Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mondello?

• 09-06-2009 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

heya i was thinking about booking my bf a session in mondello but i was just wonderin is it good??..
    i dont know a thing about cars...but hes always on about it....
    has anyone gone there before and what was it like?:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

cat_<3 wrote: »
    heya i was thinking about booking my bf a session in mondello but i was just wonderin is it good??..
    i dont know a thing about cars...but hes always on about it....
    has anyone gone there before and what was it like?:D

You mean a session in the driving school? I did the beginner course a few years ago and the intermediate more recently. Its great craic getting to drive the single seater alright and i found the instructors very good. It is pricey enough though but if you have the money then i would definitely recommend it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Are you still doing the on board cameras?

Coz that's another plus if you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i would love to do a course at mondello.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Im just back from doing the intermidate course today, it was great fun, the mazda is pefect for learning the line and the Formula Shane is so much fun (pity they limit it to 4000 rpm!) fastest lap was 1:55.461, it was a bit wet today though, I cant wait to go back and do the full track (hopefully in the dry!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sounds great, must do this over the summer.

Noob question, do you need a car licence?

Only reason I'm asking is I know the motorcycle track days require a full A licence.

Is it the same for single seaters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Im just in from work at the school, it was very wet in the morning but it got better as the day went on. Are u sure your best time wasnt a 55.461? as a 2 min lap seems a little off the pace. Who was your instructor? I may have been me *cue evil laugh*

Yea sorry it was 55:461! it was epic fun, im still going over those corners in my head! I cant remember my instructors name! Iwas the really tall guy in the second last session! (i got yellow flagged for "pushing it a bit hard" in the words of my instructor!) I also lost my USB stick while i was on the track so i couldnt get a video of me in the racing car :(.

Compliments to yourself and all other members of staff, everyone was really friendly, helpful, and proffesional, which made it even more enjoyable!

really tall guy in the second last session! (i got yellow flagged for "pushing it a bit hard" in the words of my instructor!)

Dave????
    ri got yellow flagged for "pushing it a bit hard" in the words of my instructor!

This happened me a couple of years ago too! :o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

smooch71 wrote: »
    Are you still doing the on board cameras?

Coz that's another plus if you are.
    I also lost my USB stick while i was on the track so i couldnt get a video of me in the racing car :(.

I'm booked in for the start line course in the middle of October - absolutely cannot wait but can I ask if I need to bring a USB stick to record the laps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

smokingman wrote: »
    I'm booked in for the start line course in the middle of October - absolutely cannot wait but can I ask if I need to bring a USB stick to record the laps?

The USB stick is provided for you.

It's a good laugh looking at the onboard shots of your self and realising Fernando Alonso has nothing to worry about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The only thing you need is yourself, your voucher and your drivers licence!

Check....already got the lot in my car waiting....antici...pating :)
    smooch71 wrote: »
    The USB stick is provided for you.

Fantastic - nice one Mondello! It's things like that, that really make the experience even better. Looking forward to it even more now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

Did the single seaters change a little while back? (round the time the rovers were binned for mazda's)

What's the best time you've seen for the single seaters so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Brother did this, got it as a birthday present.

He loved it, definitely recommend it as a present for someone into motorsport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Did this yesterday with my brother and a friend. Great experience and well worth the €225. The Formula Sheane is pure power at your feat, gives you a real feel for motor racing. Can't wait to try the intermediate course.

Just out of interest, what's the lap record for the start line course? I managed 59.3 seconds before I spun out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Doing this next week, do u need to bring runners or are shoes provided, looking forward to making a mazda engine explode under pressure... : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

What day are you coming down?

Ficus wrote: »
    What day are you doing it?

Doing the home straight course next wendsday the 7th, really looking forward to it.....probably start doing track days once I get a taste for it, I've an impreza that refuses to pass an NCT so there's only one place for it now : )

@Ficus & Lightening

I must say the instructor I had was excellent in explaining the track, when to brake, turn get back on the power and were to look to next in terms of car position which really made it a worthwhile experience. I didn't realise you could jump straight to the Advanced course without doing the intermediate beforehand, might give that a go. My times were coming down every lap but then had trouble dropping down from 5th on turn 2 and ran wide and spun.

For anyone going for the first time I'd also recommend buying the video afterwards, you can really see where you were going wrong and where you can improve your times.

Anyway, you'll see me back there soon!

I hope he's not like my dad who has a tendency to pull the handbrake while i'm driving:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lendrew1

Whats the with minimum age to do the course? Do you need a full licence?

