Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for non-widescreen 20"/21" monitor

Options
  • 09-06-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can purchase a non-widescreen 20"/21" LCD monitor? I need one as a second monitor for a dual screen display.

* Height adjustable
    * < 5 ms response time
    * Doesn't cost an arm and leg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Saw a Lacie 20" 4:3.. hang on a sec, just checking the price...

... €1519, that's within budget isn't it? lol.gif

On a more serious note, won't a 22" widescreen or a 19" screen suffice? 20"+ TFTs are predominantly 16:10 or even 16:9 screen ratio... biggest 4:3 TFTs outside the professional market are all 19" units. Lots on Elara but mostly out of stock. There are HannsG there as low as €109 but I don't know if there'd be anything there that includes adjustable stands...

Elara also has a couple of professional 20" units - the LG is "only" a bit over €350 but I'm guessing it won't be coming back in stock... or in budget ;) Dabs had a couple of 20" pro units as low as €295. Again, note those units are all about graphics and colour reproduction; they're fundamentally different from mainstream TFTs and are incompatible with "refresh boosters/turbos" so you're looking at 8-12ms response on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Er, only in my dreams!

My main display is a 26 inch Samsung, so another widescreen would leave me short of desk space. A 20 inch 4:3 would be the ideal size because it's big, but not too big and the size complements my main screen. Although I am coming around to the idea going for the widescreen option seeing as how 4:3 monitors are so difficult to find. Or else just getting a 19 inch. I already have a 19 inch monitor, but that's being "permanently borrowed" for my other PC.

They're as cheap as chips nowadays so it's probably best to get a good cheapie (especially if you're not using it for anything mission-critical) and find an adjustable stand later.

Or use books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Well here's one for €287 it says on the site it's only a 12" but the model numer and name is that of a 20.1"

http://www.besttrade.at/product_info.php?info=p4297_AOC-201S-12---1400x1050--analog.html

http://www.aoc-europe.com/wEn/monitors/phased_out/20_201S.php (manufacturers website)

or you could go with a 19" for a lot less money €85 and a dvi connection http://www.dabs.ie/products/gnr-19--ts902d-5ms-dvi-lcd-tft-5JF7.html?refs=420830000-49680000

I think MVA/PVA panels are a bit out of Rain's price range (unless its going to be used for hardcore rendering/image work or something) :P

But that cheap GNR was a nice catch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Yeah, those would be a little pricey for me.

Advertisement