Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you middle class?

• 09-06-2009 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

<close thread>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

I don't see the point in being bitter about this! Get yourself a part-time job and use the money to go on holidays - you'll appreciate them a lot more when you've actually earned them.

Even better, work to put yourself through college, get a decent job, and a lifetime's worth of good holidays and anything else you feel you were deprived of growing up.

No point blaming your parents; by being born in this country you have every opportunity to work towards your own future regardless of family background (with availability of grants etc.), and it means a whole lot more to you when you've actually earned it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

well horse wrote: »
    Also hate the people on the Leaving Cert forum who think that holidays "arn't expensive". They basically imply that they arn't grateful to get to go on a plane and go to another country wth their friends.
    That kind of annoyed me too, never had any huge money troubles (not exactly money to go throwing around though, at least not recently), but I've always considered holidays to be a huge luxury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I'm not and I hate my parents because of it.

Also hate the people on the Leaving Cert forum who think that holidays "arn't expensive". They basically imply that they arn't grateful to get to go on a plane and go to another country wth their friends.

This isn't trolling, I am serious; just sayingwhat I'm thinking. Oh wait, lower class people don't have feelings. Better just put on my tracksuit and let you look down on me. Droopy eyed, american wanabes.

Eh? That paragraph really fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Also hate the people on the Leaving Cert forum who think that holidays "arn't expensive".
    They're not really, in the sense that with the extremely high prices charged here for accomodation / food / eating out compared to lots of sun holiday destinations, you could easily spend more on a weekend away here than on a week in the sun, provided you don't do stupid things.

I never had much money to throw around either, but I can't say I begrudge the kids a break if they can afford it, and many of them have done a bit of part-time work during the last couple of years to be able to afford it.

Begrudgery does nothing for you but start you on the road to an ulcer!! :D
    They basically imply that they arn't grateful to get to go on a plane and go to another country wth their friends.
    It's the nature of youngsters to take things for granted; for most, their parents will have done their best to protect them from the harsh realities of life until now.

Where I would kind of agree with you is that I think a lot of people in Ireland (not all, certainly) were sheltered from the harsher realities of life over the last few years until the last year or so, and took a lot of things for granted.

I don't think that shock is restricted to 18 year olds though ... in fact, they will probably adapt more easily and quickly than 22 - 32 year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I'd describe myself as upper-working-class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id say im middle class but that really means jack-sh!t
    Ive been working since a week after I turned 16 (7 years.Bugger me :( ) and ive paid for any trips I took and for the vast majority of other luxeries ive had. Your class shouldnt define your attitude towards anything (I know it does with some but it shouldnt.)
    Hows about instead of resenting your parents whove tried to do their best for you, grow up and take on your own responsibilities to get these things.

I'd describe myself as a horny fvcker who works hard to pay his way, and doesn't give a toss what class anyone thinks they are, or thinks anyone else is for that matter ... :D

Most irrelevant thing in the world for someone to be getting their knickers in a knot about tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

A working-class hero is something to be. Working class and proud.

I'd describe myself as a horny fvcker who works hard to pay his way, and doesn't give a toss what class anyone thinks they are, or thinks anyone else is for that matter ... :D

Most irrelevant thing in the world for someone to be getting their knickers in a knot about tbh.

Its not really something I care about either, thats just where I reckon I'd be placed by a sociologist or whoever the hell makes up these terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

i am upper middle class

• Advertisement

i am upper middle class
    Ah, poor baby! :(

Does it hurt much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You should show your parents this thread, see how they react to their son going on the internet on a computer they most likely bought, using an internet connection they most likely pay for, to bitch about them failing their son.

I have seen both sides of the story, first school I went to was quite poor (Economically), had a lot of very poor people attending, some travellers from the local halting sight would come too. Then I moved house and school. I was then stuck into a private school, where I saw some very middle class people who's parents obviously work quite hard to pay the fees (Myself included in that bunch) and the MEGA rich (Had a conversation with a guy {I wont name his dad! You'd probably know of him!} not long after starting in the school, he referred to economy class on planes as luggage class, this was in 4th class!).

I had something to conclude this with, but then I forgot :)

Fad wrote: »
    I had something to conclude this with, but then I forgot :)
    PLEASE don't finish any of your questions in the LC with that! :p:D

PLEASE don't finish any of your questions in the LC with that! :p:D

Might do it in Religion :)

Oh the irony, long winded stories with no conclusions or answers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

Fad wrote: »
    You should show your parents this thread, see how they react to their son going on the internet on a computer they most likely bought, using an internet connection they most likely pay for, to bitch about them failing their son.

I wanted this thread to finish an hour after I started it, but hopefully I can end it by just telling you that I did in fact save up this laptop myself using a small amount of christmas money and a bit of my college grant. and I pay the 30 a month for the internet.

I wanted this thread to finish an hour after I started it, but hopefully I can end it by just telling you that I did in fact save up this laptop myself using a small amount of christmas money and a bit of my college grant. and I pay the 30 a month for the internet.

Yes, because that's how Boards works, someone comes on, posts a thread, and then they decide when it ends.

Not so much.