I must say the instructor I had was excellent in explaining the track

Can you remember his name? Lightning is around the mark, its a 55.9 or so. I had 1 guy do a 56.3 on Sunday just gone, and its the first 56 I have seen in quite a while. As Lightning said , under 60 secs means you were listening to us :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 tuathal07

Hey Kersh,

I did the startline course last Sunday too, in the morning. My best lap was a 56.6. Maybe 56 second laps are like buses :)

I can't remember the name of my instructor (he had black hair and glasses) but he was excellent at explaining what to do. Unfortunately my USB stick got lost during my laps so I couldnt get my onboard video which was a pity.

Nonetheless it was a great experience and I would highly recommend it. I'll definitely be going back.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fatboy1979

i was at mondello at the start of sep 2009 i was just wondering what is the fastest lap my fastest lap was 52.400 the weather was perfect for racing my instructor was a old english guy he explined everything very well :Di would love to do it again and try to beat my lap time i know i could go faster i did'nt follow the racing line after the third corner although i did get blacked flagged for been to aggressive and told to take it easy :mad: was not impressed with that it made more aggressive its a bit crap the way you can only over take on the straight in front of the pits:confused: you should set up a lap time board it would encourage people like me to come back again whats the fastest lap

fatboy1979 wrote: »
    you should set up a lap time board it would encourage people like me to come back again whats the fastest lap

Not a hope i'd say. If they did that the chances of people crashing out would be far higher and that's just going to cost them money. Was your time on the clubman circuit or the intermediate?

Kersh wrote: »
    Can you remember his name? Lightning is around the mark, its a 55.9 or so. I had 1 guy do a 56.3 on Sunday just gone, and its the first 56 I have seen in quite a while. As Lightning said , under 60 secs means you were listening to us :pac::pac:
    Think his name was Dan. My mate that did it with me watched the video of the Mazda laps and was a bit annoyed that he didn't get the same level of instruction on his laps but I think he was just making excuses for his poor times :)

Not a hope i'd say. If they did that the chances of people crashing out would be far higher and that's just going to cost them money. Was your time on the clubman circuit or the intermediate?
    i did the home straight course on the 9/9/2009 with the racing school. im not sure what circuit i did just looking at the cert and it did not say. so anyway your still avoiding the question, im dying to know whats the fastest lap time is for us amatures. thanks for the reply.
    looking forward to beating my time sometime in the near future:D.

I did the startline course last Sunday too, in the morning. My best lap was a 56.6. Maybe 56 second laps are like buses

I can't remember the name of my instructor (he had black hair and glasses) but he was excellent at explaining what to do. Unfortunately my USB stick got lost during my laps so I couldnt get my onboard video which was a pity.

Nonetheless it was a great experience and I would highly recommend it. I'll definitely be going back.

Ah that was you. I thought it was a 56.3! Anyhow, your instructor was me. And a 56.6 is very very good. :D

you should set up a lap time board it would encourage people like me to come back again whats the fastest lap

Come racing :pac::pac::pac:

fatboy1979 wrote: »
    i did the home straight course on the 9/9/2009 with the racing school. im not sure what circuit i did just looking at the cert and it did not say. so anyway your still avoiding the question, im dying to know whats the fastest lap time is for us amatures. thanks for the reply.
    looking forward to beating my time sometime in the near future:D.

I don't know what the fastest time is, I'm only an ordinary punter! Did the course a few years ago, can't remember what time I did it in. Spun at BOAC on one of the laps. Got a bit of a bollocking for that, but great experience TBF. From what the lads are saying anywhere around 56s seems to be very quick, probably fast enough to actually race well maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tuathal07

Ah that was you. I thought it was a 56.3! Anyhow, your instructor was me. And a 56.6 is very very good. :D

Ah it was you. Cool, thanks for all your help and advise. It obviously worked a treat! :D

• Advertisement

Come racing :pac::pac::pac:
    hey kersh
    i did the home straight course on the 9/9/2009 great weather for racing that day. my fastest lap that day was 52.400, just wondering what is the fastest lap time for us amatures. realy looking forward to the next time i do it, great fun:D:D

cheers

my fastest lap that day was 52.400

You were using the national circuit (based in pit garages)? Im not sure what a good time on that circuit is, cos I haven done it in ages, Lightning or Ficus might know.
    Spun at BOAC on one of the laps

Thats on the National circuit. The times im quoting (56.6) are on the 'loop' thats used for the usual race school days.

rain rain, go away...:(

what's the chances of having a dry track by 12 tomorrow:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 VW94MH

Hi - anybody got any ideas of what an ok, a good, and a great lap time is in the single seater for someone doing the "chequered flag" course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Sorry to bump an old thread, but i was just wondering if boardsies could get a discount for a group on the 'Home Straight' course?!

There'd be four of us interested.

Advertisement