Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decid on my first SLR. Is it ol to go for one tha tis a few generations old?

• 09-06-2009 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Decided on my first SLR. Is it ok to go for one that is a few generations old?

I've pretty much decided on a 2nd hand Cannon EOS 350D or Olympus E510. These seem to be available for good prices from online shops and on eBay.

I take it that for an SLR beginner a 4 year old camera would be fine? My thoughts are that that I could sell on for not too much loss if I don't get bitten by the photography bug. We just had our first baby last week and this is what is spurring me into action.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Edit: Sorry about the bad typing in the subject. I'll blame the keyboard ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Yeah this is a good idea,If you don't like photography after a while you don't loose much..I did the same buying a 300D as my first camera which was used from Japan!And to this day i've still never bought a new camera,Only used :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Im looking forward to seeing a self portrait of the OP :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Sounds like a sensible idea.
    I'd sway towards the Canon, if I was you, as these are always popular second-hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Thanks for the input guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

When buying - seek to find out if possible the number of actuations (shutter releases). Other than that, the camera should perform as it did on day one - and while technology has advanced somewhat there'll be little wrong with it. In all likelihood (assuming it is working ok), the worst case scenario is that you might need a canon / olympus service on it at a point sooner than if you were buying new but if you buy wisely you will ok there too.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I would not be afraid of older mechanical (film) camera, but digital? That makes me feel a little nervous. I always thought that the life of DSLR is 5 years, before smaller or bigger problems appear.

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but I would prefer new 1000D over few years old 300D.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Camera bodies are a fast depreciating, almost disposable, asset. The real investment in photography is in the lenses....at least imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Digital cameras, just like computers, only become old-fashioned, because people get cought up in the "numbers game". It's easy to get bam-boozeled by numbers :D

So this Quad-Core - 3 gazillion Mega Hertz chip is exactly what you need to send an email AND play solitare at the same time.

Or, this 20 million pixel camera will help you take brilliant photos, even if you are an ejjit!

So, as the OP suggests, it's not a bad idea to limit his budget, so he can test the water.

My only real suggestion?

If you never intend to print a picture bigger than A4 - then 4 Mega Pixel will do!
    (Typing this on my P4 2.8Mhz, 5 year old laptop :cool: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'd have no worries about the OP buying an E510, they were only announced in March '07 and available a few months later so the oldest a second hand one could be would be 2 years. In fact ifyou do a search on ebay it's still possible to get one new in the box.

I have mine since October '07 and have seen no compelling reason to upgrade yet, and my old E500 is still going strong with my sister in law at 3 and a half years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ThOnda wrote: »
    I would not be afraid of older mechanical (film) camera, but digital? That makes me feel a little nervous. I always thought that the life of DSLR is 5 years, before smaller or bigger problems appear.

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but I would prefer new 1000D over few years old 300D.

Just my opinion.

+1

Theres always the small chance with second hand that it could have been misused abused or overused and when you buy a entry one the chances multiply, as there not built to the same standards as a pro spec slr eg and old canon 1d 2, its built to take the use of professionals.

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    When buying - seek to find out if possible the number of actuations (shutter releases). Other than that, the camera should perform as it did on day one - and while technology has advanced somewhat there'll be little wrong with it. In all likelihood (assuming it is working ok), the worst case scenario is that you might need a canon / olympus service on it at a point sooner than if you were buying new but if you buy wisely you will ok there too.

Good luck with it.

What number of actuations would you deem to be excessive for a 3 year old camera? Would you simply pass on this camera or bring it for a service?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

What number of actuations would you deem to be excessive for a 3 year old camera? Would you simply pass on this camera or bring it for a service?

Thanks

Generally most shutters on entry level slrs are rated to 50000 clicks. So try get one with a guarantee and below 20k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

nilhg wrote: »
    I'd have no worries about the OP buying an E510, they were only announced in March '07 and available a few months later so the oldest a second hand one could be would be 2 years. In fact ifyou do a search on ebay it's still possible to get one new in the box.

I have mine since October '07 and have seen no compelling reason to upgrade yet, and my old E500 is still going strong with my sister in law at 3 and a half years old.

I'd agree with this, got an E410 in April 2007 and it's with my girlfriend now and still going strong.

Also you can get the newer E420 for €229 via www.photoagora.gr with €45 delivery to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Nforce wrote: »
    Camera bodies are a fast depreciating, almost disposable, asset. The real investment in photography is in the lenses....at least imo.

To dispose of your dslr, please post to;

Gary82,
    G82's house,
    Main St,
    Galway.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

gary82 wrote: »
    To dispose of your dslr, please post to;

Gary82,
    G82's house,
    Main St,
    Galway.

;)

:p

Didn't say that I was disposing of any of mine. Heck I still have my old Nikon Coolpix 5700.:)

Well, I picked up my new camera today - a nice shiney (2nd hand;)) Canon 400D. I even went to my local library and got a couple of books (there was one on the 350D so that should help!).

Expect loads of stupid questions over the coming weeks guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Lots of us here asking stupid questions so you won't be alone! The 400D is still a very good camera capable of taking amazing photos! Welcome to a new obsession!

Advertisement