Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was scammed...

Options
  • 09-06-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was a victim of the Parish and Bell clinic who made outlandish claims regarding orthotics to fix foot problems. I spent over 2,700 on custom orthotics that were absolute rubbish.

Having investigated the person behind the company and through various podiatry forums, I have discovered him to be known in the trade for scams and exaggerating both his medical history and claims of success.

Well, the Parish & Bell clinic went bankrupt, costing what appears to be hundreds of people a lot of money. He has now set up a new clinic under a different name offering the same services.

Now that I know where he is, do I have any legal right to chase my money, and are there any civil compensation claims that I could pursue.?

Thanks in advance
    Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If his original company was limited, then no. However, if he was the head of a company that went bankrupt, then I don't think he's allowed to sit as head of a new company for a period of some years. Someone else will probably correct me on that if I'm wrong. If I'm right, then you still couldn't pursue him, but you could report him (not sure where) for starting the new company when he's barred from doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You need to ask a lawyer. You may be able to get free legal advice on this even. I would consult a lawyer rather then the internet tbh.

DeV.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

DeVore wrote: »
    You need to ask a lawyer. You may be able to get free legal advice on this even. I would consult a lawyer rather then the internet tbh.

DeV.

Agreed,
    you'd be a very foolish person to take legal advice from any person on the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Hi,
    Having investigated the person behind the company and through various podiatry forums, I have discovered him to be known in the trade for scams and exaggerating both his medical history and claims of success.

Well, the Parish & Bell clinic went bankrupt, costing what appears to be hundreds of people a lot of money. He has now set up a new clinic under a different name offering the same services.

Now that I know where he is, do I have any legal right to chase my money, and are there any civil compensation claims that I could pursue.?

Thanks in advance
    Paul

If it was a limited company you can get details of the liquidation via the cro website - might cost €3 to download liquidators report. The report should state whether the directors of parish & bell were restricted or banned. - Being banned is rare and a liquidator must show fradulent trading. Being restricted is applied a lot more and the restriction means that the company must have €63,000 in paid up share capital before the restricted person can be a director.

In reality, the only thing you can do is to inform the Irish medical Borad of his activities and advertising standards authority if the advertising is incorrect.

As for trying to get a refund - unfortunately this would be impossible unless you could prove fraudulent trading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement