Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your first guitar

• 09-06-2009 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭

What was the first guitar you ever bought/got as a present and do you still have it and use it today?

My first guitar was a cheap thing i bought in Argos around 4 years ago. Its called Encore and it was a black strat copy with one pickup and whammy bar. It served it's purpose until i got a Telecaster as a xmas present.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Eros mkII Les Paul (made in Japan) with Di Marzio bridge pickup in sunburst... about 1983 or so.. Still hanging on the wall of my parents house :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

A hohner acoustic that I got for christmas. I still have it but don't play it anymore.

I've gone up in the world of the guitars since then. (thankfully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

my first was a sx strat copy, awful guitar but i do still have and use it occassionly and cause it is pure ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

Welease wrote: »
    Eros mkII Les Paul (made in Japan) with Di Marzio bridge pickup in sunburst... about 1983 or so.. Still hanging on the wall of my parents house :)

i could take it off your parents hands ;) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Ian C

A godawful SX acoustic, with woeful action. I swear the strings were several inches off the fretboard by the time you got to the 12th fret! I loved it to bits! :D Still knocking about at home, but rarely play it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

An SX bass, it did me well for about a year until i was given a westfield acoustic as a present.
    To this day, it's the nicest acoustic i've ever played, and i've played an array of martins and the likes.
    Just feels right for me i guess, and of course sounds great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 goldtop57

I had a pearl les paul I bought it in the secondhand music shop up a laneway the end of capel st in the mid eighties . The guy who sold it to me told me it was fitted with dimarzios ( i hadnt a clue what dimarzios were) but thats what sold me. Smacked it off a wall in drunken horseplay a few years later ,

still miss it icon9.gif

aaah the memories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

c. 1974, "Jedson" MIJ tele-a-like, the cheapest, sh!ttiest solidbody then available in Jack Glynn's excellent (AFAICR) music store in Limerick. My kids found it in the in-laws attic a few years back :rolleyes:
    They don't make them like that no mo'! And we really should all get down on our knees and offer our sincere thanks for that! I kid you not.
    Check out the odd stoptail/ashtray yoke and the "string tree", the non-intonatable bridge and of course the quite nice looking plywood body!

2630582005_0f5470c9df.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

My first guitar is a Yamaha erg121 that I still use constantly, even for recording. The bridge pup is pants and play doesnt begin to describe the tuners but its got a nice sound overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

My first guitar was a dirt cheap 'Encore' Les Paul colour Ebony. It was alright not great, the best thing about it was that it had an amazing kill switch! :rolleyes: Good Times! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

70's Valenciana spanish acoustic that was actually made in Spain. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭IrishCian

Mine was one of these godawful Spanish stlye Argos jobs...
    but i dont count it as a real guitar.
    My first real one was a Stagg acoustic, beautiful. Always use it, just sounds lovely. Beautiful look too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

A Dixon Strat, when I was 9 I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Mine was 1963/4 'Angelica', beautiful guitar, or was till i decapitated it... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

a ****ty epiphone acoustic, still have it, its a piece of crap, we don't get on well at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

1st was acoustic fender, solid or semi solid or something, whatever the better one was

2nd was squire stratt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

argos strat jobby....

turned it into a frankenstein and then took it apart...

in guitar heaven now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Mine was a hand me down from my brother in law, an argos hohner or similarly awful bottom of the line classical. Moved on to a nice alvaro from there and still play it a fair bit. More of an electric player lately though.

That first guitar wasn't the worst really, my first electric was so bad (well that or its amp) that I thought electric guitars were awful until I got my strat a few months ago.

