Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Kilkenny

Options
  • 09-06-2009 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just got a job in Kilkenny and need to move down asap.

What areas should I be looking at? I will be working in city centre and need parking and somewhere safe to leave a bike.

It will have to be a house share too as the budget won't stretch to having my own flat.

Also, if you have any suggestions for yoga or dance classes let me know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Tawny wrote: »
    Hi all,

What areas should I be looking at? I will be working in city centre and need parking and somewhere safe to leave a bike.

It will have to be a house share too as the budget won't stretch to having my own flat.

Also, if you have any suggestions for yoga or dance classes let me know.
    avoid newpark, try lakeside, nice houses there, 5 min bike ride from town centre

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

avoid newpark

I resent that Raze!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I resent that Raze!
    Lol resent at as you will, it's like when people call comer a scumhole full of druggies...I resent it...but sadly it's fairly true!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

Lol resent at as you will, it's like when people call comer a scumhole full of druggies...I resent it...but sadly it's fairly true!

Valid point, Castlecomer does suck :P But yeah lakeside has got some really nice houses. Or even try the new apartments in McDonagh Junction or Barrack Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

On daft there are 55 house shares advertised. They are all within a 5-10 minute drive to town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

yep i'm working my way through them. The job is only for 4 months and most of the landlords are all looking for 6mths contract at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

The arse has fallen out of the rent market. Am sure the landlords would prefer to rent out a place for 4 months than have it lying idle. Worth giving them a call on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

You gotta job in Kilkenny?! How did you pull that one out of the bag.
    avoid newpark, try lakeside, nice houses there, 5 min bike ride from town centre.

Being a Newpark resident myself, I can safely say... Your full of bullsh!t.
    Try Lakeside

Yeah I agree, try Lakeside... Or you could move to some eastern european country, same difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Also try the notice boards in the local supermarkets. Try the Loughboy Supervalue board if you want to live on the Waterford road side near the Watershed (local swimming pool).
    Or the Newpark store for Lakeside, McDonagh Junction, train/bus station on the Dublin road.
    Superquinn also have a notice board.
    You could put up your own notice in all three and see what bites. We did something similar and got results.
    I've also heard that the Hostel in Kilkenny does good term rates, don't know much more about it.
    McDonagh Junction apts have storage heaters so can be more expensive for bills.
    Also the local rag The Kilkenny People usually has a few house share ads.
    Best of luck with the search, as someone already said there should be no shortage of mortgagees looking to lighten their load, even for a short time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Thanks for the advice guys. Got a place pretty much sorted on the west side of the city. Moving down on Sunday :) Seems like a lovely place to live... any advice for where to go to meet people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Thanks for the advice guys. Got a place pretty much sorted on the west side of the city. Moving down on Sunday :) Seems like a lovely place to live... any advice for where to go to meet people?

congrats on the job and welcome to kilkenny.

Most places are ok to live in kilkenny, Id have recommended roberthills myself as its only 10 min walk from town though i would say its very quite estate as you rarely see anyone else around the place.

Depends on your interests advanced warning people from kilkenny have a strong tendancy to stick to their own groups! Well my run down of kilkenny

If you're interested in sports theres a sticky with info at the top of the page. Theres a tennis club, hurling (of course!), golf, cycling club, lots of others

Tag Rugby season has started up as well if your interested in playing, we always welcome anyone just send me a mail. Its every thursday night/the odd friday.

Movies/cinema - the local cinemas crap enough in terms of selection of films compared to cork or dublin but is grand to pass a few hours when bored.

Theres also a local movie club that shows films not sure if thats still going at the moment or if they are on a break.

Music - One take sessions run in Cleeres in periods of every few weeks are usually quite good.

Zoo - Does alot of dance/techno nowadays I think?

Pumphouse - barflies play every sunday they're ok.

Matt the Millers - band plays there every monday can't remember there name but decent enough again.

Left bank is popular enough not the type of place to go for big sporting matches though imo.

Nightclubs - Langtons is the one alot of people end up going to if you like nightclubs. Morrissions (Morrisseys? I always mix the two up and apologises for spelling) is ok as well again if you like night clubs advantage is its free in where as its not normally for langtons.

Food - The marbel city does the nicest food in kilkenny though can be busy. I also rate the playwright v highly for food and nice staff as well.

Watergate Threater has shows on you which may be of interest. Its

I'm sure theres loads more others can tell you here the aboves just what I've picked up in my 2 yrs here.

I'm certain I've forgotten something I wanted to say but I'll post this and come back and edit if I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 selena27

Ardilea and Meadow Way on Castlecomer Road are nice and quiet.If looking for classes try Newpark.Good variety there and only 6euro for non members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Although irrelevant to the post, just thought I would say:

Im moving to Kilkenny too!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

Most places are ok to live in kilkenny, Id have recommended roberthills myself as its only 10 min walk from town though i would say its very quite estate as you rarely see anyone else around the place.

