Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sign the petition. Create a happier world.

Options
  • 09-06-2009 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Left 4 Dead 2 has been announced and as many of you know, it's announcement has horrified tones of gamers around the world and these gamers, alongside myself will be attempting to boycott the release of Left 4 Dead to as a standalone game.

We make a fair few points on reasoning for the boycott, all of which I find agreeable. Here are our points.

WE RECOGNIZE:

-Valve is a company with financial needs and cannot be expected to survive without the release of new games.

-Judgment cannot be passed on the quality of Left 4 Dead 2 until its release.

-Left 4 Dead was, and is, a quality game which deserves the praise of the entire gaming community.

WE ARE COMMITTED:

-To holding Valve to its promise of free, continual updates to Left 4 Dead in order to build and sustain the community.

-To keeping the Left 4 Dead community together in order to improve the quality of online gaming.

-To supporting the model of continual updates Valve has set forth with its staple products like Team Fortress 2.

WE BELIEVE:

-The release of Left 4 Dead 2 as a stand-alone sequel will split the communities and decrease the quality of multiplayer gaming.

-The announced content of Left 4 Dead 2 does not warrant a stand-alone, full-priced sequel and should instead become updates (free or otherwise) for Left 4 Dead.

-Left 4 Dead has not yet received the support and content which Valve has repeatedly stated will be delivered.

-The release of Left 4 Dead 2 will make Left 4 Dead an obsolete purchase and inferior piece of software after only one year since release.

WE REQUEST:

-That Valve honor its commitment to release ongoing periodic content for Left 4 Dead.

-That Left 4 Dead 2 not be released as a stand-alone, full-priced sequel but as either a free update to Left 4 Dead or an expansion with full compatibility with basic Left 4 Dead owners.

-That Left 4 Dead owners be given discounts for Left 4 Dead 2, should it be released as premium content.

Therefore, we - the members of this Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott - promise to abstain from the purchase of Left 4 Dead 2 until our requests are addressed.

Want to join this boycott? Click Here!

And please if you have the original on Xbox, don't make stupid comments please!

There are over 20,000 participants! Wooo!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ah seriously, F off! A company makes a game and you're complaining because they're making a sequel FOR YOU!!!! They owe you nothing. If you don't want to play it, don't buy it. L4D will still be catered for while the rest of us enjoy a bigger, better game.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

/epic faceplam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Freeze952

humanji wrote: »
    Ah seriously, F off! A company makes a game and you're complaining because they're making a sequel FOR YOU!!!! They owe you nothing. If you don't want to play it, don't buy it. L4D will still be catered for while the rest of us enjoy a bigger, better game.

-Judgment cannot be passed on the quality of Left 4 Dead 2 until its release.

I played Counter-Strike when I was 10, back then it was a half life 2 mod.
    Valve promised alot of stuff for the retail version and they brought it, now they are deceiving us because of Microsoft... WE CREATED THEM!

It's not like Valve to complete a game in a year, i'm thinking a deficit in quality for L4D2. Compare Team Fortress 1 and 2, There is a huge difference in quality and Release date! With Team Fortress 2 being the better candidate.

I'm only protesting for what I see fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ichmfacepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I like L4D.. will the new one not have anything new in it, or something??

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    I like L4D.. will the new one not have anything new in it, or something??

No, what is new that is being released in L4D2 should be downloadable content for L4D1 as promised by Valve!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I want to use a facepalm graphic, but I couldn't be arsed.

A sequel that improves the gameplay, improves the multi-player options, improves the AI, adds 4 or 5 full new campaigns, and feeds the zombie killing desires of the hungry horde gets thumbs up from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

OP:

1) Its a game - the announcement of a sequel to a video game doesn't usually horrify anyone except people who have never been out in the real world.

2) They don't give a **** if you boycott it - they are making games to release for profit, not deciding to cancel titles because some childish fanboys get in a twist over a new one.

