Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Separating Speed Garage from Rave

• 09-06-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Having a gander through my collection earlier, picking out some really proper old school stuff as I'm supposed to be working, I thought to myself, with the way genres have changed and adapted to tastes for over a decade and a half, what would constitute Rave against what some my think is a Speed Garage track?

For example, if I was to whip up a rave mix tape (think Old Skool, MP3 wasn't even given the acronym it has), I'd come up with:

Alien Factory - Tomorrow
    Prodigy - Out of Space
    Circuit - Transport of Love*
    Westbam - Celebration Generation*
    Scooter - Back in Time
    Prodigy - Everybody's in the Place
    Smart E's - Sesame Street
    Jam & Spoon - Say Yes (To Another Excess)*
    Legend B - Lost in Love*
    Marusha - Go Ahead*
    Scooter - Friends
    Ultra Sonic - Dreamers of Dreams
    Altern-8 - Evapor-8*
    Nostrum - Brainchild

However, tracks marked * might be Speed Garage or Fast/Hard Trance. What would you think? Rave used to be classed as 150+BPM, but sometimes some like e.g. Bassheads "Is there anybody out there?" at c. 125+BPM get lobbed into the Rave category.

Remember, most of this is probably based on opinion, so there's no wrong answer (save the smart alec remarks). Feel free to post your favourite Rave track too.

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Personally i always thought speed garage was more along the lines of that "Re re wind" thingy from years back. I was in london in 97-98 when the whole speed garage scene was huge and TBH i hated it. The whole "urban" thing did nothing for me. It was like slowed down dumbed down DnB but with annoying bass lines and no real kick or breakdown/build up to get you whoopin and hollerin. Rave was earlier, more 90-95 by my reckoning. That said, what would you class as Rave? there's a vast difference between happy hardcore and jungle but each could be called Rave by the uninitiated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

that was uk garage youre thinking of

double 99 wouldve been speed garage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Seanie M wrote: »
    Having a gander through my collection earlier, picking out some really proper old school stuff as I'm supposed to be working, I thought to myself, with the way genres have changed and adapted to tastes for over a decade and a half, what would constitute Rave against what some my think is a Speed Garage track?

For example, if I was to whip up a rave mix tape (think Old Skool, MP3 wasn't even given the acronym it has), I'd come up with:

Alien Factory - Tomorrow
    Prodigy - Out of Space
    Circuit - Transport of Love*
    Westbam - Celebration Generation*
    Scooter - Back in Time
    Prodigy - Everybody's in the Place
    Smart E's - Sesame Street
    Jam & Spoon - Say Yes (To Another Excess)*
    Legend B - Lost in Love*
    Marusha - Go Ahead*
    Scooter - Friends
    Ultra Sonic - Dreamers of Dreams
    Altern-8 - Evapor-8*
    Nostrum - Brainchild

However, tracks marked * might be Speed Garage or Fast/Hard Trance. What would you think? Rave used to be classed as 150+BPM, but sometimes some like e.g. Bassheads "Is there anybody out there?" at c. 125+BPM get lobbed into the Rave category.

Remember, most of this is probably based on opinion, so there's no wrong answer (save the smart alec remarks). Feel free to post your favourite Rave track too.

Seanie.

ok ill have to reply here, most of those tunes are not "Rave" and shouldn't really be labelled as such (no offence)

Speed Garage has nothing really in common with Old Skool Rave/Hardcore except using that genres samples.;)

Alien Factory - Tomorrow - Old Skool Trance
    Prodigy - Out of Space - Old Skool Rave/Hardcore
    Circuit - Transport of Love* Old Skool Trance
    Westbam - Celebration Generation* Old Skool Euro Techno
    Scooter - Back in Time = cheesy rubbish
    Prodigy - Everybody's in the Place - Old Skool Rave/Hardcore
    Smart E's - Sesame Street - Cheesy rubbish
    Jam & Spoon - Say Yes (To Another Excess)* Old Skool Trance
    Legend B - Lost in Love* Old Skool Techno
    Marusha - Go Ahead* = Cheesy rubbish
    Scooter - Friends = Cheesy rubbish
    Ultra Sonic - Dreamers of Dreams = Bouncy Scottish Techno
    Altern-8 - Evapor-8* Old Skool Rave/Hardcore
    Nostrum - Brainchild = Old Skool Techno

IMO If your going to put together an Old Skool Rave set you can either...

(A) Go for the big anthems like... (ill just pick 5 from each)

1-Awesome 3 - Don't Go
    2-Shades of Rhythm---Sound of Eden
    3-Altern 8 - E-vapor-8
    4-SL2 - On A Ragga Tip
    5-The Prodigy - Charly

(B) The Underground selection

1-Hackney Hardcore - Dancehall Dangerous
    2-Nebula 11 - Seance / Atheama
    3-DJ Scoobie - Mash Up The Speakers
    4-Q-Bass - Hardcore Will Never Die
    5-DMS - Exterminate

;)

This is a serious serious tune,samples LFO, you should hear this over a big fu*k off sound system absolutely awesome,underground Hardcore of the highest calibre.

NEBULA II ATHEAMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyowsBWbAm8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

jonny68 wrote: »
    ok ill have to reply here, most of those tunes are not "Rave" and shouldn't really be labelled as such (no offence)

Speed Garage has nothing really in common with Old Skool Rave/Hardcore except using that genres samples.;)

Alien Factory - Tomorrow - Old Skool Trance
    Prodigy - Out of Space - Old Skool Rave/Hardcore
    Circuit - Transport of Love* Old Skool Trance
    Westbam - Celebration Generation* Old Skool Euro Techno
    Scooter - Back in Time = cheesy rubbish
    Prodigy - Everybody's in the Place - Old Skool Rave/Hardcore
    Smart E's - Sesame Street - Cheesy rubbish
    Jam & Spoon - Say Yes (To Another Excess)* Old Skool Trance
    Legend B - Lost in Love* Old Skool Techno
    Marusha - Go Ahead* = Cheesy rubbish
    Scooter - Friends = Cheesy rubbish
    Ultra Sonic - Dreamers of Dreams = Bouncy Scottish Techno
    Altern-8 - Evapor-8* Old Skool Rave/Hardcore
    Nostrum - Brainchild = Old Skool Techno

No offense taken johnny. You see, you're kind of proving a point with your 'corrections'. I would never myself, for a second, thought of Prodigy - Everybody's in the Place as Hardcore. Think of the era it was released. Hardcore was Binman, (some of) Ultra Sonic, and (some of) DJ Hixxy and Sharkey, for example. Some of it was called Happy Hardcore (I have them on old tapes as such). TODAY, it would be called something different.

Seanie.

Seanie M wrote: »
    No offense johnny. You see, you're kind of proving a point with your 'corrections'. I would never myself, for a second, thought of Prodigy - Everybody's in the Place as Hardcore. Think of the era it was released. Hardcore was Binman, (some of) Ultra Sonic, and (some of) DJ Hixxy and Sharkey, for example. Some of it was called Happy Hardcore (I have them on old tapes as such). TODAY, it would be called something different.

Seanie.

Binman played bouncy Scottish Techno and Gabba it wasn't classified as Hardcore.

What else could you describe everybody in the place as?It is Rave/Hardcore, it wouldn't be the most underground Hardcore track but it's still categorised as Hardcore nonetheless,Hixxy and Sharkey are just cheesemeisters,i actually like a lot of the 94 Happy sound but after that it got too cheesy.

http://www.discogs.com/release/6316

Advertisement