court case (if you were summonsed that is)

Yes he can. It is a separate offence not to produce within 10 days as well as not having documents in the first place. Some judge strike out the charges when people come to court with documents but they do not have to. Some get fed up of having guards turn up in court for no good reason. It is a waste of Garda time and state money. Some judges thus impose penalties on people who are too lazy or indifferent to bring their documents to the garda station they themselves have chosen

I know a judge can have the final say, but are judges allowed go beyond the laws set in place?
    No he cannot. His decisions can be appealed to the Circuit Court and reviewed by the High Court.
    It kinda boggles me that laws are put in place and that judges can change it from their courtroom seat.
    No. judges cannot change the law in court. If they try, it can be corrected on appeal or review.
    What happens if you genuinly do forget to produce you documents at a garda station within 10 days. Say your not even in the county, maybe on holidays or something. And when you get home you find you have a court summons or even worse you have been banned from driving for a year. That could really effect people in a very hard way. The majority of working people rely on their licence to be able to drive to work and many peoples work depends on their licence like self employed people who use a van or deliver people or van sales people etc etc.

Just thought I would ask other people views.

And yes we all know that they should have been displaying the proper dics in their vehicle window. But for those people who were telling the truth when they say 'it's in the post' or 'I just bought the car' are the ones who I am talking about, for the guys who didnt have the proper documents to begin with.... let the face the judge!

If a licence is so important to people they should take care of it. They should keep their paperwork in order and produce on demand.

If they are convicted they should appeal to the Circuit Court within 14 days and the ban will be put on hold until the appeal is dealt with. They should make sure to hand in their paperwork on time after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Fair play to Judge Neilon. He seems to be decent chap who treats people fairly if they show him a bit of respect and aren't pure chancers. But if you get on his wrong side then good luck!!!!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/outspoken-judge-jails-man-for-talking-1595078.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 patbrady877

he is a strange one - but a good one. He went though a phase last year of jailing people for drink driving (for a few days). Sounds like a good idea, but if it was you, you might not think so!

Advertisement