3) They don't owe you or your like minded accquaintances anything. They have no "commitment" to you as you put it - you paid for a license to use one of their products, not 50% of their shares so you can say what they release and don't.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Actually some of this merits repeating:
    -The release of Left 4 Dead 2 as a stand-alone sequel will split the communities and decrease the quality of multiplayer gaming.

Says who? How does anyone know? How will MP gaming degrade? If someone does know all this, may I have the winning lottery numbers for the next six months? Also, let me know when I'm going to get laid next, so I can plan my personal hygeine requirements accordingly.
    -The announced content of Left 4 Dead 2 does not warrant a stand-alone, full-priced sequel and should instead become updates (free or otherwise) for Left 4 Dead.

If it has more content than the original, does it not logically merit the same price (not that the price has actually been announced yet)? How about they call it an add-on but charge for it? Or they could call it Mildrid and coax it to write children's novels.
    -Left 4 Dead has not yet received the support and content which Valve has repeatedly stated will be delivered.

Yes it has. Leaving aside the fact that the last 2 campaigns really should have been in the original release - assume they were for a bit; if a patch came with just the Survival mode, I think people would have said: "I am satisfied - Valve are supporting this game". That all got lost in the "ARGH that doesn't count because it should have blah blah" wailing. Who knows what else is coming down the tracks? Valve have said they will continue to support L4D1 but **** those liars right? We're the internet, we can tell the future. We predicted laser sharks having sex with pianos. Just literally ****loads of stuff from modders is coming. New campaigns and god (or perhaps the petition author/deity) knows what else.
    -The release of Left 4 Dead 2 will make Left 4 Dead an obsolete purchase and inferior piece of software after only one year since release.

I'm pretty sure L4D1 will still be playable in November. If L4D2 ships with all of L4D1 as well, then that's great news for anyone who buys that and didn't have the prequel? What about the rest of us who unfairly paid for L4D1? We've had a fine time gorging ourselves on brains for the previous 12 months.

Retarded argument is retarded. Utterly so.

They are making a new game AND they'll be making content for the old. Seriously, get over yourself. The company wants money. That's it. Why is that a shock to you? And how many other companies say one thing and do another? How many of these have you campaigned against?

As I said, nobody is forcing you to buy the game. But if you think you can mod L4D to have all the updates that L4D2 will have, then off you go. The SDK will be out soon, so there's nothing stopping you. And once you fail at that, maybe you'll understand why it isn't a simpy case of a few patches giving it just as many features as L4D2.
    Maximilian wrote:
    Or they could call it Mildrid and coax it to write children's novels.
    lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

How do you know there wont be more DLC for L4D?

Seriously guys, man up and just look forward to some more L4D action like the rest of us...

Mr E wrote: »

A sequel that improves the gameplay, improves the multi-player options, improves the AI, adds 4 or 5 full new campaigns, and feeds the zombie killing desires of the hungry horde gets thumbs up from me.

And all this was promised to be €20 not €60 and as downloadable content for L4D1! They said that for L4D1 they would improve 'The Director', they haven't yet. Add a tone of campaigns, they haven't yet. They said new weapons would be implemented, there is no new weapons yet. There is can't be any severe gameplay changes made within a year! They should have fixed there 'matchmaking' system in the first place!

tman wrote: »
    How do you know there wont be more DLC for L4D?

Seriously guys, man up and just look forward to some more L4D action like the rest of us...

I never said that! There WILL be no quality L4D DLCs released, they are working on L4D2 that way more important to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Why are people making such a big song and dance over this? Just dont buy the game, so many people will be buying L4D2 that 20,000 people will be a drop in the bucket in the overall sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Have they cast what will/wont be in this game in stone or something? I haven't seen much about L4D 2. This is weird, man!

Freeze952 wrote: »
    I never said that! There WILL be no quality L4D DLCs released, they are working on L4D2 that way more important to them!
    Seen into the future then, have we? There's still a long while to go before it's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Mr E wrote: »

Don't lie, you couldn't find one better than mine so you gave up :D
    Freeze952 wrote: »