Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimus question

Options
  • 09-06-2009 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭

Hi, I currently have my domain name and an "email lite" package with another hosting provider and am currently 'shopping around'.

The 'email lite' hosting package simply gives me my email address and aliases and a 5mb (yes, 5mb!) email storage allowance. This costs €15 excl vat p.a. And the dot com domain costs me another €15 ex vat. I currently point my domain name at free webspace provided by my broadband provider.

So my question is about the minimus package - I see "email" is included, together with diskspace (I'm ignoring the other things included as I really want nothing more simple than myemail@mydomain and the domain itself.)

Does the minimus email have a 'storage' allowance like I currently have or does this form part of the "traffic allowance"? And am I right in saying the effective cost for what I want, with Blacknight, would be the €49.95 plus €6.75 domain cost = 56.70 plus vat per year? Or should I be keeping what I have - use the free webspace and put up with the tiny email allowance?

Thanks, sorry if I'm asking any dumb questions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Hi
    The Minimus comes with 10 gigs of storage space, which you can use for email or web content

Storage and traffic are two different things.

Storage is the amount of space you have at your disposal, while the traffic is in relation to the web / email etc traffic to / from it

If you moved the domain + hosting to us you'd be able to have it all in the one place ie. email, website hosting and domain for the amount you mentioned :)

If you have any other questions let us know
    Thanks

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

thanks Michelle

Finally, what's the difference (from my basic requirements point of view) in choosing Windows IIS6 or Windows IIS7 (apart from the fact that I seem to be able to get a discount offer on the latter!)

and when moving a domain is there much downtime as regards my email address i.e. will I lose a few emails sent to me during the switchover?

Thanks.

IIS7 / Windows 2008 is the latest and greatest :) Unless you're doing something that requires the older version you might as well get the new one ...

As for the downtime ..

If you get everything setup on our end before you make the final switch (ie. change the nameservers) you should be able to avoid too many issues, though checking email in both locations might be a good idea

Advertisement