Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken chaser!!

Options
  • 09-06-2009 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

I'm hoping someone might be able to help with with what I hope is a minor issue!!
    My dad has a few hens who free range around the garden! My new labrador puppy has started chasing them a lot!! He ignores them say 70% of the time but the rest of the time he will creep up on them and then pounce and scare them away!! We thought this was hilarious at first because he looked so funny doing it but he's starting to get quicker and stronger and I'm afraid incase he won't grow out of it!
    Yesterday while my dad was outside he heard a yelp out of one of the chickens, when he turned around the pup was sat there with a feather sticking out of his mouth!!! The hens aren't afraid of him, they hang about around him most of the time although they are always watching from the corner of their eyes knowing that he could decide to chase them!!!
    I'm afraid that he might not grow out of it and end up hurting the hens!

Does anyone have any experience with chickens and dogs living in peace? He is still very young (8 weeks) so it's really difficult for me to correct him when he does it because he doesn't understand 'No' yet! (or at least he pretends not to:rolleyes:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I had this problem so I covered my dogs head with chicken food and sat with her in the garden while the hens ate off her. She doesn't go near them anymore.

Its a puppy - they chase stuff, I don't know what to suggest other than supervising him and giving the rolled up newspaper treatment if he goes near the hens. I'm old fashioned like that...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

lol, thanks for the tip!! I couldn't see him sitting still while they ate off his head though!!!! might have to try it if he doesn't stop!!
    He was out with them earlier and he didn't bother with them once!! He passed them loads of times, watched them, sat near them but didn't chase them so hopefully he's bored of that!!! I'm just worried that he will do it when he is big enough to do some damage!!

I'm inclined to think the opposite - if he grows up with them and gets used to them being around he'll ignore them.

Saying that, my six year old Lab took offence to a hen trying to eat from its food bowl and snapped at her. The hen moved fairly quickly but no contact was made and a lesson was learned - lock the hens in when the dogs are being fed.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You need to start basic training with him, and puppy classes. It's not acceptable for him to chase them yes puppies are playful but if he's mouthing them (stressful for birds) this needs to be dealt with. Labs are seen as gentle dogs but I know a couple that have had their wicked way with chickens before when left unsupervised.

Keep him on the lead when outside with him, he should be on a lead at that age when outside as he hasn't learned re call yet plus if a farm area it's not safe for him to run off lead as he's no sense yet.

Keep him mixing with the hens but distract him (NO newspaper treatment!) but really do try and get some puppy classes in now it will help you with all the basics, one that uses humane methods of training. If there's none in your area there are people that can come to your house and give you some tips.

It's not so bad now he's little but he's got to learn from the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

You need to start basic training with him, and puppy classes. It's not acceptable for him to chase them yes puppies are playful but if he's mouthing them (stressful for birds) this needs to be dealt with. Labs are seen as gentle dogs but I know a couple that have had their wicked way with chickens before when left unsupervised.

To be honest, he is only 8 weeks old today so up untill the last day or 2 he was just too young to even realise I was talking to him!! He knows his name now so that's a start!!
    Do you really think puppy classes are necessary? Are all well behaved dogs the product of puppy classes?? Do they have puppy classes allover the country? I have never heard of any in Cork... I will check it out thanks!
    Keep him on the lead when outside with him, he should be on a lead at that age when outside as he hasn't learned re call yet plus if a farm area it's not safe for him to run off lead as he's no sense yet.

I'm actually living in the city with a fully enlosed garden so there is no chance of him running off!! He spends a couple of hours outside every day where there is someone always either outside or inside with the door open constantly checking on him! It's not possible for someone to hold the leash all the time and I wouldn't feel comfortable with having him tied up! If it comes to it we will have to seperate them though.

Thanks for the advice, I will look into these puppy classes!

• Advertisement

Labs are seen as gentle dogs but I know a couple that have had their wicked way with chickens

Oh I lol'ed, I really did... :pac:

'xcptr

Advertisement