Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Eddings RIP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Oh that's a shame. He'd be one of the first big fantasy authors I read back in my teens - I believe I read all of the Belgariad, Mallorean, Elenium and Tamuli series. I enjoyed them at the time, although I felt he reused the same archetypes too much (e.g. Sparhawk = (Bel)Garion). He also introduced my irritation with prophecies (knowing everybody was safe until the end) but yet I still have fond memories and I think his series was the first fantasy one I read that went beyond a trilogy! RIP - May Polgara et al light your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's very sad to hear. The very first fantasy novels I ever read was 'The Belgariad' series. I fell in love with them. He was a great author. I would love if his work ever made it to the big screen.

RIP David Eddings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

My first fantasy read was Belgareth the socerer, many moons ago on a plane to Canada. Certainly wet my apetite for fantasy.

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

sad i suppose but i have to say and i know its gonna make me sound like an asshole but he is no loss to the fantasy/scifi readers out there, i thought his writing very very poor and never understood peoples like of his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    sad i suppose but i have to say and i know its gonna make me sound like an asshole but he is no loss to the fantasy/scifi readers out there, i thought his writing very very poor and never understood peoples like of his work.

He was never the most original awe inspiring author but his books were enjoyable for anyone just interested in a light fantasy/magic read with reasonably good v evil themes.
    Similiar to Feist and no less enjoyable for me and a few million others.

The mills and boons of fantasy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Ah thats really sad, the belgariad series were the first fantasy books I ever read when I was very very young. fond memories, RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭starchild

i think he was a lot of peoples introduction to reading fantasy when they were young

RIP David Eddings

Advertisement