Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creaking floorboards and carpet

Options
  • 09-06-2009 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭

I'm moving into an oldish house, and the floorboards in the upstairs bedrooms are quite creaky.
    I'm guessing to fix this I need to get at the floorboards, and either nail or screw them down properly.
    Only problem is there's a carpet up there, and I want to keep it.
    Is there anyway I can remove the carpet to get at the floorboards without damaging it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭hippychippy

If you use number 3's or thinner, you can screw through the carpet without damaging it. The trick is to know where the joists are positioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

Yes, I thought about that too, but came up with the same problem.
    Not sure how I could find out where they are joined...

You can pick up a joist/stud finder. A electric sensor that beeps when you are over a stud/joist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

Oh cool, didn't know that. I think I might try that instead of trying to remove the carpet.
    Thanks for the tip!

Welcome

• Advertisement
Advertisement