My first guitar is now dead... I had loads of people sign it with permanent marker, kept it in a bag for a few years then rock star smashed it to bits (harder than tv would suggest) good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

50 year anniversary MIM strat. Have it today, alot of eh... character in it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

My first guitar was a second (or possibly third) hand bass that I spotted for sale in a local music shop here in Galway back in 1995. I can't remember for sure but I think it was a Tanglewood bass. It was a horrible guitar - the neck dived and the volume and tone controls were very unresponsive. Thankfully only had it for a few months until I had enough money saved to trade it in for a much better Squier Precision bass that I still have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

goldtop57 wrote: »
    I had a pearl les paul I bought it in the secondhand music shop up a laneway the end of capel st in the mid eighties . The guy who sold it to me told me it was fitted with dimarzios ( i hadnt a clue what dimarzios were) but thats what sold me. Smacked it off a wall in drunken horseplay a few years later ,

still miss it icon9.gif

aaah the memories!

I also got a second-hand Pearl Les Paul copy in the (late) '80s, too: £120 from MM. It does indeed have DiMarzios in it. Great guitar! Slim 60s-style neck, set neck, great pickups. Alder body, I think, rosewood neck. I still have it and still use it. I thought I needed an "upgrade" a few years ago and got a 1998 Gibson LP. The Pearl is as good, I believe, though different. Only ever seen one other in my life so far. That was the first guitar I bought...

I started playing on a no-name classical, before borrowing my brother-in-law's Avon (a JHS brand, I believe) SG copy for a few years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

The lad from from Blink (the irish one) plays a Pearl LP style yolk. Cant be too bad if someone uses one professionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dave Total

I had a guitar called a "Phantom Rhythm Master", It looked like it had been struck by lightning, i thought it sounded great at the time. I still have it for sentiment, though i hope i never have to play it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Kiso-Suzuki EE100 from the 70's. Absolutely love the sound of that guitar. Still play it regularly and only recently found out about the relative rarity of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 goldtop57

I also got a second-hand Pearl Les Paul copy in the (late) '80s, too: £120 from MM. It does indeed have DiMarzios in it. Great guitar! Slim 60s-style neck, set neck, great pickups. Alder body, I think, rosewood neck. I still have it and still use it. I thought I needed an "upgrade" a few years ago and got a 1998 Gibson LP. The Pearl is as good, I believe, though different. Only ever seen one other in my life so far. That was the first guitar I bought...

They were a great guitar, built like a tank id love to get another one

still have a pearl chorus pedal i bought around the same time to make the ****ty ross amp i started with sound better . It still sounds great

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

My first Guitar was a white mexican Fender Strat around 1996 , with the fender in black lettering( i havnt seen another). It looked Hendrixtastic!!!!!!!!!!
    The neck warped after 2 or 3 years and it taught me to be more careful with temp changes and storing my guitars now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ibanez GSA 60 as a present for my 40th birthday! Still have it but rarely play it now due to upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

hohner countryman electro-acustic. Piece of crap, and i got totally ripped off by the guy in the shop. Dont go there any more :) The action was ok, but it sounded pretty bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

2035592585a9747490959l.jpg

learned to play on this hofner verithin, used to be my aunts, inherited it last year, i think that kind of makes it my first one :)

• Advertisement

2035592585a9747490959l.jpg

learned to play on this hofner verithin, used to be my aunts, inherited it last year, i think that kind of makes it my first one :)

Very nice! Such a cool guitar to have as a first one.

I remember when I was younger one of my uncles had some sorta singlecut hofner. I'm not sure of the model, it was a pretty cool guitar though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

First one was a Richwood acoutstic, which has a surprisingly nice tone. Unfortunately, the action is ridiculously hard, and I attribute my lack of ability on the guitar to this. ;)
    Second was a "Rocket" electric, strat imitation. It came with a marshall amp in a kit-thingy. Still use the amp. Don't use the guitar. Sounded and felt like utter sh*te!

Dord wrote: »
    Very nice! Such a cool guitar to have as a first one.

I remember when I was younger one of my uncles had some sorta singlecut hofner. I'm not sure of the model, it was a pretty cool guitar though.

i know, i really landed on my feet... she let me play it through her roland jc60. it was all downhill from there i'm afraid

i know, i really landed on my feet... she let me play it through her roland jc60. it was all downhill from there i'm afraid

Ain't nothin wrong with a JC60! Do you still have it? :)
    The JC's have the nicest clean tone ever. Pretty much a standard.

