Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Day To College

Options
  • 09-06-2009 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

On the first day starting college, will we be informed on what to bring etc.
    Because unlike Secondary School, not alot of us have someone to go with, and mess up the first day with.
    Like, on the first day of Secondary School, you know what to have, but just incase, you know you still have a least one friend. That's the case for the majority, but college is different, so will we know what we need to have and to do the first day, so we don't look like ejits?

Lemme know bubz. (Y) :)

~Becktron
    .oxXOo..<3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

You're not really regulated on what to bring...

You go to lectures and you take notes, on either an A4 or a laptop, depending on the size of your group you might be in a small group where you might be talking and interacting but otherwise from what I can tell (I'm going for Arts, huge year-size for at least first year) large groups in lecture halls are largely "talks" rather than group-work sort of crap.

Bring whatever you take notes with I guess :S What else could they want you to bring like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ~Becktron

Claypigeon wrote: »
    You're not really regulated on what to bring...

You go to lectures and you take notes, on either an A4 or a laptop, depending on the size of your group you might be in a small group where you might be talking and interacting but otherwise from what I can tell (I'm going for Arts, huge year-size for at least first year) large groups in lecture halls are largely "talks" rather than group-work sort of crap.

Bring whatever you take notes with I guess :S What else could they want you to bring like?

True, but since I'm doin' Photography, they might like want a camera.
    They'd tell you if they wanted you to have it the first day right?
    Nerves are gone.. Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

For the first week you have like induction type thing. Just bring a pen and pad, and brag all the free stuff you can :P

Hahaha free stuff?
    Sounds fun (Y)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Where can you do photography?

• Advertisement

Marino College.
    Just a Portfolio Course, then the full course is in DIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

~Becktron wrote: »
    Because unlike Secondary School, not alot of us have someone to go with, and mess up the first day with.
    Like, on the first day of Secondary School, you know what to have, but just incase, you know you still have a least one friend. That's the case for the majority, but college is different, so will we know what we need to have and to do the first day, so we don't look like ejits?

~Becktron
    .oxXOo..<3

There are loads of people to mess it up with. Majority of people who start college are all in the same boat and no one knows anything about anyone or anything. :P Don't worry about it too much.

rhapsody! wrote: »
    There are loads of people to mess it up with. Majority of people who start college are all in the same boat and no one knows anything about anyone or anything. :P Don't worry about it too much.
    Thank you (Y)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

OP, don't worry! - Just go in, as they said first week will be just induction/getting used place. Doubt ya go straight into work.

Just bring a pen and a notepad and enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

~Becktron
    .oxXOo..<3

Everyone looks like a tool in first year to be honest. Its hard to blend in for the first two weeks. But remember, no one expects you to know what to do, so just go with it. Bring a pad (MacBook for me :pac:) and pens, everything else is added on before Xmas (book lists etc)

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    Everyone looks like a tool in first year to be honest. Its hard to blend in for the first two weeks. But remember, no one expects you to know what to do, so just go with it. Bring a pad (MacBook for me :pac:) and pens, everything else is added on before Xmas (book lists etc)
    Think I'd look like a spa, in a small Photography Class with a MacBook?
    Hahaha
    Me and me mate had this convo the other day actually. Deja Vu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

If you're worried about whether or not you should have a camera with you, you could always e-mail someone at the college and ask (like the course co-ordinator or someone like that)

Other than that, all you really need are some pens and paper.

Oh and +1 about grabbing as much free stuff as you can. General rule of thumb; sign up for anything which comes with a goody bag and, when you have the goody bag, completely ignore whatever it is you signed up for! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

I heard that all the cool kids beat up nerdy kids like us, true story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

True, but since I'm doin' Photography, they might like want a camera.
    They'd tell you if they wanted you to have it the first day right?
    Yep, I wouldn't worry about it if they haven't told you to bring it.

That said, if it's a small group (which sounds possible) of enthusiastic photographers, you may find that some people do bring theirs anyway.

Will you feel a bit left out if everyone else is showing off / comparing the size of their ...lens? :pac:
    Think I'd look like a spa, in a small Photography Class with a MacBook?
    I would guess you wouldn't be the only one, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Tbh I would have thought you'd look a bit out of place WITHOUT a Macbook or something suited to media and stuff in a Photography course D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

~Becktron
    .oxXOo..<3
    Yeah normally they say to bring in a packed lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Bringing in a packed lunch will save you hundreds upon millions of euro, but may slightly lower your street cred. But yeah, just bring stuff you can write on. Don't even worry about books (while I have 3 college books, I never brought any in with me ever). Of course, it'll depend on you course, but they'll tell you everything you need to know when/before you start!

Advertisement