You can give yourself a nice pat on the back for that, but it does not change the fact that you are coming across as an ungrateful little "Pup*".

*Not the word I'd elect to use, but seeing as I have some concept of how a discussion forum works, I might as well abide by the rules...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

I could buy and sell each one of you plebs. Haha only jokin guys but seriously OP, grow up or buy a lotto ticket.

Worrying about which socio-economic class you fall into is probably the greatest waste of time there is. It's such an insignificant and petty concern; being begrudging over it is more a reflection of your view of yourself than it is about your hate for your parents or of the class you percieve yourself to belong to. Being envious of others because of their social class is a long and pointless race, and to quote Baz Luhrmann: "the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with yourself".

(And by the way, I'm not middle class).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

o.O

Lolz, I don't even know what these things (middle class, etc) mean - why can't people just get on with their lives.

What am I? I'm just class. :cool:

whos_awesome.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I know for a fact that's a lie,ya bum :D

I'd be working class,but trust me I remember when times were tough here and I also know from experience that there's a lot more to life than money,Take it from me kids what you think matters and what matters are a lot different,life's too short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The notion of a class system is left over from the ages of industrial britain and is almost meaningless in the 21st century. What do you mean by middle class OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Officially, I'm regarded as being "socio-economically disadvantaged" and am eligible for a number of grants because of it. However, I have never been short of anything in my life because my parents did a damn good job of raising me and my siblings.

So I don't feel like I belong in any class system whatsoever.

why can't people just get on with their lives.
    +1
    What am I? I'm just class. :cool:
    I can think of a LOT of words to describe you, Rickmeister, but surprisingly enough that's a long way down the list! :D

I know for a fact that's a lie,ya bum :D

I'd be working class,but trust me I remember when times were tough here and I also know from experience that there's a lot more to life than money,Take it from me kids what you think matters and what matters are a lot different,life's too short

What would you reckon I am then Ginj?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Well Boo-hoo the government pays your fees, I'm a measly 1k above the cut off, hence no grant, my dad is a self employed carpenter, I pay my own way thru uni with savings from the summer and week to week by giving grinds. Been working summers since i turned 15.
    In regards a class system, i went to a really crap rural school, worked hard and now i'm in TCD. In regards upper class attitudes etc I'v friends from all strata, no problems, I'm on the board in a black tie society, I travel quite a bit with any excess income i may have.

Agenda for this summer, save 1500 for uni next yr + a rent deposit, also treating myself to a new SLR camera, off to Paris next week and Berlin in August, albeit on the cheap but will be fun nonetheless
    Basically OP grow up, you control your circumstances, not your parents. If you dont like your situation, fix it. Where theres a will theres a way

I cant get a job this summer, Therefore no savings. Is there an unemployed class?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I call myself upper class cause I can't get a freakin grant for college...........!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Officially, I'm regarded as being "socio-economically disadvantaged" and am eligible for a number of grants because of it. However, I have never been short of anything in my life because my parents did a damn good job of raising me and my siblings.

So I don't feel like I belong in any class system whatsoever.
    This.

Although there is something of a class divide in the LC forum, mostly because a lot of those stupid "You're from the institute GTFO" comments have been made recently regarding college fees.

Officially, I am definitely 100% working class though. It doesn't affect my life, my parents provide my brothers and I with everything we need, it just means I have to deal with a few more scumbags and junkies than the D4 heads. And I get grants, subsidies and hopefully a points reduction, suck it rich people!

(Also if you wear Dubes you're either middle class or a wannabe D4... Or a sailor...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

phasers wrote: »
    This.

Although there is something of a class divide in the LC forum, mostly because a lot of those stupid "You're from the institute GTFO" comments have been made recently regarding college fees.

Officially, I am definitely 100% working class though. It doesn't affect my life, my parents provide my brothers and I with everything we need, it just means I have to deal with a few more scumbags and junkies than the D4 heads. And I get grants, subsidies and hopefully a points reduction, suck it rich people!

(Also if you wear Dubes you're either middle class or a wannabe D4... Or a sailor...)
    or a towel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

brought up middlish class. financially, well, my dad was an accountant, so there was always money, just not for spending :P it's funny at how the value of money seems to have been interpretted by myself and my siblings. for me, i'll usually save some and spend some, usually saving up for something (in the short term at the moment, im saving up to go snowboarding next month, in long term, it's for a tattoo next february) while my bro just gets paid and spends the lot in one go, while my sister just sort of hoards it, afraid to see the bank balance drop.

if we wanted things like computer games etc as kids, we had to save up and buy them ourselves. things like musical instruments, the parentals were more likely to go halves with us or something, as it was something they approved of a lot more.

since ive moved, i think i'd identify a lot more with the 'working class' than with the middle class. my partner's sister is very middle class, and it always feels a little alien listening to conversation there, or looking around the huge house. im pretty poor, as is my partner, and tbh, i have no problem with that. it's a bit of a pain in the arse as saving up for stuff does take just about forever, and even just the conflict between staying warm at winter and the knowledge that the heating bill is gonna be such a bitch if we do...

but, tbh, im happy. ive great friends, a nice home, i spend my spare time surfing, and skating and spending time with mates - the best things in life are free.

Advertisement