Dord wrote: »
    Ain't nothin wrong with a JC60! Do you still have it? :)
    The JC's have the nicest clean tone ever. Pretty much a standard.

its around somewhere, probably in an attic. cleans sounded great, built in chorus was ok, distortion wasnt too brilliant. last i remembered, the aunt blew a speaker in it and went back to using an old HH combo. dont think she ever got it repaired. i must dig it out and try get it going again

You totally should. The distortion sucks on them but the cleans are probably the best around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I had (and still have) one of those Squier Affinity strats that comes in the beginners pack with the 15w amp and rubbish cable and all. It use to be black and white, now it's white with an orange pick guard with some stuff written in permanent marker, two pickups, no pots, a kill switch, and all the strings are tuned to D. I still love it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Edja

Bought for me in 1986 by my Mum and Dad in Athlone when I was 13, a Marlin Acoustic! Deadly guitar....for a beginner! Action was fantastic! 120 pounds at the time! 2 tone silver with red binding..... Yesh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Black Encore acoustic bought back in 1990 or thereabouts. Had grover tuners and was pretty good for £120 punts. Smashed it in a fit of rage, rock and roll style :D Kept the grovers though and now they adorn my Washburn acoustic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

A shite SX percussion copy that i detest,but sadly still is my only bass:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

It is by fate that I found this thread I tell you! My first ever guitar was a bottle green encore strat and I'm playing it right now! A word of advice. NEVER get rid of you're first guitar!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gavinmurph

I got a used 1970s ( i rekon) ibanez j 200 copy for my 15th birthday in a lovely cherry sunburst it was the biz sold it to a friend about 10 years later who sprayed it matt black. I was totally disgusted

mikeglee wrote: »
    A word of advice. NEVER get rid of you're first guitar!

Theres a lesson to be learned from this younguns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭evil-yoda

An argos cheapo classical guitar! and them a Samick Greg Bennett...
    i eventually got a really cool washburn acoustic... cost around 900.
    now i have an ibanez rg series... awesome guitar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

my mexican tele...

(here on the left)

2738943700055079378S600x600Q85.jpg

it had a great neck,but crap pickups

i miss that plank....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yamaha pacifica, still have it and it got used untill i started a refinish job and then ran outta cash :(. Shame cause the guitar kicks major testicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Hofner Acoustic bought from Perfect Pitch when I was 14. Saw it - wanted it - saved and bought it. Had a neck bigger than normal, wouldnt stay in tune. But I was chuffed, learnt how to play on it. Neck warped, got rid. Should have kept it and used it for slide work.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

good oul 96 anniversary squier strat from dundalk shop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 weatherford

acoustic person here.... first one was a new Yammy nylon string. Gave it to someone else (who sold it :mad:)

Second for me was my grandfather's 1898 Washburn which I had rebuilt (it was a mess!) for steel strings. Still have it but it's back in the shop!

Then I bought (new at the time) a 1975 Gurian J-M - hand built in New Hampshire, US, by a guy who is considered to be the father of modern luthiery (Michael Gurian). Still have it; still play it; still love it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Bealzebub259

A Harley Benton MS-11BK electric guitar, was in a set. €99 for the guitar, amp, tuner, bag and strap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

satellite les paul,splatter painted by my big brother to look like ever so stone roses! :D

the neck pickup didn't work so you could do loads of tom morello stuff with the pickup selector!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Old thread buzz.

Anyway mine was an Epiphone acoustic (AJ-10), and it was bought when epiphone had gibson on the truss rod cover. My parents bought it for me for £250 iirc, which i'm sure was a complete and utter rip-off! It's still the only acoustic i have though, despite having 5 electric guitars. I only restrung it yesterday...'tis alright i suppose i really should upgrade to something better, but im never really sure if i'd get enough use out of an acoustic to justify the cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement