Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Arts Festival 2009 - You Ready?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

Will there be any nice boats?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Melty wrote: »
    Bit of a deal-breaker for me too I'm afraid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Meh.
    Melty wrote: »

No, but lots of horses, helicopters... Oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'd rather an airshow myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭sam69

Volvo was a great success, but can't wait for Primal Scream, David Holmes & Spiritualized gig in Big Top. Booker T & NY Dolls rare treat also.

• Advertisement

Prices for the bands are quite expensive, 37 euro for the NY Dolls in the Roisin is a bit of a joke. The place is too small for gigs and you spent more of the night being pushed around trying to keep your pint from spilling all over the place than you do enjoying hte music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Prices for the bands are quite expensive, 37 euro for the NY Dolls in the Roisin is a bit of a joke. The place is too small for gigs and you spent more of the night being pushed around trying to keep your pint from spilling all over the place than you do enjoying hte music.

Can't agree more with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Bands set ticket prices, not venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I like the buzz around Arts Week but I agree that the prices are steep. Was dying to see Phillip Glass last year but couldn't justify the 60-75 euro price tag.

m83 wrote: »

While there is soem truth in that the promotors and record company and the main decision makers when it comes to pricing a gig. To see the NY Dolls in Finland in a decent sized venue is 30 euro a far more appropriate price it must be said. The Roisin is a terrible venue for gigs, the arts festival could easily put the Dolls in the big tent and allow them to do an actual proper show rather than a joke of a set with terrrible cound and such a cramped venue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

m83 wrote: »

No Promoters and or Managers set prices with the Venue not the Band, they get a percentage as will the Venue

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Think the quality of performers at the arts festival has declined dramatically in recent years. Having David Grey as a headline act is a joke. 10 years ago he may have been worthwhile but not anymore. The whole programme is poor and getting worse by the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

They really should take a few tips from the guys running the Marquee in Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

mars bar wrote: »
    They really should take a few tips from the guys running the Marquee in Cork...

Explain please. No David Grey then?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

ahhh please not bloddy david grey!!!!

I can hear the same sound from a heard of sheep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

dec25532 wrote: »
    Think the quality of performers at the arts festival has declined dramatically in recent years. Having David Grey as a headline act is a joke. 10 years ago he may have been worthwhile but not anymore. The whole programme is poor and getting worse by the year.

Primal Scream in Galway is above & beyond the call of duty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Couldnt disagree with you more, this years lineup esp music and comedy is excellent.

The whole point of something like the arts festival is to get to see bands that you wouldnt normally get in Galway or perhaps think about seeing. If you just want big names etc then go to Oxygene, Electric Picnic etc.
    Music is all about discovering bands or a sound not just following the herd.
    One of the best gigs I went to last year was the Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir in Cuba, had never heard them before but preferred it to any of the 'big' gigs I went to over the last 12months.

Ok the ticket prices for some gigs are pricey, though again I disagree with other posters in that I would take seeing the Dolls for example in a little venue with a great atmosphere than a larger venue.

You want to go and see the NY Dolls and just stand around listening to the music? For gods sake man how old are you :D, the Dolls are not exactly virtuoso musicians, its all about the energy and jumping around :p

I'd be inclined to agree with Webbs. Its not about bringing headline names to the city, it is an Arts festival after all, not some MCD-run rock festival (MCD, it feels weird to say it again ;) )

Explain please. No David Grey then?

They had Meat Loaf, Elton John, Eric Clapton and Shayne Ward. I have seen the first two already and would go again in a heartbeat. Eric Clapton I would gladly see. Wouldn't pay a cent to see Shayne Ward but I know it would sell in no time. They are bringing Rod Stewart (who I'd also like to see and so would many others) and The Prodigy this year, both should do well in ticket sales. Dolly Parton played and she puts on a great show from what I have heard. Boyzone should do really well. I believe The Who and Slayer played in 2007. The Who would have been class to see.

Now please don't tell me that the Galway Arts Fest isn't lacking on the big music stage...

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree with Webbs. Its not about bringing headline names to the city, it is an Arts festival after all, not some MCD-run rock festival (MCD, it feels weird to say it again ;) )

Yes but they have to justify the running costs...I doubt David Gray is going to do that.

The Roisin Dubh is there to find new acts. Can we please have some big name reliables?!

But that's not the point, it shouldn't be about big pop names! Its an ARTS festival, not a music festival. E.g. a big name in the arts music world is Kronos Quartet and they're playing. Phillip Glass played last year, and he is one of the most widely known composers of the last 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Delighted Primal Scream are coming, I'll go & see them for sure.

But in general, I'm with the guys who say it's an arts festival, not Monsters of Rock!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah because if music is popular it's not artistic :rolleyes:

Das Kitty wrote: »

Thats not true either but there is a big distinction between the worlds of popular music and art music/other art forms, and the arts festival is supposed to mostly cater for the latter. There are still plenty of decent mainstream music names to rock out to anyway, I think they strike a pretty good balance between satisfying goatee-stroking velvet-trousered "arty" types, and Roisin Dubh-going music fans ;)

Das Kitty wrote: »

Bu this isnt a music festival for the usual 18-35 age group and as a result they have tried to get a wide range of acts a lot who are very popular acts in their respective sphere of music - Kronos, music from penguin cafe, Femi Kuti, Spanish Harlem Orchestra just as an example.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Lads ye can argue all ye want, but David Gray is playing. Again.

If he's OK why can't we have someone more popular instead? Why not someone like David Byrne or Sigur Rós who are definitely more arty than David Gray and prove that you can be arty and popular.

I'm not looking for an Oxegen (ooh I said it!) lineup but just something that Galway doesn't usually get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Bon Iver is the highlight of this year's lineup imo.

Would like to see David Kitt too but he seems to be just supporting David Gray for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

By the way David Grey headlined the Arts Festival in 2006! ....what's he done since?

• Advertisement

Fine I get yer point.

I want a Music Festival Godamnit!! :D

Advertisement