Depends on your interests advanced warning people from kilkenny have a strong tendancy to stick to their own groups! Well my run down of kilkenny

If you're interested in sports theres a sticky with info at the top of the page. Theres a tennis club, hurling (of course!), golf, cycling club, lots of others

Tag Rugby season has started up as well if your interested in playing, we always welcome anyone just send me a mail. Its every thursday night/the odd friday.

Movies/cinema - the local cinemas crap enough in terms of selection of films compared to cork or dublin but is grand to pass a few hours when bored.

Theres also a local movie club that shows films not sure if thats still going at the moment or if they are on a break.

Music - One take sessions run in Cleeres in periods of every few weeks are usually quite good.

Matt the Millers - band plays there every monday can't remember there name but decent enough again.

Left bank is popular enough not the type of place to go for big sporting matches though imo.

Nightclubs - Langtons is the one alot of people end up going to if you like nightclubs. Morrissions (Morrisseys? I always mix the two up and apologises for spelling) is ok as well again if you like night clubs advantage is its free in where as its not normally for langtons.

Food - The marbel city does the nicest food in kilkenny though can be busy. I also rate the playwright v highly for food and nice staff as well.

I'm sure theres loads more others can tell you here the aboves just what I've picked up in my 2 yrs here.

I'm certain I've forgotten something I wanted to say but I'll post this and come back and edit if I remember.

Pretty decent short rundown ^ I am living in Kilkenny for the Summers imbetween College and have been down every few weeks for as long as I can remember, thats pretty accurate. I would also say try all the food you can in Kilkenny, most is a lot better than you'd expect!

Places I have eaten in are nice:
    The Field (at the traffic lights at the edge of Castle to the City)
    Extreme Pizza (American chain on a sidestreet near McDonagh)
    The Playwright (I know the guy that owns it, he's a chef by trade)
    Dores Cafe (think it's called that) does nice coffee/sambos
    Esquires Coffee (again a chain, but decent food)

Eating out is great exp. in KK you get to relax in the medieval streets to nice food! What could be better?!?!?!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

PoleStar wrote: »
    Although irrelevant to the post, just thought I would say:

Im moving to Kilkenny too!

Kilkenny....the place to be :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Dores Cafe (think it's called that) does nice coffee/sambos

Are they still passing off Mr Kipling cakes in there are traditional homemade baking?

mick_irl wrote: »
    Are they still passing off Mr Kipling cakes in there are traditional homemade baking?

They also recycle whatever food is left on your plate, friend of mine used to work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

mick_irl wrote: »

Their sandwiches/wraps are nice enough, but I'd never have the cakes/hot food there, bleugh.

Besides, Dores is totally overpriced for what it is, just a coffee shop, and a very mediocre one at that. When you consider all the other excellent places to eat in Kilkenny I don't know how it's so popular. I suppose it'll draw the tourists with its decor, but it could really improve the food side of things.

Ground Floor sandwiches, now THERE's a place you want to go, yum.....

I actually think Kilkenny is one of the best places in the country to eat out, so much choice

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Two things you should never ever do in Kilkenny.

1. Stop to talk to the nice bald man with the white dogs.

2. Eat in Dores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

...And a third thing.

3. Go out in John Street on a Saturday night.

Hey, this thread could run and run..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭curious guy

Is it 2 late to join the tag rugby ? and if not more details about it please

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Threadhead wrote: »
    Two things you should never ever do in Kilkenny.

1. Stop to talk to the nice bald man with the white dogs.

2. Eat in Dores.

To be honest ive been to Dores countless times and i quite like it, they do a great toasted BLT the nicest ive ever had.
    Sit upstairs outside and its lovely.
    I dont see everyones problem with it? Where else are you going to go in the city centre where you can sit outside have a sambo & coffee and relax without paying a fortune in somewhere like the ormonde?
    Purry Cat wrote: »
    ...And a third thing.

3. Go out in John Street on a Saturday night.

Hey, this thread could run and run..!

Are you trying to suggest that the Parlement street are has a more friendly clientele than Johnstreet?
    John street has a good choice of late bars and not much wrong with any of em, maybe despite Langtons under-agers..
    Ive seen more trouble on Parlement street and rose inn street than anywhere else tbh.

I would suggest Morissons on Ormonde street if your a single gent 20+ i would wait till later in the eveing before you head out though. Place isnt the nicest when its empty. Head to Lanagans on Rose Inn street would be a deacent night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I dont see everyones problem with it?

The problems that Kilkenny people have with Dore's are numerous. I will try and complile them for you in as concise a manner as possible:

1) The hot food is rank and not at all fresh. It's either reheated or bubbling away all day.
    2) Their "home-made" cakes are actually made in Mr Kipling's home (assuming Mr Kipling lives in a large cake making factory)
    3) Their Coffee is rank
    4) Most of their food and drink is sold at a shamelessly inflated price.
    5) That nostalgia stuff is, to put it nicely, too twee for words. To put it bluntly it is shítty, tasteless b0llocks.
    6) The main consumers of their bloated faux confectionary and painfully affected noveau hiberianism tend to be transients, on holiday from The States, and are charged accordingly.

These opinions are not strictly mine own, they are widely held by the Kilkenny dining community at large, which is why they don't go there.

In fact I myself have even been known to darken their Dore (ahem) myself upon occasion. My lady likes their smoking area, so I have paid then a visit or too.

That is to say I go there, but I understand why lots of people don't....
    Where else are you going to go in the city centre where you can sit outside have a sambo & coffee and relax without paying a fortune in somewhere like the ormonde?

Marble City Tea Rooms
    Mugshot Café
    The one on Ormonde Street
    The Yard (beside Kytler's)
    Back of Langtons
    I am sure there's more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Are you trying to suggest that the Parlement street are has a more friendly clientele than Johnstreet?

That's exactly what I'm trying to suggest, yes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You mentioned you have a bike, I'm in the local cycling club. We meet every Saturday morning at 10am (middlin'), Sunday morning at 9am (experienced) and Monday at 7pm (beginner) outside the castle.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

greenfly wrote: »
    To be honest ive been to Dores countless times and i quite like it, they do a great toasted BLT the nicest ive ever had.
    Sit upstairs outside and its lovely.
    I dont see everyones problem with it? Where else are you going to go in the city centre where you can sit outside have a sambo & coffee and relax without paying a fortune in somewhere like the ormonde?

John street has a good choice of late bars and not much wrong with any of em, maybe despite Langtons under-agers..
    Ive seen more trouble on Parlement street and rose inn street than anywhere else tbh.

I would suggest Morissons on Ormonde street if your a single gent 20+ i would wait till later in the eveing before you head out though. Place isnt the nicest when its empty. Head to Lanagans on Rose Inn street would be a deacent night too.

I think it's safe to say that both of us have a lot of differing opinions on Kilkenny. But hey, that's part of the charm of the place. At least there's options.

If I started with all my Dores horror stories I'd be writing a long time. Suffice to say, I'll not darken their door. When you use the word 'fortune' please don't use it when defending the prices of the most infamous rip off spot in all of Kilkenny. Apparently the term 'Nostalgia Cafe' also applies to how long the food has been hanging around in there too. Nostalgia: the new word for gone off, past its sell by date and left over.

Anything else I have to say about Dores is rendered pointless by fabbydabby nailing it on the head.

I would agree with you that John Street gets an unfair rap but to say that Parliament Street is worse is a bit of a stretch. But yeah, Rose Inn Street is worse than the both of them put together. I blame the footpaths though. And Lanigans.

But fair play for your points anyway, each to their own.

Parlemant street is the "Hairy" side of town!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

Threadhead wrote: »
    I would agree with you that John Street gets an unfair rap but to say that Parliament Street is worse is a bit of a stretch.

Not from my experience and I am not from Kilkenny so I'd like to think I am not biased. John Street is where I have seen the most rubbish, the most Gardai (mounted and vans, next will be the chopper :D ), the most fights, etc. Plus it's where (the worst of) the Dublin contingent hang out (not mentioning any establishments that like to put them up on purpose ;) ). The most hilarious one I saw was two hens in the same party trying to kill each other (You could tell with those awful custom pink crap they had on), I'd say that train ride (most likely) or drive home was fun!

Rose Inn Street's problems are mainly due to layout I believe. The whole way closing times are structured IMHO is terrible. In Kildare they have tried different things like getting Hackney companys to deploy people outside establishments and have a constant supply. If you get people off the street when they are being turfed out, less trouble and less bad rep for any street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I know Fabbydabby has it nailed but I am compelled by bad memories to add that what Dores do to coffee shouldn't happen to a dog!

But at least Kilkenny now has choice and long may that last. This place in the eighties sucked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

I respect your opinions and will most certanly continue to try all the different places to eat in the city and see if infact what you are all suggesting is true.
    Ive been to quite a few to be honest and well i dont see Dores being that bad in comparrisson, maybe i got lucky!

Not only s it the "hairy" side of town, but have you been outside Amber & Blacks? or The pumphouse? Late at night never seen a fight or two?

I seen a guy pulling lumps of glass out his face outside amber blacks while sitting on the entrance to the market cross carpark and he won the fight:eek:
    the guy who lost was unconcious being put into an ambulance...

Having said that i have seen fights on John's Bridge and high street but sure you are going to get that everywhere, i really dont think there is a difference from one side of the city to the other if anything i have seen more on Parlment Street

Advertisement