Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BNP Protest

Options
  • 09-06-2009 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Just saw the BNP leader getting pelted with eggs. Its a shame they threw eggs at him. The chanting of "Nazi Scum" would have stopped the speech anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Yeah, they were out of order with the eggs.

They should have instead showed the BNP up for the fools they are, by exposing there policies and there racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Modo_09

He then goes and shows up to sky news with his egg stained suit, like people should be feeling sorry for him. They are getting so much publicity from this. They are are on all the news websites today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Everyone has the right to free speech, despite how ridiculous their views.

The irony here is that these egg throwers are the very ones acting like Nazis by curtailing views foreign to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

turgon wrote: »
    Everyone has the right to free speech, despite how ridiculous their views.

Erm, ever heard of laws relating to "incitement to hatred" or "incitement to violence"

Like all "rights", they come (or at least should come) with responsibility to use them properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Erm, ever heard of laws relating to "incitement to hatred" or "incitement to violence"

Like all "rights", they come (or at least should come) with responsibility to use them properly.
    And it's not up to an egg-throwing mob to decide how the rights should be used.

I'm happy a group were willing to go and protest, point out (rightfully) that the BNP are "Nazi Scum", but throwing eggs at the man to disrupt his speech just gives him the high ground to claim that his opponents are criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Pygmalion wrote: »
    And it's not up to an egg-throwing mob to decide how the rights should be used.

I'm happy a group were willing to go and protest, point out (rightfully) that the BNP are "Nazi Scum", but throwing eggs at the man to disrupt his speech just gives him the high ground to claim that his opponents are criminals.

Yes...I'm in two minds on this one, caused primarily by the fact that he is the closest fit to "nazi scum" to be targeted by the insult in recent years. On the other hand Tony Blair deserved that treatment and far harsher over the Iraq war but didn't get it, so it gives Griffin the appearance of being treated over harshly.....

Tis aw a muddle.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Ever hear of due process? If he's inciting hatred then he should be prosecuted in a court of law, not by mob rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

when is he not inciting hatred?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

I agree the protest would have been better without the egg. But didn't John Prescott get hit with an egg during an election campaign and everyone thought he deserved it? I kinda feel theirs a strange, over sympathetic reaction to it. That Nick Griffin is taking full advantage of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    I agree the protest would have been better without the egg. But didn't John Prescott get hit with an egg during an election campaign and everyone thought he deserved it? I kinda feel theirs a strange, over sympathetic reaction to it. That Nick Griffin is taking full advantage of.

I remember that, everyone thought prescott was a legend.
    prescott_punch1SKY410x309.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

As much as I hate the BNP, I don't think the egg throwing was right. Like it or not (and I don't), they were democratically elected and have to be treated as such.
    The BNP need to be actively engaged in a sensible debate to show up their ridiculous policies for what they are.

Over-emotional reactions like this will just backfire, because Griffin comes off as some sort of repressed hero.

Which is the last thing the protesters would want.

Acacia wrote: »
    As much as I hate the BNP, I don't think the egg throwing was right. Like it or not (and I don't), they were democratically elected and have to be treated as such.
    The BNP need to be actively engaged in a sensible debate to show up their ridiculous policies for what they are.

Over-emotional reactions like this will just backfire, because Griffin comes off as some sort of repressed hero.

Which is the last thing the protesters would want.

I agree with that and it is something that I don't think the mainstream media has done well enough. The interviews I've seen over the last few days with the BNP have been pretty poor. They seem to be struggling to pin them down to make sure they can't worm their way around the question.

Watching Channel 4 news yesterday, Krishnan Guru Murthy asked Brons, has any asian and black people made a worthy contribution to British society. He struggled to answer, then mumbled something about "they'd made certain benefits, yes". Typical evasive answer but he wasn't made to expalin that comment , he just moved on to the next question.

Boston wrote: »
    I remember that, everyone thought prescott was a legend.
    prescott_punch1SKY410x309.jpg

It was a crackin' gab from Prezzie:P

Point is no one really gave a feck he got hit with an egg. I'm sure I've heard of other politicians being hit with a egg of having something thrown at them without much sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    I agree with that and it is something that I don't think the mainstream media has did well enough. The interviews I've seen over the last few days with the BNP have been pretty poor. They seem to be struggling to pin them done to make sure they can't worm their way around thew question.

Watching Channel 4 news yesterday, Krishnan Guru Murthy asked Brons, has any asian and black people made a worthy contribution to British society. He struggled to answer, then mumbled something about "they'd made certain benefits, yes". Typical evasive answer but he wasn't made to expalin that comment , he just moved on to the next question.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.They should be held accountable for every ridiculous remark they make and made to explain them. Maybe people will see them for what they really are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

pictures here

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

As long as their scum baggery stays away from here I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I just watched the video clip of the incident and Griffin is smiling away in it. This UAF group are giving the BNP exactly what they want - publicity, and tbh the UAF leader came across like an idiot on channel 4 news tonight.These tactics are ridiculous - the best way to deal with the BNP is to let them debate. They have come across as total idiots in every clip Ive seen of them so far, so im sure politicians from other parties could run rings around them in intelligent debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

asdasd wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised to see it's a bunch of white, middle class studenty types who are protesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I didn't hear any complaints when eggs were thrown at the Bank of Ireland EGM :p I don't think the incident "playing into the hands of the BNP" really matters, as a party would need much more than a sympathy vote to get more than a few strays elected. It is interesting to note that there are never any protests at hard-left meetings etc. though...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Rb wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised to see it's a bunch of white, middle class studenty types who are protesting?

