Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Confidence motion - a waste of Dail time surely?

Options
  • 09-06-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭

One and a half days amidst the greatest ecconomic crisis to hit this country in a long, long time and our public representatives are spending a day and a half debating a no confidence motion that the government will win anyway... Surely there are better issues that could be dealt with now using this time, especially considering holidays kick in in a a week or two anyway..

It sounds like it'll be a rerun of the collective bickering and butt-kicking that was Q&A last night, and like that show, in the end there was no real beneficial outocome to the ordinary voter.

From RTE

The Dáil will begin debating a motion of confidence in the Government at 2.30pm this afternoon - the Government is expected to win tomorrow's vote comfortably.

Faced with a Fine Gael motion of no confidence, the Government responded in the traditional way - meeting the challenge head-on by putting down its own confidence motion.
    Advertisement

Dáil business has been cleared for today and tomorrow to allow time for the debate, which will begin after the order of business and Leaders' Questions to Taoiseach Brian Cowen.

The debate is due to continue until 8.30pm tonight, and then resume tomorrow, when the motion will be put to a vote at around 5.30pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If the opposition were serious about bringing down the government, the opposition would refuse to pair with missing government tds. make every govt td attend every single vote and if more than 2 or 3 are absent, defeat the motion until they agree to an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

This vote should put the end to the career of a few Green TDs and a few independents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think this is an utter waste of time, FG playing politics (payed for by us), when the country is in crisis. And moved the debate about the Ryan report (another thing that the government has fkd up and is now tackling retrospectively) to Friday. Are they going to do ANY work to try and deal with the current economic situation this week at all???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its more applying pressure. We all know that there not going to win. The government are going to be, effectively, held to randsom by Independents and Greens. FF wont drop, not a chance. The Greens or the Independents will have to pull the plug and as long as they get what they want, that wont happen.

The real question is; How many orders will the government take from them before they say "No"?

(PS we have another thread on this already)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

It will be live, as always, on Oireachtas TV. Might watch a bit, but to be honest, Kenny and Cowen dont make for very exciting debates.

There is much discussion as whether this was a good move by FG. One boardsie called a "master stroke," yet the Examiner reporter said its defeat would negatively impact FG.

Either way, I think that tabling this motion is FG responding to the electorate. Everyone is saying that this elections should end the government, and FG is responding to try and do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Akrasia wrote: »
    If the opposition were serious about bringing down the government, the opposition would refuse to pair with missing government tds. make every govt td attend every single vote and if more than 2 or 3 are absent, defeat the motion until they agree to an election.

They could indeed and it would replicated in spades by FF in opposition. FG and Labour in opposition are pussies by comparison to a baying FF party. Long term it would cause a lot of problems in getting things done as well as an awful lot of bad blood.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

turgon wrote: »
    It will be live, as always, on Oireachtas TV. Might watch a bit, but to be honest, Kenny and Cowen dont make for very exciting debates.

There is much discussion as whether this was a good move by FG. One boardsie called a "master stroke," yet the Examiner reporter said its defeat would negatively impact FG.

Either way, I think that tabling this motion is FG responding to the electorate. Everyone is saying that this elections should end the government, and FG is responding to try and do that.

I think if FG did nothing and left them carry on, it would anger a lot of people. By responding with a vote of no confidence it damages those supporting FF in the vote especially The Greens. It also shows FG responding to the electorate. But we all know they wont win, its just a tease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

If it keeps cowen busy for a few hours it is well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Where's John Gormless ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Another decent live feed on RTE:

http://www.rte.ie/live/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not a waste of time for the opposition, as its two days of high profile pressure.

George Lee will need to learn how to sit in a Dail seat and look engaged with proceedings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

mike65 wrote: »
    George Lee will need to learn how to sit in a Dail seat and look engaged with proceedings.

The reality of the talking shop he has committed himself to is probably dawning on him.

I don't understand the fundamental point of this debate. Surely everyone is going to vote on their party line, as usual. Including independents voting with the party they committed themselves to.

Given that the result is a fait accompli, this debate is therefore a talking shop, and a waste of valuable and expensive dáil time.

Am I right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 xniamhx

gcgirl wrote: »
    Where's John Gormless ?

I am disgusted that he is absent today, the man is absolutely spineless!

And where the hell have half the FF party gone off to? a later lunch? It's pathetic.

In relation to the thread, the opposition have been elected by the people, and it is their DUTY to speak for us, and to put forward such a motion when the goverment has quite clearly lost the confidence of the electorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well its within the right of the opposition to table a no confidence motion once every six months so now is a good time to turn the screw a little more on national tv, be it live this afternoon or on news/current affairs progs later. Not a waste of time for them.

What else would they be discussing right now? And would we be taking any remote interest in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

The fact that the govt is sure to win is damning in its own right. The people have come out and said that they are not happy at all with the way things are going and want a change. Whatever about the Greens fighting for their political lives, the FF backbenchers, elected to represent the views of their constituents are just as complicit in this fiasco as they dont have the "liathroidi" to stand up and be held accountable and vote against Cowen. I have never voted FF but I would vote for any FF backbencher that votes with the opposition as it shows they are clearly listening to the electorate!

paddyland wrote: »
    The reality of the talking shop he has committed himself to is probably dawning on him.

