Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Arts Festival 2009 - You Ready?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

These guys are the highlight of the festival for me, and very reasonably priced. The Neil Cowley Trio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Neil Cowley Trio are coming??! :eek: I'm there!!

Neil Cowley Trio and Bon Iver, things looking up! :)

Webbs wrote: »
    You want to go and see the NY Dolls and just stand around listening to the music? For gods sake man how old are you :D, the Dolls are not exactly virtuoso musicians, its all about the energy and jumping around :p

The sarcasm drips from your post. :D HAving seen the Dolls before I can confirm that they're not exactly in the prime of their musical youth and as such their shows these days somewhat resemble watchign a drunk relative doing karaoke at a weddiing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭sam69

Kronos Quartet did soundtrack to Requim for a Dream & The Fountain & Dracula, so thats a bit of a coup for Galway. Was kicking myself I missed Philip Glass last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

cornbb wrote: »
    a big name in the arts music world is Kronos Quartet and they're playing. Phillip Glass played last year, and he is one of the most widely known composers of the last 100 years.

Crap can't believe I missed a fella well over 100 years old playing last year. Jes i thought Tina Turner & Mick Jagger were doing well!!!!;);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Ohhh now I'm seeing Andy McKee on the list!

If you haven't seen this Youtube legend, give it a watch:

I wonder could we get "We Banjo 3" and "No Banjo" to do Dualing Banjos - would be great!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have seen Andy McKee on Youtube and he is very good!
    Might go to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Would like to go see Candy Statton too, just not sure I want to pay over €30 to see her in Roisin's (feck it I probably will though;))...t'is a pity there aren't more indoor music venues, I think the Warwick would be a better location for a lot of these gigs but I guess that's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mars bar wrote: »
    Fine I get yer point.

I want a Music Festival Godamnit!! :D

Patience, patience.

Firstly we got a horse festival (started a long time ago). Then an arts festival. Then oysters. Boats has been run once, hopefully there will be something every June bank holiday. Music would seem like a good candidate for the next new one. Just so long as it draws the tourists in!

(I've assumed oysters came after arts. Don't really know, could have been the other way around.)

JustMary wrote: »
    Patience, patience.

Firstly we got a horse festival (started a long time ago). Then an arts festival. Then oysters. Boats has been run once, hopefully there will be something every June bank holiday. Music would seem like a good candidate for the next new one. Just so long as it draws the tourists in!

(I've assumed oysters came after arts. Don't really know, could have been the other way around.)

I try to be patient but I can't. I'm fed up of travelling across, up or down the country for gigs. Thank God for Thomond Park down the road which looks like it could be up for a few more than 2 gigs next year seeing as Elton John went so well and hopefully Rod Stewart will too.

But they had Bryan Adams and Westlife in Pearse Stadium and Westlife did really well even in atrocious weather! I can't see why they can't do it!!

Even Bundoran have made some attempt at bringing big name acts to their town!!

:mad:

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »

Even Bundoran have made some attempt at bringing big name acts to their town!!

:mad:

Now, I hope you arent suggesting we turn Galway into Daniel O' Donnellsville!
    :)

sam69 wrote: »
    Now, I hope you arent suggesting we turn Galway into Daniel O' Donnellsville!
    :)

God no :eek:, I hate that man! I'm saying that somewhere that can hail a plank like Daniel O' Donnell can get big acts to play there! Come on Galway, "Let's Do It!".

Hell Yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Foxerella

Just got my Primal Scream ticket, Yay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Foxerella wrote: »
    Just got my Primal Scream ticket, Yay! :D

Found out at the w/end that I'll have visitors from the States the night Primal Scream are playing. And they're far from being Primal Scream fans.:mad:

Still, I hear Booker T is bringing some rocking backing musicians, so maybe I'll settle for that.
    Not much else there music wise that interests me,tbh.

big b wrote: »
    Still, I hear Booker T is bringing some rocking backing musicians, so maybe I'll settle for that.

Booker T's a legend but 45 Euro is a bit steep for the Roisin Dubh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Booker T's a legend but 45 Euro is a bit steep for the Roisin Dubh

I wouldn't be the biggest fan of the Roisin, but having paid €60 + booking fee to see Zappa Plays Zappa in Vicar Street puts 45 for Booker in a better perspective!

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Shame Andy McKee is way out in cloughanover, and on Monday the 13th. I wont be making an appearance back in galway til maybe Wednesday.

Whens the best time to head down if only for 4 or 5 days? (atmosphere, and entertainment wise).

Can you buy tickets for events on the day, or a day or two beforehand? Thinking of going to Tommy Tiernan one of the days, I assume with so many dates theres bound to be some tickets.... is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

The whole festival is a joke. A chance for inflated ticket prices, and a town full of tossers. They should run another festival against it.
    Will boycott it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Project '06 really upped the ante..perhaps it needs something similar next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

great buzz round town so far in the week,, tommy tiernan sold out all nights pretty quick.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Just came back from Kronos Quartet at the Radisson. Brilliant show, ticket prices were steep as usual but well worth it.

cornbb wrote: »
    Just came back from Kronos Quartet at the Radisson. Brilliant show, ticket prices were steep as usual but well worth it.

Cr*p:eek: - wanted to see them, time just jumped and we are in the Festival already. The Fleadh ate my days something fierce:rolleyes: Have to seriously look at the Fest Prog tomorrow.

Parade on Sunday too..can't believe it's that time already!

David Holmes pulled out of Primal Scream/Spiritualized gig... Shame that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

David Holmes pulled out of Primal Scream/Spiritualized gig... Shame that

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Looking forward to the parade on Sunday. Anyone know what time about it'll be kicking off? Had a great time at it last year.

kraggy wrote: »
    Why?

No reason given. Guess he didn't want to be the meat in the scream spiritualized sandwich. :)

Worst thing about Festival week so far was the way it was hijacked by those hard line pro lifers on first day of fest. They woulndt be allowed do it during the races.

toiletduck wrote: »
    Looking forward to the parade on Sunday. Anyone know what time about it'll be kicking off? Had a great time at it last year.

Realistically 10.30 or so I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

No reason given. Guess he didn't want to be the meat in the scream spiritualized sandwich. :)

Worst thing about Festival week so far was the way it was hijacked by those hard line pro lifers on first day of fest. They woulndt be allowed do it during the races.

Aw I can't belive I missed it.

Would have loved to have chased them around with coat hangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Was thinking of going to the parade for picture takin', but was wondering, how crowded are the streets? Wanted to test out fancy tripod dealy with fireworks too, but, no idear if I'd be able to get a decent spot for it...

Advertisement