Thats the first thing I noticed tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

'Cus loike, we haaaaaave to protest against these evil people', for they will achieve a lot....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

Yeah like that Sophie Scholl :rolleyes:, sure why dont they just let the BNP in and what a wonderful day it would be, oh by the way trailerparkboy you are some gob****e, these people are the kind who are great humans, you are a failure of humanity a disgrace to humankind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The only thing that worries me about the BNP is if they show up on a political show and the other parties are caught off-guard. I mean sometimes watching Question Time on BBC the reps the parties send have no debating skills whatsoever, and though it shouldn't take much to show the BNP up, I wouldn't have too much confidence in a lot of them.

Also, meh about the egg thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

SteKelly wrote:
    Thats the first thing I noticed tbh.
    'Cus loike, we haaaaaave to protest against these evil people', for they will achieve a lot....

Indeed. I particularly liked the one with a bunch of white, middle class people (mainly studenty types) and a black guy on a megaphone. "Look! Look! We have a black guy and he objects! He f**king objects!"

I may be wrong but surely there are more than enough non-white, non-middle class people who the BNP "target" that could have formed a protest, as opposed to leaving it to a bunch of liberal kids with PC ideals.
    Yeah like that Sophie Scholl :rolleyes:, sure why dont they just let the BNP in and what a wonderful day it would be,
    A small protest comprising mainly of white, middle class college students will do nothing, it will in no way keep the BNP "out". Pelting them with eggs does nothing. Yet, these protesters couldn't even realise that.

oh by the way trailerparkboy you are some gob****e, these people are the kind who are great humans, you are a failure of humanity a disgrace to humankind.

Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

I didn't hear any complaints when eggs were thrown at the Bank of Ireland EGM :p I don't think the incident "playing into the hands of the BNP" really matters, as a party would need much more than a sympathy vote to get more than a few strays elected. It is interesting to note that there are never any protests at hard-left meetings etc. though...

I don't think there was a chance to have a serious debate at the BoI EGM. It was a fait accompli and the small shareholders will never have any chance to debate with the management. On the other hand politics is full of opportunity for debate.

I'd love to know why so many people voted BNP. I wouldn't, but it's something that needs to be looked at. Throwing eggs won't help. As regards iniciting violence, the BNP present a law-abiding public image and I don't recall them ever publically trying to incite violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Acacia wrote: »
    I’d be reluctant to engage a BNP supporter in debate for the same reason I would be reluctant to engage a creationist in debate.
    I particularly liked the one with a bunch of white, middle class people (mainly studenty types) and a black guy on a megaphone. "Look! Look! We have a black guy and he objects! He f**king objects!"

I may be wrong but surely there are more than enough non-white, non-middle class people who the BNP "target" that could have formed a protest, as opposed to leaving it to a bunch of liberal kids with PC ideals.

A small protest comprising mainly of white, middle class college students will do nothing, it will in no way keep the BNP "out". Pelting them with eggs does nothing. Yet, these protesters couldn't even realise that.
    Issues?

You seem to have been blessed with Nick Griffin’s ability to tell an individual’s background simply by looking at them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Probably because you have an awful lot of prejudices, and are never surprised when they are confirmed in your own eyes.

regards,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

So what's the story here then, you can only be black, brown, yellow etc to protest against a racist party ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

donaghs wrote: »
    I don't think there was a chance to have a serious debate at the BoI EGM. It was a fait accompli and the small shareholders will never have any chance to debate with the management. On the other hand politics is full of opportunity for debate.

I'd love to know why so many people voted BNP. I wouldn't, but it's something that needs to be looked at. Throwing eggs won't help. As regards iniciting violence, the BNP present a law-abiding public image and I don't recall them ever publically trying to incite violence.
    most if not all BNP supporters, come from northern cities with high muslim population.these northern cities [i lived in one 2 years ago] have no go areas ,the muslims live close together because of fear, the young both asian and white at times start trouble just for kicks,the older residents are to scared to go out at night. what makes matters worse is that the authorities [police and the local council]seem never to be even handed, often frightened to be called racist-for instance last year in my old town ,on st georges day the town hall always used to put up the st george flag,this year they dident because quote;it may upset the muslim population, yet they had the pakistani flag flying on the town hall on pakistani independence day, no christmas tree or christmas lights last year because of we do not want to upset the muslim population --now i know for a start most of this [middle class white perception] insults any muslim, they never felt threatened ,but the old english dear dose and this leads to a fertile area for racists like the BNP-that is why the BNP was elected from that area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

djpbarry wrote: »
    I’d be reluctant to engage a BNP supporter in debate for the same reason I would be reluctant to engage a creationist in debate.

You don't do it to change their mind. You do it to show the rediculousness of their claims to others.

Advertisement