Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing back the VOR

Options
  • 09-06-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

It was a great two weeks and iv never seen crowds or atmosphere like it around the town.

I know its a long way off at the moment but i believe that the next race is on in the year 2011/2012. I am assuming that Galway will be bidding to host another leg of it at this time. The people behind 'Lets do it Galway' deserve huge credit for the job they did. It was a superb two weeks. Galway would in the future have a serious pitch to make to the organizers of the VOR, By all accounts the crowds of this size were unseen before in VOR histrory. I believe cities like Dublin and Cork are expressing an interest in hosting it in the future. The one big advantage that we have on Cork and Dublin is that our docks are right in the middle of the city, just a two minute walk from Eyre Square, there are very few citys that are this lucky. In cork i assume they would have to go to Cobh, i may be wrong but Cork is a couple of miles from the the sea. Dublin is Dublin, a awfull ****ehole and the docks in Dublin are about 2 to three miles away from the city centre (as anyone who has gone to the point would tell ya). So what i am saying is that if the will is there, there is no reason why Galway wouldn't have the VOR back in a couple of years. Of course an Irish boat would need to be entered into the race again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

cityman 18 wrote: »
    the docks in Dublin are about 2 to three miles away from the city centre

They would be based along the Quayside in Dublin all along the Liffey, the Docklands area you mention in Dublin is for crossings to the UK and for general shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Surely this belongs in the big VOR thread???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

tbh, we don't need a massive event to recreate some of the atmosphere.

for me, the biggest message the VOR got across was

a) a 'pretty' the docks can be
    b) how the zoning in the city is freaking awful.

What i really want to see is all commercial shipping removed from the docks, keep it as a marina, and then turn the entire front facing onto the docks into a kinda of cobblestone plaza. you could even move the Saturday market down to where the marquis were, and even make the stalls a permanent fixture.

in the long term I'd really like to see the Docks road pedestrianised, but this would hinge of course on the building of an outerbypass to relieve the traffic elsewhere.

i know this has all been said and planned before, but it really should happen now. besides, the recession would be a great time for it. Reinvestment in the construction industry, brighten the image of the city centre and make the city even more attractive to tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

They would have to close roads adjacent to the Liffey.

Can you imagine the chaos that would bring? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

would they consider the city so soon after, great craic and all, but they prob want to spread it around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    would they consider the city so soon after, great craic and all, but they prob want to spread it around

Rumor has it the polacks want it next, seems dell ain't enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

I read or heard somewhere that Galway and belfast are after it for 2011/2012. There are also 81 ports looking for it around the world so it will be tough. The main thing in Galways favour is the outstanding success of the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

It was good to see some of the sailors blogs on the VOR site saying that they would have no objection to the race coming back to Galway. A thumbs up from them presumably has a bit of sway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

one of the prerequisites of being a stopover port is that there must be an entry into the race. so when Lets Do It were doin their thang it was determined by their ability to get the Green Dragon into the race. So as long as the recession is over and people have money to spend on a new entry then Galway is in with a much better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Galway , belfast and cork are bidding for it the next time..

buit seeing as belfast and cork are both not only trade but passenger ports it would be harder for them to close the port for the time required... also cork harbour doesnt have the required depth (and before you start jumping down my throat i mean the marina port not the shipping port which will never close to the VOR) at its port and the only place they could go is up the river which limits the access to the crowds of people here..

so unless somewhere builds a specific port for the VOR's arrival theer is a very good chance of it being back in Galway.. we just have to be sure that theer is an Irish entrant in the next VOR ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Galway , belfast and cork are bidding for it the next time..

buit seeing as belfast and cork are both not only trade but passenger ports it would be harder for them to close the port for the time required... also cork harbour doesnt have the required depth (and before you start jumping down my throat i mean the marina port not the shipping port which will never close to the VOR) at its port and the only place they could go is up the river which limits the access to the crowds of people here..

so unless somewhere builds a specific port for the VOR's arrival theer is a very good chance of it being back in Galway.. we just have to be sure that theer is an Irish entrant in the next VOR ;)

But are there applicants in the UK? I heard again somewhere a good while ago that Falmouth were thinking of applying after the success of the Tall Ships race last year. Still hope its Galway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Belfast wil be celebrating the centenary of the Titanic's construction, and the £6.5billion 'Titanic Quarter' regeneration project in the city wil be completed (there was a story in the City Tibune around the end of last year when Let's Do It Galway confirmed they would be idding to host it again ... can't find it online).

My money's on Belfast. Pity.

EDIT: This'll do: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/1017/1224108325156.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

soundbyte wrote: »
    Belfast wil be celebrating the centenary of the Titanic's construction,

That's hardly anything to be celebrating, didn't they use weaker steel than what was on the plans and less rivets, which could have contributed to Titanics "cough" issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Nerer mind the VOR the Oil Tanks are coming back :eek:

Or at least part of them, in the shape of a sculpture in the docks. :pac:

Advertisement