I don't understand the fundamental point of this debate. Surely everyone is going to vote on their party line, as usual. Including independents voting with the party they committed themselves to.

Given that the result is a fait accompli, this debate is therefore a talking shop, and a waste of valuable and expensive dáil time.

Am I right?

that can be said about everything that happens in the dail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

solice wrote: »
    The fact that the govt is sure to win is damning in its own right. The people have come out and said that they are not happy at all with the way things are going and want a change.

Not necessarily. Some people have merely said that they dont want Fianna Fail representing them on local councils and in the European Parliament. This would then point to FF failings in these bodies rather than in the national parliament.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I have never voted FF but I would vote for any FF backbencher that votes with the opposition as it shows they are clearly listening to the electorate!

There may just be one or two "cute hoor" backbenchers that are thinking the same ...only they'd have to go independent in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

There's some difference in Gilmore's ability to speak campared to Kenny and the bovine Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

turgon wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Some people have merely said that they dont want Fianna Fail representing them on local councils and in the European Parliament. This would then point to FF failings in these bodies rather than in the national parliament.

;)

Its generally accepted that the local elections was fought on national issues so I would say its true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Green TD Gogarty got under the collar with Kenny, saying he hadn't the balls to become Taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

There's some difference in Gilmore's ability to speak campared to Kenny and the bovine Taoiseach.

There really is. He finished very passionately, much better than Kenny and Cowen.

The fact that the govt is sure to win is damning in its own right. The people have come out and said that they are not happy at all with the way things are going and want a change. Whatever about the Greens fighting for their political lives, the FF backbenchers, elected to represent the views of their constituents are just as complicit in this fiasco as they dont have the "liathroidi" to stand up and be held accountable and vote against Cowen. I have never voted FF but I would vote for any FF backbencher that votes with the opposition as it shows they are clearly listening to the electorate!

There is an element of game theory here where one or two FF tds could stand up and be collapse this government and actually benefit in the forthcoming GE with the status of a whistleblower/contientous objector.

If the individuals look at their options

A: vote with the party in the hope that the government will continue for 3 more years and that this will all have blown over by then

B: Break ranks and release a moving statement declaring that they have deep respect for the democratic voice of their constituents and that they can no longer in good conscience remain part of this government with no mandate from the people.

Option A is very risky because the govt could fall earlier than 2012 and they would probably lose their seat in the backlash against FF

Option B could see them gain kudos from the electorate and give them a reasonable chance of being re-elected as an independent or candidate with another party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

out of interest, has there been a proper debate in the Dáil since the Treaty Debates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Option B could see them gain kudos from the electorate and give them a reasonable chance of being re-elected as an independent or candidate with another party.

+1

If anyone resigned from FF and helped get them out of power they could have my next polling card NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Anyone else think it was ridiculous that all parties did not remain in the dail until the end of the debate? I mean Cowen walking out in the middle of the SF speech was just plain ignorant. He is being paid enough money that I for one expect him to sit there and respond to his critics, regardless of which party they belong to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

avalon68 wrote: »
    I mean Cowen walking out in the middle of the SF speech was just plain ignorant. He is being paid enough money that I for one expect him to sit there and respond to his critics, regardless of which party they belong to.

Seems to be a new party tactic to keep the illusion and arrogance afloat, because an FF canvasser did that to me when I asked him some questions.

It shows the contempt and "I'm not answerable to anyone" attitude; the sooner the guy and his tent-buddies gets the boot the better.

I'm assuming that it didn't happen today ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

There is an element of game theory here where one or two FF tds could stand up and be collapse this government and actually benefit in the forthcoming GE with the status of a whistleblower/contientous objector.

If the individuals look at their options

A: vote with the party in the hope that the government will continue for 3 more years and that this will all have blown over by then

B: Break ranks and release a moving statement declaring that they have deep respect for the democratic voice of their constituents and that they can no longer in good conscience remain part of this government with no mandate from the people.

Option A is very risky because the govt could fall earlier than 2012 and they would probably lose their seat in the backlash against FF

Option B would have worked six months ago, not so much now. If they voted for the past two mini budgets and only jump ship now, after voting for getting rid of the Christmas bonus and other such hot button issues they probably have better chance with the party than without it. Any FF TD wanting to go the independent route should have jumped ship with the last budget I think at the very latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Anonymous man

I am glad about the pressure. I have no faith in this Government and my only way of showing it was last Friday. FG & Labour know their are over 50% of the people that want the general election. They are hopefully starting the ball rolling and in any case they are correct in what they are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

gcgirl wrote: »
    Where's John Gormless ?

:D hehe. Thats a good point. I wonder whats going on in the back rooms of the green party. Seems to me that their alliance with FF, and Gormleys reversal on a few things has gutted their support base. Maybe they would have benefitted more from staying in Opposition.

Anyway John Who? ;)

Advertisement