Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting my first tattoo.....aaaaahhhhhhh

Options
  • 09-06-2009 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hey,

I have finally booked my appointment to have my first Tattoo done in 2 weeks......I have been looking forward to having this done for years :D(wanted to make sure that i really wanted it).

It is a Maori influenced one and I was so excited the morning when I made the appointment but now I am already nervous about it :eek: ......is this normal for your first tattoo????

any thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Yes, very normal, but once the tattoo is finnished you will wonder what the fuss was about and be looking to book the next appointment ASAP. Its a little bug some people can get for tattoos.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

There is nothing worse than looking at the tattoo when it's half done and thinking "what the hell am I doing?!" :p

Don't worry, if you've thought about it for years then you'll know its the right one for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 alancork1987

Def agree wit Dancor.
    I was freaking before i got mine. wandered in and straight back out the first day. then just said what the hell and went in.
    i got my first one on my rib cage, the reaction of the tattooist was one of " are u sure, thats really really going to hurt"
    BOLLOX, it didt hurt at all, all it felt like was someone drawing on me with a normal ball point pen.
    Next ones going on my shoulder, booked already :D:D:D i only have my other one a month :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Dtab

Cheers guys.......that makes me feel much better. I am starting to look forward to it again now.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Apprehension is very normal for anything new/exciting happening in your life. Especially a tattoo. I remember before getting mine I was a nervous wreck! There are a lot of "what ifs" regarding time, pain etc. But the key thing is to just stay calm and enjoy the moment and it'll be no time before you have what you've wanted on your skin!

Best of luck and be sure to talk out proper aftercare (Cof bephanten endcof), with the artist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

Hi Dtab, i was the same today before i got mine done, was shaking with nervous, more of the needle than the pain, i don't mind pain but needles i fear:eek:

when i seen the needle i froze but it was grand, i didn't mind it at all once it started. think it helped that my friend came in with me to chat so i'd be distracted.

I got mine on the foot too, they were asking me also was i sure i wanted mine on the foot for my first tattoo. Well i'll tell you i love it and i'd do it again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

Perfectly normal to feel that way. I still get butterflies in my stomach when I go to get a piece done. I've been tattooed 6 times and anyone that tells you it didn't hurt is lying through their teeth. The outline will hurt more then the colouring though - so it's nice when that part is out of the way.

Don't drink the night before as it will thin out your blood and create more of a mess for the artist - thus taking longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

squidgey wrote: »
    Perfectly normal to feel that way. I still get butterflies in my stomach when I go to get a piece done. I've been tattooed 6 times and anyone that tells you it didn't hurt is lying through their teeth. The outline will hurt more then the colouring though - so it's nice when that part is out of the way.

Don't drink the night before as it will thin out your blood and create more of a mess for the artist - thus taking longer.

Yeah i'd have to agree with this, the outlining was sorer than the colouring in, but it is bearable. Good luck with getting your tattoo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Depends on the colouring... if it's solid colouring it can hurt just as much or more as it needs to be put in nice and deep...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dingdong1

you'll be grand! what studio are you getting tattooed in??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Dtab

dingdong1 wrote: »
    you'll be grand! what studio are you getting tattooed in??

Getting it done in ALLSTAR ink in Limerick......Having been really looking forward to it agin now......just want to get it done now

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

So everyones saying it's normal to be worried about the pain, but is it normal to be worried that your gonna regret getting a tattoo, or the design or placement? Cos I worry about that far more than the pain...you think thats a sign i shouldn't get my first one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jenvalo

hey, i know every time i go in to get a tattoo i always have the butterflies in tummy feeling, even hearing the noise of the needle makes me feel like that! if you are still wary about what design you are getting or where you are placing it then i would be inclined to think hard about it before you do anything....that said, i always have an idea for stuff i want to get done, these kinda evolve in my head til i get something definite, a small part of you will always think- is this the right thing but to be honest, the guy i always go to always has an input also and gives his advice, the end result being amazing and always different to what i originally had in my head!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If you're still not 100% certain about the design or the placement, then you're not ready to get the tattoo, and should really wait till you are completely sure about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 celica00wd

dancor wrote: »
    Yes, very normal, but once the tattoo is finnished you will wonder what the fuss was about and be looking to book the next appointment ASAP. Its a little bug some people can get for tattoos.

I agree i was so excitesd about getting mine, and althought contrary to what people say,i got mine on my back and the pain was incredible....

im mad to get another one now!!!!

Advertisement