Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skin condition

Options
  • 09-06-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

What can we add to dog food to improve their skin condition please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭reality

if you're using a high quality food, you shouldn't have to add anything!! how and ever, you can buy coat supplements (e.g. omega aid by nutriscience - have used this myself, it's pricey but gives amazing results) from most vets and even some pet shops, but if you're strapped for cash, cod liver oil is a great source of omega-3's which are beneficial to dogs skin and hair :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

I recently read an article that says dogs do not have enough fat in their diet as they are mostly fed dry food and that adding oil helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pukeymcpukerson

depends on wheter the dog already has an underlying condition tbh. if it does it may need vet supplements if not then a good reputable dry food should have good sources of oil and viamins necessary for a healthy coat and skin.. hills, leader, propac, royal canin etc. all available at a good pet shop or vet clinic:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tom123456

I don't feed the really pricey ones. And find all my dogs are doing good on the brand I'm using.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Every now and then you can give them tinned tuna or tinned salmon, in oil only not in brine as it's too salty, fish oil is very good for a dog's coats. You can also buy supplements at pet stores to give improved coat, though I tend to add the fish and my little fella has lovely coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

reality wrote: »
    cod liver oil is a great source of omega-3's which are beneficial to dogs skin and hair :)

i found this was realy ood when I just wanted to get a shine/sleekness on my dogs coat, he was on the right food btu i just didnt think there was high enough oil content, cod liver oil worked a dream ;)

Shouldnt use too much, generally a teaspoon in the evening meal did the job

However if your dogs coatis not healthy and the dog is not well in himself it could be needing a trip to the vet possibly?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If your dog has a skin condition, you'll most likely have to out it on a strict anti-allergy diet. Has your vet recommended any brand yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye I would check their diet and surroundings first.
    My Lhasa pup started having really flakey itchy scalp, so we changed her food and have been giving her codliver oil /evening primrose oil on her food once a day. Just one of the tiny capsules sprinkled over. It's really helped her fur and her skin is slowly improving, we might need to change food again though.

Also if you're giving the dog any treats, a lot are lactose intolerant, or allergic to certain things, and even sometimes the detergent you wash things they may lie on can affect them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

I've heard eggs aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

What can we add to dog food to improve their skin condition please?

It depends what the skin condition is.

Some times, the food you are feeding your dog could be the cause of these conditions.

You can see a special animal dermatologist if you are really worried, who can do tests etc and advise on a course of treatment.
    Your insurance will cover it (it can be expensive!) No harm contacting your vet to put you in contact with one at least to get an idea of costs involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 twinkie

My little fella had terrible skin conditions when he was younger. The vet gave him steroids and medicated wash but nothing seemed to work. We brought him to another vet who told us to try change his food. He was on Arden Grange so we switched to Royal Canin and he healed up perfectly. His skin is perfect now.

Advertisement